Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have had about 12 lessons now. I am confident driving on the road but I keep making some silly mistakes like:

Using the brake pedal to brake, when I could be using the clutch instead.

Changing gears but not applying enough gas to go forward

Jerking uncontrollably when changing gears because I come off the clutch too early or apply too much gas when changing gears causing the car to speed forward

Letting go of the steering when turning right or left; not holding on for the full turn

Today has been the worst lesson because my instructor is P*****g me off! He:

Does not have a green octagon license or a red trainee one for that matter

He has been late on so many occasions it gets me frustrated before the lesson

He undermines my every move and he even went to sleep during my lesson

We are constantly doing right and left turns.

Before anyone says it I will change him but what should I do about the technical side of things? Is it just nerves? or do I need more practice?

I am pretty nervous because I find driving so daunting!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You need more practice, and you need to get a driving instructor. The idiot you have at the moment doesn't qualify. With time, you will get better at it.

ReputationRep:
    Practice practice practice, and an approved instructor would help you loads. I used to have loads of these problems, especially the gear change ones, but I've passed my test now so you will too, I honestly never thought the day would come when I could take a test. Don't worry, it will all improve. Do you practice much?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring...ide/dg_4022528

If he's charging you money and isn't a registered driving instructor he's breaking the law.

Don't quote me on this, but I think if the instructor is taking money for the lesson and isn't displaying his badge, that's also an offence.

Get a new instructor. Your current one isn't a ****** cheap local one is he?

ReputationRep:
    Get a proper qualified driving instructor and take lessons with him, preferably getting insured on a parent's car to practice in your own time too.

That'll sort everything out. Drop this idiot of an instructor now!

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like your driving instructor is rubbish and you need a bit more practise.

When I was teaching my younger sister to drive we just took my mum’s RAV4 and went out to an unused forestry track for a day, we spent the whole day pretty much just concentrating on smooth gear changes and other basics of driving. I’ve often thought that separating the act of operating the vehicle and actually learning to drive a car should be separated, once you’ve got a firm grasp on operating the vehicle following the rules comes easily. Maybe you should set up a similar thing yourself, find a place where you aren’t going to hurt other people or come across any other traffic and spend the day just messing around for fun :yep:.

ReputationRep:
    by time you will slowly learn, dont get wound up by it, some people get it quicker than others, but practice makes its good!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone makes silly mistakes at first, but if you keep at it, it will become more and more natural, and you won't even have to think about doing half of those things - it'll come gradually.

Just try and relax before your lessons; if you're expecting it to go badly, it probably will, so try and be positive!

Definitely change your instructor ASAP though, falling asleep whilst he's supposed to be supervising you is downright dangerous! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Get a new driving instructor.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of smoothness, you kinda subconsciously learn how to do cleaner smoother gear changes. Trick is not to apply any or much gas when changing gear and be smooth with the clutch. So when changing gear, probably should take around 1-2 seconds (i think), So when you come to changing gear, its lift off gas, press down clutch slowly + smoothly, then change gear, then slowly lift clutch up to revs on engine match, then start applying gas smoothly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by max-t10)

We are constantly doing right and left turns.
    This made me laugh

I think you need a new instructor since you don't get on with this one.

ReputationRep:
    basicallyy your doin bad because your instructor is not qualified - simple

ReputationRep:
    Another instructor and more practise is what you need.

ReputationRep:
    It'll all come together soon

ReputationRep:
    Regarding your lack of driving "finesse", the solution is good instruction and plenty of practice and experience. 12 lessons is nowhere near enough. Some people can be really good at it quite soon, but some people don't grasp it easily and take longer. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

As for your instructor not displaying his badge, I can confirm this is an offence under section 123(6) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 even if he is registered or licensed. You should report him to the DSA's fraud and integrity team on 02920 581 155 (office hours only) or 02920 581 290 (out of hours). Email [email protected] giving as much information as possible, including his car registration. Chances are he may not be properly registered or licensed so your observation may well reveal the commission of a more serious offence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by max-t10)
    I have had about 12 lessons now. I am confident driving on the road but I keep making some silly mistakes like:

Using the brake pedal to brake, when I could be using the clutch instead.
    coasting is not braking

you don't put the clutch down to brake

you might use accelerator sense / mild engine braking to slow down in normal situations

Changing gears but not applying enough gas to go forward

Jerking uncontrollably when changing gears because I come off the clutch too early or apply too much gas when changing gears causing the car to speed forward
    that's just practice - also try driving in shoes with thin soles for a bit to get the handle of 'feeling' the feedback from the clutch around the bite point

Letting go of the steering when turning right or left; not holding on for the full turn

one hand should be in firm contact with the wheel at all times when in motion - and the other should be except for gear changing and moving position on the wheel

the instructor stuff - change - drop he/she/it like a tonne of hot bricks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.