Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I´m getting transfered to UWE in September to finish my business degree there. I´m already looking at all the possible options for accommodation and I´m pretty sure I would like to stay off-site as the bus-service to go to campus is quite good (from what I´ve read!), plus also I will be working part-time, so definitely city-centre is the most convenient thing for me.

The cheapest option I´ve found is this:
    http://uwe.ac.uk/accommodation/unive...d_houses.shtml

It just says it´s off-site and "These houses are located in residential areas of Bristol" but it doesn´t specify how far it is from campus, neither says anything about the bus service, only says "UWE loop", whatever that means .

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Having a second look now, I think this is more appropiate:

http://uwe.ac.uk/accommodation/nelson.shtml
    http://uwe.ac.uk/accommodation/drake.shtml

They both are in the city centre and with U-link bus pass included, my only concern is the availability ; 180 and 90 students respectively, so not sure if I will be able to get a place.

What about private accommodation? are they anywhere near to the bus stop to take me to campus and so on?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about the private houses, would help if they gave a name of the area they were in, but yeah Nelson & Drake house are in the city centre, which is around 20-30 minutes away from the main campus, depending on traffic, and there's also the marketgate house which is a little closer than nelson & drake, and also holds more people (around 500 I think) so availability wouldn't be so much of a worry. The U-Link bus service is pretty reliable, so I would say around 20 minutes, but if you were to take public transport it would take around 30 minutes, as it's not as reliable and stops a hell of alot more.

If you do go with market gate house, which is located on bond street, i'm fairly certain the U-link bus stop is right outside of the accomodation, or at least pretty close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJoeyUK)
    I'm not sure about the private houses, would help if they gave a name of the area they were in, but yeah Nelson & Drake house are in the city centre, which is around 20-30 minutes away from the main campus, depending on traffic, and there's also the marketgate house which is a little closer than nelson & drake, and also holds more people (around 500 I think) so availability wouldn't be so much of a worry. The U-Link bus service is pretty reliable, so I would say around 20 minutes, but if you were to take public transport it would take around 30 minutes, as it's not as reliable and stops a hell of alot more.

If you do go with market gate house, which is located on bond street, i'm fairly certain the U-link bus stop is right outside of the accomodation, or at least pretty close.
    Thanks for the information!

It seems like nelson & drake aswell as market gate house are the right places for me! though I find the last one slightly over-priced.

Only one more question though, do you know how often the buses run? like every 15 minutes or something like that?

Well, anyway, I´d better give them a ring tomorrow to apply for a place!

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Favell House, which is another one allocated by the university but run by Unite. I think its a bit bigger than Nelson and Drake but smaller than Marketgate.

It isn't the Ritz, but personally I think the location is the best of all the city centre halls that UWE allocate and I thought that made up for it being not as nice in terms of the actual building as the Student Village (i've never been to the other halls to compare those). Its set back a little from the main roads and shopping area (still only a very short walk - 2 minutes or so to the bus stop), and you're right next to some nice pubs and the river.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dission)
    I´m getting transfered to UWE in September to finish my business degree there. I´m already looking at all the possible options for accommodation and I´m pretty sure I would like to stay off-site as the bus-service to go to campus is quite good (from what I´ve read!), plus also I will be working part-time, so definitely city-centre is the most convenient thing for me.

The cheapest option I´ve found is this:
    http://uwe.ac.uk/accommodation/unive...d_houses.shtml

It just says it´s off-site and "These houses are located in residential areas of Bristol" but it doesn´t specify how far it is from campus, neither says anything about the bus service, only says "UWE loop", whatever that means .

Thanks
    What year are you going into? Final? Just Business? Youll be doing a couple modules the same as me next year if it is final (Im a final year Marketing student doing the last year over 2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    What year are you going into? Final? Just Business? Youll be doing a couple modules the same as me next year if it is final (Im a final year Marketing student doing the last year over 2)
    Hopefully I´ll be doing modules of year 3! but most likely I´ll end up doing modules of year 2 and 3! so anyway I may see you in some lectures :p:

How´s the campus by the way? and where have been staying these years? any advice on the accommodation issue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dission)
    Hopefully I´ll be doing modules of year 3! but most likely I´ll end up doing modules of year 2 and 3! so anyway I may see you in some lectures :p:

How´s the campus by the way? and where have been staying these years? any advice on the accommodation issue?
    The campus had a load of work last year and so there are more study rooms, and of course theres a student union, bank, mini-mart, sports centre, 'cinema', several cafes all on site. I have been living at home in a town nearby so no advice on accommodation - esp. if its not on campus.

If you havent done the same modules in year 2 youd have to do that year again - being the same level year your student finance would be affected too.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.