Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Any ideas for what I could compare Pride and Prejudice with? A2 English Coursework. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

Anyway, I wanted to do Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice by Austen but nooo Mr. Coursework Adviser says that that won't help me access the higher marks.
    It can be a play, a novel, a long poem or a collection of poems.
    I can have whatever question I want in the end but I'd quite like to do something women-related. I just have to be able to compare them based on their techniques and so on. :o: I'm starting to worry a bit now. My teachers told me like 2 months ago that these books would be fine, but now they've decided they're not.

PLEASE HELP

If you come up with any suggestions can you please tell me a little about the plot and why you think it would be good and then I'll go and look into them more myself.

Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... you could take a look at The Awakening by Kate Chopin - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awakening_%28novel%29
    It's about the 'awakening' of a married woman, Edna Pontellier, and the fluctuating nature of her attitude towards herself, and towards the relationships in which she's involved. There's a lot to look at in terms of imagery, language, etc, so it would certainly tick all stylistic boxes!
    Chopin was considered a feminist so you could look at presentation of the central women (you mentioned you wanted something female-related) in this case, Lizzie and Edna, and maybe Jane and Madame Ratignolle? Compare roles of women, responses to male-driven society...
    Take a look at the wiki and see what you think. Hope this helps! I'll see if I can think of anything else...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaymee)
    Hmmm... you could take a look at The Awakening by Kate Chopin - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awakening_%28novel%29
    It's about the 'awakening' of a married woman, Edna Pontellier, and the fluctuating nature of her attitude towards herself, and towards the relationships in which she's involved. There's a lot to look at in terms of imagery, language, etc, so it would certainly tick all stylistic boxes!
    Chopin was considered a feminist so you could look at presentation of the central women (you mentioned you wanted something female-related) in this case, Lizzie and Edna, and maybe Jane and Madame Ratignolle? Compare roles of women, responses to male-driven society...
    Take a look at the wiki and see what you think. Hope this helps! I'll see if I can think of anything else...
    Thanks very much
    It sounds really good, I've decided I'm going to do Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, but it sounds like a good book still, i'll Amazon it I think!
    pos rep coming your way for taking your time. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annab1684)
    Thanks very much
    It sounds really good, I've decided I'm going to do Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, but it sounds like a good book still, i'll Amazon it I think!
    pos rep coming your way for taking your time. :yes:

Oooh Mrs Dalloway is also an excellent choice! Interesting contrast in narrative style and such. :yes:
    Rep = :woo: Thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.