Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you have been rejected from Cambridge, it's overrated like hell
    If you have been accepted then No, it is most certainly not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miligan)
    If you have been rejected from Cambridge, it's overrated like hell
    If you have been accepted then No, it is most certainly not
    Yeah I'd say its quite an arbirary question, since both lots of people has bias

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divinelord)
    There are but they are still less than what most universities offer. The last 2 years are just the bare essential required by the GMC to get that degree qualifying you to do medicine (a round of the different departments in medicine).
    OK, have your rant, but don't start pulling spurious facts out of thin air.

Cambridge runs a 3 year, GMC approved, clinical school - which will prepare students just as well as every other 3 year, GMC approved, clinical school. I'd love to see some quantifiable sources that demonstrate that Cam offers less than most other schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    OK, have your rant, but don't start pulling spurious facts out of thin air.

Cambridge runs a 3 year, GMC approved, clinical school - which will prepare students just as well as every other 3 year, GMC approved, clinical school. I'd love to see some quantifiable sources that demonstrate that Cam offers less than most other schools.
    I hear that Addenbrookes is very well equipped and the clinical school is excellent :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I dont think Cambridge is overrated in terms of academics...because even if it once was , all the hype would wind up bringing in the best researchers, lecturers etc eventually making Cambridge an as academically sound place anyway(if that makes sense)
    I do think Cambridge is overrated though in terms of what it can do for you, maybe especially with something like medicine where your degree is your degree really wherever it comes from.

ReputationRep:
    It is very old and seen as distinguished.

Personally I think it is over rated and a lot of people go their because of the name.
    I do think that for many subject you can get taught better in uni's outside oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overclocked)
    I hear that Addenbrookes is very well equipped and the clinical school is excellent :dontknow:
    That's what I heard :dontknow:

All of the GMC approved schools are excellent - that's why they're GMC approved.

Birmingham superhospital... :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what subject you are talking about. It is second to none in many sciences and some arts and generally a very nice place to be in. Its the ethos that attracted me there.

However, there are a few where it lacks. Medicine for example where the training area is quite small (you can transfer to london after 3rd year if you want) and the GMC + many hospital administration think that Cambridge graduates are too 'sciency' and haven't necessarily developed the clinical skills required to the extent they want (my really good friends dad reporting who is in the committee and he was disappointed I applied to cambs so this isnt any post rejection rant)

Its the environment, people and ethos that I think are the best aspects of cambs.
    I can understand your reasoning and you obviously have a fairly good source (though if he hasn't been directly involved in medical education here he may not know the full story) but I'd disagree with that for a number of reasons. Cambridge's training area is in fact rather large as clinical students spend half the year in regional hospitals; whereas afaik students at london hospitals have a much more limited selection of "satelite" hospital due to the high concentration of clinical schools in the capital. Furthermore Cambridgshires hospitals contain some of the highest levels of medical expertise in the land- Addenbrookes has a famous research reputation and Papworth is one of the premier transplantation units in the country (the first UK heart transplant was done there!).

I get the impression the GMC are often at odds with cambridge for their resistance to change to the more "new age" medical education techniques such as PBL and early patient contact- these are kept to a minimum requirement. While these have their value cambridge can demonstrate a tried and tested approach to instilling the basic science including pathology, pharmacology and anatomy (taught incredibly well with good use of disection, something many other med schools lack) with the opportunity for research at an undergraduate level then follow it up with three years of clinical graduate teaching (hardly lacking) which gives you the opportunity to access patients once you already know enough to understand what you're seeing.

Sorry for the rather long response- I don't want it to be seen as an attack but instead a view from the inside so to speak. I hope the rest of your applications go well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    That's what I heard :dontknow:

All of the GMC approved schools are excellent - that's why they're GMC approved.

Birmingham superhospital... :coma:
    Main reason I picked Birmingham :yep: :coma:

Hope exams go alright for you!

ReputationRep:
    Its reputation. And I hear the city is nice (nicer than Oxford apparently). I think people who say it's overrated are probably just jealous because they didn't get in there :P either that or they did go there and genuinely hated the place, but I've never heard of any such person :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchangelMedic)
    It is a very respected institution in terms of academics etc... The courses are very academically challenging and the curriculum is supposedly second to none. To that end I guess it is highly sought after. That combined with the world class choral music etc at Cambridge makes it quite special.

However, I do think it is overrated as, especially for Medicine and other science based courses, there are other excellent universities which deliver just as good an academic experience. It is all about those people who base their research on reputation alone which is not the most important factor.

... and I'm not biased just because I got rejected
    Like King's for example. :yep:

Cambridge does seem quite special in comparison to the other Universities that I have visited so far. But whether or not it is overrated...I'll decide that if/when I get there.

ReputationRep:
    It's arguably not over-rated in terms of aesthetics. The Backs has a grandeur and sense of landscaping reminiscent of the greatest classical cities. Many of the colleges are very well preserved, with a variety of contrasting architecture.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the lack of clinical contact in the first 3 years is that much of an issue, because in those years it's not like you're able to actually treat a patient, just observe at the most and learn.
    But if you're a fairly good communicator, the people skills needed in the job for medicine will all be learnt in years 3-6.
    A person who is awful in social situations would probably face this issue at any university, and at other places, where they use PBL for instance, the teaching method is such that, if you see a patient without the symptoms you have been taught about, you wouldn't have enough scientific knowledge to easily know what else could be wrong..
    Plus, I think the natural sciences aspect of the medical degree was the biggest attraction for me, as well as falling in love with the college at the open day.
    I don't think Cambridge is over-rated..

