Turn on thread page Beta

Is a high IQ (intelligence) the key to happiness? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    really? you've written 3 novels? i start them and then.....get to about the middle, and stop. but ive written about 20 beginnings.

my IQ is a 143 (as tested when i was 8)

lol...i do that too! start and give up, start and give up! LAZY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    130? Is that all? Actually, that's still very high. My IQ is 159, but there is someone in my sixth form who has an IQ of 174 (top 0.00001% of the population). She's possibly the most anti-social person I've ever met, though.
    159? the genius line is 140.....ive heard that at about the point of 155 people start to have disabilities like the ability to converse with a "normal" person. 159! my god. my brother is a 147 and he's one of the smartest person ive met.....(except for his best friend steven who has like a 156 and was taking multi variable calculas when he was 10, and is now attending MIT)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    IQ isn't the be all and end all and many people with high IQs find it difficult to relate to other people. It can be a help or a hinderance, depends how you use it.

Again, just because someone earns a lot doesn't make them happy if they have few people to share it with. But if people with high IQs desire money to make them happy (thought I read somewhere that £1 million could buy you happiness, but can't remember if that was the correct figure or not), then so be it. Personally, being a millionaire ain't really high on my priority list.

I'd agree that they have a higher probability of major success in their life but they need to accompany the high IQ with more (so they're not just a social outcast). But does success in certain fields always equate to happiness? Suppose it depends what kind of high IQ person you are.

Interesting study though and I don't think I can compete completely with some statewide study in the US, but I think people with high IQs stand to lose more as well if they push themselves so hard that they forget everything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    lol...i do that too! start and give up, start and give up! LAZY
    the answer is no a high IQ is not a good measure of well being even in a civilized society because it is not measuring the well being of an individual... clever people { or child ) is not a happy person

ReputationRep:
    the genius line is 140.....
    I can assure you that it's not. If you had said 170 you would be closer to the truth, although it does depend on what scale you are working.

ReputationRep:
    159? the genius line is 140
    all i know is that the average population falls within the 85-125 scoring range. I would have assumed that anyone above that was gifted - 159 sounds like a hugely high number to be a genius tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    all i know is that the average population falls within the 85-125 scoring range. I would have assumed that anyone above that was gifted - 159 sounds like a hugely high number to be a genius tho!
    i got 165 on the internet. i thought this was suspect until they tried to sell me my score on a framed certificate. aha. so im prbly more like a 130. and im moderately happy for wotever its worth!

ReputationRep:
    On the Cattell scale the top 2% of the population fall into the 148+ range, this is the score you must achieve to be eligible for mensa membership. Genius is a title not so easily awarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    On the Cattell scale the top 2% of the population fall into the 148+ range, this is the score you must achieve to be eligible for mensa membership. Genius is a title not so easily awarded.
    I have taken a supervised MENSA test (a few people in my school did - the headmistress wanted to encourage 'gifted' children, or somesuch). Anyway, according to official MENSA statistics, the average IQ is 96 for men, and 100 for women. Top 1% is 145+. Genius level is disputible, but is accepted to be between 160 and 170. Less than 10 people have ever been recorded with an IQ over 200. The highest recorded IQ belongs to Marilyn Vos Savant (228), and the second highest is Robert Koffler Jarvik, the inventor of the artificial heart, who's IQ stands at 216.

To put that in perspective with some commonly thought-of 'great-minds', Einstein's IQ was around 160, and Stephen Hawking's (assuming that his brain hasn't been frazzled by recent abuse) is 196. Mozart's IQ is estimated (by MENSA) to be at around 180, and Newton's roughly 190.

ReputationRep:

To put that in perspective with some commonly thought-of 'great-minds', Einstein's IQ was around 160, and Stephen Hawking's (assuming that his brain hasn't been frazzled by recent abuse) is 196. Mozart's IQ is estimated (by MENSA) to be at around 180, and Newton's roughly 190.
    The highest IQ holder right now is Marilyn Von Savant who has an IQ of 230. I have a book by her and it's very interesting. Just tells you how to use your brain for efficiently. Kind of makes you wonder why she hasn't made some mind-blowing discovery though - instead she regularly writes a column in the 'Parade' magazine. She also seems to be a perfectly normal, sociable person. She is happily married (according to her) to a professor in Harvard or something that invented the first artificial heart (<---I could be quite off with this info coz I don't have the book infront of me and I read it a few years ago...).

ReputationRep:
    I read a lot of posts here about people they say they have an IQ of 159 and so. Truth is that says absolutely nothing. IQ depends on the test you take and on 2 different tests you can have a different score.

What is more accurate is using the % representation. I don't know the term in english, but I assume it's something like "percentile" (percentiel in Dutch).

When you plot the IQ of 100 people on a chart, you get a bell like curve (gause curve). The farther you go to the right, the higher the iq. At the center (around 100) you have the most ppl, at the outsides of the curve the least. (I assume you know this curve as being gifted with an high iq).

For each test you can make such a curve. Then you'll notice that on one particular test you need an iq of 150 to be smarter than 90% of all other people, and on the other test an iq of 130. When people tell me they have an iq of 150 I say "so what, doesn't mean a thing!". Try to figure out you're percentile, which tells how smart you really are (compared to the rest of us).

As for the statement that intelligent people are more likely to be happy... I absolutely disagree. I saw words/statements like "overthinking", "wanting to much", "over stressing", "always wanting more" and they are absolutely true. At least, that's my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkeppens)
    I read a lot of posts here about people they say they have an IQ of 159 and so. Truth is that says absolutely nothing. IQ depends on the test you take and on 2 different tests you can have a different score.
    That may be true for back-alley internet tests, that just want to convince you to order a certificate by dazzling you with your super-high IQ that you never knew about.

ReputationRep:
    That may be true for back-alley internet tests, that just want to convince you to order a certificate by dazzling you with your super-high IQ that you never knew about.
    I assume that's true too, but when I took the test at Mensa to become a member (not the website test, the real one), this was told by the psychologist that took the test.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.