Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A Level Choices watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi eveyone

I am really having difficulty deciding on what to do for my A Levels, it is limiting me because instead of revising for mock exams I am worried about choices, applying to colleges e.t.c. I have 3 subjects I would like to study at university and I don't think i'll be making my mind up anytime soon, this is why I need your help in choosing A Levels that would allow me to do either subject at uni. My three subjects are Medicine, Law and Psychology. At school my favourite subjects are all sciences, english and history. I know I can do well academically in all the subjects I do but the choices I have to make are eating me up!

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have Biology and chemistry, you should be fine I think. Then it just depends on whether you would prefer to do more sciences or humanities. It should not matter which you choose.

ReputationRep:
    Well that really depends.

If you want to do either Medicine or Phsycology you will need Biology. Also most courses will want you to have another science, preferabley Chemistry.

Niether of those will help with Law, but they're still UCAS points. You're probabley gunna want English for Law, maybe Latin if you can get it. Other than that I'm not really sure.

I'm in sort of the same boat myself.

Tried to keep my options open to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Well that really depends.

If you want to do either Medicine or Phsycology you will need Biology. Also most courses will want you to have another science, preferabley Chemistry.

Niether of those will help with Law, but they're still UCAS points. You're probabley gunna want English for Law, maybe Latin if you can get it. Other than that I'm not really sure.

I'm in sort of the same boat myself.

Tried to keep my options open to be honest.
    Chemistry is more important than Biology for medicine. But it's highly HIGHLY advisable to do both. Also, why will neither of those help for Law? The subject requirements for Law are simply rigorous academic subjects - it doesn't matter whether they are humanities or sciences.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have Chemistry and Biology, you'll be fine. I'd take Chemistry + Biology + History/English Literature + whatever you enjoy most

ReputationRep:
    How many do you want to do? Four or five?

I'd go for biology, chemistry, pyschology, and then history and/or english literature.

That should keep your options open for most things =D though maths in there somewhere would be useful, too, i think. Hmm difficult one.

Buut i dont know if you need pyschology at a level to do it at uni? And if you dont id be tempted to do maths instead of that. But thats just me, really its up to you =D

ReputationRep:
    it depends on how many AS levels you want to take.
    i would suggest on taking 4- biology and chemistry [which would be suitable for medicene and psychology], history and english.
    this keeps your options open for all three degrees.
    then you have another year to narrow down your potential degree subjects, and you could drop one subject, for instance history, if you feel that you don't want to do law anymore.
    hope i'm of help
    xx

ReputationRep:
    It completely depends on how you work etc, but for many people (like me!) doing 4 subjects was an error. I found it was too much work. Ended up with AAAB at AS instead of AAAA and ABBB at A2. I just found i had too much to learn.

As everyone above says if you even thinking about medicine then do Bio and Chem; as you enjoy them anyway that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the choice between English and History, I did both and really enjoyed both. I found English to be much less work but I've always loved literature.

Which do you prefer literature or reading about historical events?

One thing to consider is the courses themselves, which have coursework etc.

But please don't take four subjects unless you really really really want to!

ReputationRep:
    If you're really undecided why not take biology and chemistry so you can apply to medicine if you want to and then psychology and law as your other subjects. It might help you make up your mind about what you really want to do at uni. In all fairness you could use your 4 University choices for medicine and then have your fifth back up subject as psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casparticus)
    It completely depends on how you work etc, but for many people (like me!) doing 4 subjects was an error. I found it was too much work. Ended up with AAAB at AS instead of AAAA and ABBB at A2. I just found i had too much to learn.

As everyone above says if you even thinking about medicine then do Bio and Chem; as you enjoy them anyway that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the choice between English and History, I did both and really enjoyed both. I found English to be much less work but I've always loved literature.

Which do you prefer literature or reading about historical events?

One thing to consider is the courses themselves, which have coursework etc.

But please don't take four subjects unless you really really really want to!
    Most people take 4 subjects at AS. You have to do really badly at GCSE to take only 3. I think your advice should be to take 4 AS levels and then drop one at the end of the year and do 3 A2 levels. This is the norm and getting into medical school with only 3 AS levels and 3 A2 levels would be EXTREMELY difficult. Take at least 4 AS levels. If you feel capable you could take 5, although it can be a lot of work for some people and can result in grades dropping.