(Original post by munro90)
    I can understand your reasoning and you obviously have a fairly good source (though if he hasn't been directly involved in medical education here he may not know the full story) but I'd disagree with that for a number of reasons. Cambridge's training area is in fact rather large as clinical students spend half the year in regional hospitals; whereas afaik students at london hospitals have a much more limited selection of "satelite" hospital due to the high concentration of clinical schools in the capital. Furthermore Cambridgshires hospitals contain some of the highest levels of medical expertise in the land- Addenbrookes has a famous research reputation and Papworth is one of the premier transplantation units in the country (the first UK heart transplant was done there!).

I get the impression the GMC are often at odds with cambridge for their resistance to change to the more "new age" medical education techniques such as PBL and early patient contact- these are kept to a minimum requirement. While these have their value cambridge can demonstrate a tried and tested approach to instilling the basic science including pathology, pharmacology and anatomy (taught incredibly well with good use of disection, something many other med schools lack) with the opportunity for research at an undergraduate level then follow it up with three years of clinical graduate teaching (hardly lacking) which gives you the opportunity to access patients once you already know enough to understand what you're seeing.

Sorry for the rather long response- I don't want it to be seen as an attack but instead a view from the inside so to speak. I hope the rest of your applications go well
    Nice to hear an opinion from the inside. I live in bury st edmunds which is where the West Suffolk Hospital is where a bit of the cambridge training goes on and I did my work experience there. I met many cambridge graduates and they all knew their stuff very well and the first thing that struck about them is how they carry themselves. I am not at all saying they are posh or pompous, infact I quite liked it and thats what actually made to apply to cambridge. Some of them admitted that lack of early clinical contact can be frustrating but they were content with what they got and praised Addenbrookes for being excellent. It might not at all be reaching a consensus but senior doctors thought others who had early clinical contact were somehow 'better'. This might be consequential of the stigma cambridge attracts or a manifestation of perhaps not having the best bunch in there.

Plus when you are done with FY1/2 then it largely comes down to your performance at that stage before you go to the next one. So on and so forth and many say it doesnt really matter where you come from, you must be good to have made it as a medic.

So in conclusion I would say that perhaps the best bit about cambridge isnt the fantastic facilities but the environment and ethos you will live in for a crucial stage in your life. I am gutted to have missed that and perhaps just a bit bitter earlier (heard some bad news about how there was a messup between our school and cambs which effected everyones applications but I will save on the story) to have made a coherent argument.
    Would you consider it ludicrous to reapply to cambridge even if I do get into a medical school this year (say manchester) ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Would you consider it ludicrous to reapply to cambridge even if I do get into a medical school this year (say manchester) ?
    I don't think it's ludicrous, but you would have to be aware of the risk that you may not get in anywhere at all the next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Beautiful surroundings
    Top quality teachings
    Collegiate system
    Supervision/Tutorial system
    Vast range of intellectual extra curriculars
    Amazing prestige
    Best resources
    Fantastic architecture
    Very traditional foundations/roots
    Top alumni
    Unique in the UK (along with Oxford)
    Earns a great deal of respect
    Everything you could ever want from your degree

However, I would say this is the most important one:

Its academic excellence

IMO university should be about your education - first and foremost. Not the social life, the alcohol or the drugs - just developing your education.
    To re-iterate my point - the vast range of intellectual societies - you know what I mean by that.

It's practically the perfect university. :yep:

Anyone that says "oh but the hard work" - surely one would love to be challenged and develop their academic potential as much as they can?

I personally think it's underrated. :yep:

Even if you took away its reputation and prestige - it's an amazing university.
    You're back!!

That list made me feel even more enthusiastic for next year lol.

For the people who practically worship Oxbridge, it is overrated. But otherwise Cambridge is a pretty awesome place, and it deserves recognition as such. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyh10)
    Like King's for example. :yep:

Cambridge does seem quite special in comparison to the other Universities that I have visited so far. But whether or not it is overrated...I'll decide that if/when I get there.
    exactly! :p:

ReputationRep:
    It SO is. Apply for Oxford instead :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Nice to hear an opinion from the inside. I live in bury st edmunds which is where the West Suffolk Hospital is where a bit of the cambridge training goes on and I did my work experience there. I met many cambridge graduates and they all knew their stuff very well and the first thing that struck about them is how they carry themselves. I am not at all saying they are posh or pompous, infact I quite liked it and thats what actually made to apply to cambridge. Some of them admitted that lack of early clinical contact can be frustrating but they were content with what they got and praised Addenbrookes for being excellent. It might not at all be reaching a consensus but senior doctors thought others who had early clinical contact were somehow 'better'. This might be consequential of the stigma cambridge attracts or a manifestation of perhaps not having the best bunch in there.

Plus when you are done with FY1/2 then it largely comes down to your performance at that stage before you go to the next one. So on and so forth and many say it doesnt really matter where you come from, you must be good to have made it as a medic.

So in conclusion I would say that perhaps the best bit about cambridge isnt the fantastic facilities but the environment and ethos you will live in for a crucial stage in your life. I am gutted to have missed that and perhaps just a bit bitter earlier (heard some bad news about how there was a messup between our school and cambs which effected everyones applications but I will save on the story) to have made a coherent argument.
    I would say so. However it really comes down to you. Are you suggesting you would take your place at manchester (Assuming you get one) then reapply while there?
    I reckon if you enjoy the course there you are better off staying as you can't guarantee getting a cambridge place and to a certain extent i think it is true that a medical degree is a medical degree (though not entirely, the different types of course will suit different people, so if you find one that suits you its probably the medical degree for you). Many cam med students only got offers from a couple of places which pretty much demonstrates med schools try to choose the students who they think will suit their course (something they rather than you are the expert at) so if cambridge reject you and manchester accept you'll probs do just fine at manchester (and possibly have more fun while you're there too). As before, all the best

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.