Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know that the deadlines been extended to the 22nd of January but I still think that I wont be able to get a reference in time, i'm on a gap year and asked my college tutor from 2 years ago to write it again but got no response, what can I do? I called UCAS today and they said I can get my reference from 2 years ago for £10 but only if I get my tutor to approve it, do you think I should lie and say that he did approve it? I dont know what to do, I dont know anyone else that can write me a reference as I think most of my college teachers have gone, has anyone not written a reference and just written "unable to obtain" or "can obtain at a later date" or something and what have UCAS or universities said in reply?

Help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    So you've had a year to sort this out and you leave it til the week before the extended deadline! I don't think mitigation is possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    So you've had a year to sort this out and you leave it til the week before the extended deadline! I don't think mitigation is possible.
    My thoughts exactly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    That helped so much! I now have my reference! (Sarcasm at its finest)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twista999)
    Indeed, sarcasm at its finest.

--

No offence OP, but what you did is just dumb.. (haha, 'no offence'). You really should have taken care of this earlier.

ReputationRep:
    during your gap year have u been working? maybe u can get a reference from the person you worked for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster1)
    during your gap year have u been working? maybe u can get a reference from the person you worked for.
    Nope, a job is impossible atm.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, a job is impossible atm.
    well then the only thing you can do is call your college and ask someone to write you a reference, i dont think it has to be anyone who was your teacher they can just look in your files and get information.
    sorry i cant help more.

ReputationRep:
    Walk into the college and ask that way?
    Go to your old school and ask?
    You've been on a gap year, ask an employer?

Do it face to face, its much faster and your only chance to meet the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Well then you're kinda ****** aren't you?

You had two years. Why didn't you go down to the school and publicly demand it from him/her after slapping him/her?

ReputationRep:
    What have you been doing for the last two years?

ReputationRep:
    Sarcasm at it's finest? :curious:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    How did you ask your tutor? If it was using the school e-mail, then since some schools are closed it is possible that they just haven't checked this. Or if you didn't obtain this e-mail address recently then it might have changed over the last two years. Can you phone your school - even if it is closed, some admin staff might be there might be able to help you.

If you really can't obtain a reference then yes you can send your application with "reference to follow" in the box. But it's far better to send your application complete if you possibly can. if necessary, you could contact the universities that you wish to apply to and ask if they would consider you without a reference but this is probably unlikely in your situation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.