Is a high IQ (intelligence) the key to happiness? Watch

This discussion is closed.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by JSM)
lol-thats probably true with everyone, although i feel i can express my true self (its more ppl want to come online to create their own character, no matter what they are like in the real world)
Hmmm good point.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The higher the IQ the more likely you are get depressed because you think about things more. Not many brick layers appear to get depressed ( I know some will) (sorry to sound a tad snobby there too) but I think you know what I am getting at.

I''ve really ever been depressed once and that was in 1997-98, I still get down a lot but that is not really depression.

As for me am I happy? Well yes I think I am most the time apart from being an avid stress pot.

I have no idea what my true IQ is though. I would guess not all that high but hopefully it is above 100.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Can I say something here. I know that a friend of mine who works in Mensa said to me that he has seen a broad cross spectrum of people who are in Mensa and he told me that IQ does not correspond to happiness. EQ does.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Can I say something here. I know that a friend of mine who works in Mensa said to me that he has seen a broad cross spectrum of people who are in Mensa and he told me that IQ does not correspond to happiness. EQ does.
I have a low EQ, apparently.
vavavoom
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Ooo yea! EQ - forgot about that. Do you think the research merged EQ and IQ (although EQ is new concept)?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
Ooo yea! EQ - forgot about that. Do you think the research merged EQ and IQ (although EQ is new concept)?
No. EQ is totally different. A high IQ does not mean a high EQ. In fact it may even lower EQ.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
No. EQ is totally different. A high IQ does not mean a high EQ. In fact it may even lower EQ.
What is EQ? Emotional intellegence?
akk713
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Absolutely disagree with the suggestion that high IQ can lead to happiness, in actual fact there are many common cases of people having high IQ will be a lot easier to have depression... I agree someone brought up the point because they would think more. Also they will probably realize that they are intelligent so they expect a lot for themselves and if they can't achieve something they'll blame it on something else.

Don't you realize people with low learning ability, intelligence are often happier than the clever ones. They won't think as much, they don't expect much, and so they feel content with what they already have.

Well this is just my opinion that I get from experience
GH
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
What is EQ? Emotional intellegence?
yes
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In Taiwan the top 3 academically in their age group (for my year) in the country all ended up killing/harming themselves after getting depressed/ reading sum deep philosophies...
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hmm, really hope a high IQ isn't the key to happiness otherwise most people are screwed. Anyway it sounded like these people were all successful. Success and happiness aren't even remotely the same thing.
caz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vavavoom)
Hmmm but what about the claim : ppl with high IQs are more likely to be happy than those who have low IQs?
Or people with high IQs are more likely to pretend they are happier than those with low IQs
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To put this into plain english from a techie.

To get depressed you need to think.
Thick people can't think
If you can't think you can't get depressed.

I know thats a huge generalisation but I think there is a lot of truth in that.
JSM
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Thick people can't think

sorry i dont understand your laymen's terms
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Thick people can't think

nonsense, having done psychology i know for a fact that depression is most common amongst the poor, which are (a contentious assumption) usually below average intelligence.
ahyolmu
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Thick people can't think

but i think people do can think uptil where they can get depreseed, and if they cant even think till that level they are complete DUMB may be non-human
caz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by edders)
nonsense, having done psychology i know for a fact that depression is most common amongst the poor, which are (a contentious assumption) usually below average intelligence.
Yes, perhaps not as a "factual" as everyone else, but still intelligent, and still thinkers. Those who think less often succeed more, actually, with what makes them happy.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But all the so called poor people with so called low IQ I know all seem to be happy. They just seem to bounce along.

The poor probably have very low pride and low motivation but can that directly be linked to depression?

In my experience it is the people with higher IQ that are more likely to get effected. You can be poor and have a high IQ too. However if you're poor social issues will probably effect you ever becoming a sucess.

I am lucky enough to come from a high working class/lower middle class background so I have had a lot of good oppurtunities. However I don't get cars bought for me etc.

Everybody is different anyway. I suppose people from lower social classes are more likely to get involved in drink etc and become down and outs. But then I know people with perfectly good jobs etc who became drunks.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mr White)
I have a low EQ, apparently.
Where is there a good EQ test?

I think I might have tried one once, but it was one of these ones with awkward questions where you have to answer questions about your personality and try and think critically about yourself... where you know which would be the "best" answer to tick but you have to be honest.

Is it measured on a similar scale to IQ, where 100 is for "average" (average American anyway, interesting how average IQ for European countries is higher)?
fussy
Report 14 years ago
Well, it's common knowledge that genius and mental illness are often go together. Poetic genius is the worst - about nine in ten famous poets had long depressive periods. I think high IQ can lead to over-thinking things and this can be especially difficult if one thinks in the open-ended and often nebulous way that a poet would. Far better to concentrate the mind on tasks that have a better defined path and goal, such as learning a language. Recognise negative/selfish thinking and eliminate it, however entertaining, different or potentially profound it might (turn out to) be. The more originally you (might think you) think, the less you will imagine sympathy from those around you and the more you might be dissatisfied with others and yourself. Appreciate simplicity in life and discard complexity unless it shows real promise and definite rewards.

Apropos thinking styles, people who study things like European non-analytic philosophy eg. existentialism/social psychology are buggered, as the issues usually involve thinking very critically about the significance of your own actions and thoughts, which has an impact on your own sense of identity and self-control. Psychology is the real killer as you get a real sense of the weak grip you can have on yourself. Also, almost half the philos grad students I've met have been through therapy once - I think their subject is both symptom and cause, and shows the futility of much deep thought, unguided by feeling or unfenced by the more definite systems of the hard sciences.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.59%
No (554)
60.95%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed