Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just been reading about Zeolite being used as the catalyst for cracking, as opposed to Al2O3 and the like. I had a few questions...

What exactly is zeolite?

Are there any advantages to using it?

Why is it being used instead of the traditional catalysts? More efficient?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aylasira)
    I've just been reading about Zeolite being used as the catalyst for cracking, as opposed to Al2O3 and the like. I had a few questions...

What exactly is zeolite?

Are there any advantages to using it?

Why is it being used instead of the traditional catalysts? More efficient?
    I am just surprised your first thought isn't to wiki it, anyway here it is, from wikipedia:

Zeolites are microporous, aluminosilicate minerals commonly used as commercial adsorbents

I would think that:
    i) as a catalyst, bigger surface area is great, and it being microporous is a good thing

ii) commercial use - industrial use means it should be readily available at a reasonable price; though catalysts are resusable, you don't want a catalyst that can be contaminated with the reaction you use it for.

iii) in labs, for small scale cracking, Al2O3 will do most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    In a catalysed reaction, the pressure is lower, which i guess is cheaper so economically, it is benficial ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aakrai)
    In a catalysed reaction, the pressure is lower, which i guess is cheaper so economically, it is benficial ?
    why is pressure lower in a catalysed reaction? in haber process, the pressure is quite high compared to atmospheric pressure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    why is pressure lower in a catalysed reaction? in haber process, the pressure is quite high compared to atmospheric pressure
    oooooooo, im talking about catalytic cracking, in which the pressure is lower (relative to thermal cracking)

ReputationRep:
    I had wiki-ed it, and googled it and everything in between. But i thought TSR could provide some other information and insight.

Thank you both of you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.