ReputationRep:
    Go with what you enjoy most or alternatively what you achieve the best grades in.

For medicine, go for all three sciences with or without maths.
    For psychology, go for at least biology and whatever else you want (english and chemistry will probably be helpful.)
    For Law, go for English, History and any other humanity. A language is always useful.

ReputationRep:
    If you leaning slightly more towards the medicine/psychology route then this combination would be good:

Chemistry, Biology, Maths and then English Lit/History

If your leaning slightly more towards law then:

English Literature, History, Chemistry and Biology

=)

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do Law at Cambridge, they say Maths and History is preferable.
    And obviously for Medicine, Chemistry is essential and Biology is either essential or preferred.
    So you should take History, Maths, Chemistry and Biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin_love)
    Most people take 4 subjects at AS. You have to do really badly at GCSE to take only 3. I think your advice should be to take 4 AS levels and then drop one at the end of the year and do 3 A2 levels. This is the norm and getting into medical school with only 3 AS levels and 3 A2 levels would be EXTREMELY difficult. Take at least 4 AS levels. If you feel capable you could take 5, although it can be a lot of work for some people and can result in grades dropping.

I think you're probably right about doing four ASs then dropping one; but many of my friends got into Oxbridge with 3 ASs. So I don't think it's a big a deal as people make out.

It depends on your school, some schools recommend 3ASs, some recommend 4. It depends on the style of teaching and the precedent the school has built up.

You're right that some people 5 but you need to be seriously focussed and determined. So if that's you then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    I think you're probably right about doing four ASs then dropping one; but many of my friends got into Oxbridge with 3 ASs. So I don't think it's a big a deal as people make out.

It depends on your school, some schools recommend 3ASs, some recommend 4. It depends on the style of teaching and the precedent the school has built up.

You're right that some people 5 but you need to be seriously focussed and determined. So if that's you then go for it!
    I've never heard of any schools recommending only 3 AS levels I think it is safer to take 4, especially when applying to the more competitive subjects like medicine, psychology and law because you need to show the Universities that you are a better candidate than all the other applicants. 5 is a bit risky in all fairness, but for me it worked out better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin_love)
    I've never heard of any schools recommending only 3 AS levels I think it is safer to take 4, especially when applying to the more competitive subjects like medicine, psychology and law because you need to show the Universities that you are a better candidate than all the other applicants. 5 is a bit risky in all fairness, but for me it worked out better!
    Well you're clearly a seriously hard worker and clever enough to manage it

You're right tho, four is the most sensible.

My school did advise some people to do three but generally when they intended to do three difficult subjects. A friend who studied French, Russian and German and wanted to read Russian and French at Oxbridge was advised to stick to three. Less risky.

ReputationRep:
    Well you're clearly a seriously hard worker and clever enough to manage it

You're right tho, four is the most sensible.

My school did advise some people to do three but generally when they intended to do three difficult subjects. A friend who studied French, Russian and German and wanted to read Russian and French at Oxbridge was advised to stick to three. Less risky.
    Oh my god I could NEVER study 3 languages... that is seriously hard work! I actually admire (and am extremely jealous of) people who can do stuff like that.

It didn't work out better for me because I'm hard working and clever, it worked out better for me because I was really ill in my English Lit exam (throwing up, passing out etc), which caused me to only get a C overall and my teacher actually taught the whole class the wrong syllabus in History of Art so despite getting an A on one paper, I joined the rest of my class in gaining a U in the other, which also equalled out at a C. Luckily, because I took 5 subjects, it meant that I still had the grades AAB to carry on with for A2 without too much worry!

I wouldn't worry too much about AS level choices though because you can always change them when you start college/sixth form in September!

ReputationRep:
    I know, three languages would be amazing but way too intense! I did two to A-level and found that hard enough!!

Sounds like you had a pretty rough time, still AAB is still really good so it worked out fine in the end

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.