Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hey all,

Right last semester I changed a module which had one essay and a 2hr SEEN exam to another module which has a 2500 word essay and an individual presentation!

After starting the new semester this week and having had another look at the module guides and assessments, im now thinking of changing BACK to the original module. Thing is im not confident on individual presentations NOR am I in exams - BUT the exam is SEEN so perhaps it may be better than I thought??? . . .:dontknow: I really don't know what to do or who to turn to . . . :/

Just wondering if anyone on tsr might have some mature useful advice on what the heck I should do . . .:woo:

Anyone? . . .:/

ReputationRep:
    Forget the assessment for a minute, which module interests you more or is more 'useful' for what you want to do? Is the assessment the only thing that can help you decide between these two courses?

(Original post by TheOneWho)
    Forget the assessment for a minute, which module interests you more or is more 'useful' for what you want to do? Is the assessment the only thing that can help you decide between these two courses?
    I enjoy Criminology a lot more than I do Sociology (which is the module I changed to). One module is about Environmental Crime, the other is Politics and Globalisation . . .:/ I eventually want to go into Crown Prosecution Service, work in the Courts . . . that is where my interests lie . . .
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's pretty simple: choose the unit you've the most interest in. There is little point in choosing a unit if you've no interest in it yet feel the exam will be easier due to the technique used, since in fact it'll probably be harder if you can't sustain your learning of the unit.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know the details of those courses, but if you enjoy crim more, then it might be better to do it. If you enjoy a course it won't be a chore to revise or do reading for. People tend to do better in the courses they have an interest in. A seen exam is hardly a bad assessment, but if you do better in things like essays or presentations then it might be worth thinking about it. It's all a balancing act.

(Original post by .ACS.)
    It's pretty simple: choose the unit you've the most interest in. There is little point in choosing a unit if you've no interest in it yet feel the exam will be easier due to the technique used, since in fact it'll probably be harder if you can't sustain your learning of the unit.
    Criminology module (originaly module) = 1 essay (50%) 1 exam (50%)
    Sociology module (changed to this module)= 1 essay (70%) 1 individual presentation (30%)

Its the 2nd assessment of BOTH of these im not brilliant at. HOWEVER the SEEN exam im thinking might be better as it gives me chance to research, revise hardcore and plan my answer before I go into the exam . . . . :dontknow: Whn I saw EXAM I immediately freaked and searched for a new module, which I changed. HOWEVER I saw the module guide for the changed module and saw individual presentation which im not a fan of or good at.

I don't know the details of those courses, but if you enjoy crim more, then it might be better to do it. If you enjoy a course it won't be a chore to revise or do reading for. People tend to do better in the courses they have an interest in. A seen exam is hardly a bad assessment, but if you do better in things like essays or presentations then it might be worth thinking about it. It's all a balancing act.
    See I didn't know it was a seen exam until last week which made me think CRAP! I saw exam on the module brief and thought ''nope i cnt do it!'' and immediately searched for another module which I did but found out few days ago the changed module has an individual presentation, which again I hate with a passion!

Friends on my course are suggesting I go to both lectures and then see which one I enjoy and then make up my mind from there . . . they have already changed it once, fingers crossed I can change it again IF I decide to go back to the original module! . . . .

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, seen exams are gifts. It is very much like planning an essay beforehand and getting your arguments solid.

Yeah, sit it on both lectures if you can and then decide. Sometimes even the best module can be ruined by a rubbish lecturer, for example.

To be honest, seen exams are gifts. It is very much like planning an essay beforehand and getting your arguments solid.

Yeah, sit it on both lectures if you can and then decide. Sometimes even the best module can be ruined by a rubbish lecturer, for example.
    Yea . .tht is what quite a few people were saying - it is in fact less pressure and abit easier . . .grrr. Why o why do I not think about things before jumping into hot water?? . . . :/

ReputationRep:
    Go for the seen exam.

Ok went to the lecture (seen exam one) and its not as bad as I thought. The lecturer informed us all that she will dish out the paper mid march which gives us ample time to research, prepare for the exam. And because its seen she is expecting good marks (which is fair enough).

I am still going to go to the lecture tomorrow (module I changed to), just to see . . . although I was informed this morning by my friend that she did politics last year and it was her worst grade - so for that reason she has stayed away from it this year. However I am still going to go . . find out for myself and then make a decision tomorrow.

But as it stands im now more towards the seen exam module . .

OMG - sat through the 'changed' module today and im sooo going back to the original one! Politics infact left me with a headache allday and I just found it incredibly boring!

So I have now made up my mind - return to the original module - its got an exam but if i keep to target I should have ample time to revise and study for the seen exam.

Thanks for your help all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.