Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    how can you tell 2 elements on periodic table make a ionic bond or covalent bond

i know ionic bonding is metal + nonmetal

buh explain to me in a simpler way PLEASEE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jak67m)
    how can you tell 2 elements on periodic table make a ionic bond or covalent bond

Very general here, but like you said, metal(gp 1 and 2, Al in gp 13) are considered metals, and they form ionic bond with non metal(typically gp 16 to 17, ie oxygen, fluorine, etc)

Ions are formed because it is easier for them to lose/gain electrons to gain a stable noble gas configuration.

Covalent bonding is usually between non metals. Most of organic compounds are covalent bonding, ie CH4. Most gases are covalent too, ie diatomics, O2, N2, F2, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    Very general here, but like you said, metal(gp 1 and 2, Al in gp 13) are considered metals, and they form ionic bond with non metal(typically gp 16 to 17, ie oxygen, fluorine, etc)

Ions are formed because it is easier for them to lose/gain electrons to gain a stable noble gas configuration.

Covalent bonding is usually between non metals. Most of organic compounds are covalent bonding, ie CH4. Most gases are covalent too, ie diatomics, O2, N2, F2, etc.
    thank you very much... i understand now... i know all the hard stuff...and always forget all the easy stuffff HMPH!! ??P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jak67m)

Ionic Bonds are like NaCl .. where the electrostatic attraction between oppositely charged ions

Covelant Bonds = Shared pair of electrons. eg. CO2

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 13, 2010

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.