Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A Levels From Home - Ics Learn? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about doing an AS at home from next year
    what do you think http://www.icslearn.co.uk/gcse-A-level/ i do not know much about this ICS or how it works could someone give me advice whether this is a good thing to do as i may do an AS over two years and take my time on it

more info would be nice and some advice

ReputationRep:
    im doing my alevels late as i got into catering when i left school. Im doing them out of coll & just hookin up with a school for the exams. It is a bonus as u can have a part-time job if u can fit in what u need to. First i ordered 2 modules from ics to get me started. They are helpful but you still need extra material. Its only worth it if you take advantage of the online help stuff. Personally i havnt actually tried it as theres so much on the net already dedicated to the same thing i didnt see the point. My advice, which is the cheaper version, get the current aqa books & download the specification online. Use the net, google, you tube etc. and yourll find everything you need. You do have to be strict with yourself & i think it does help as ive got 3 older siblings whove all been ther to query.
    Anyway i think it would be easier for you to go at it with school so u dont loose track, have support & no ur on the right lines. good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I do mine with the nec, the materials are good as they tend to throw in some extra points which for them required extra reading. However some tutors give good feedback and some are wastes of time. However like the above said you can just find all the materials online and in books this is just a more convienant way with it all laid out. I read reviews prior that ICS was even worse tutor wise but cheaper don't know about materials though.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Livi123. If you can register with a school and use them as your "exam centre", that would be fine. However, I'm not sure what you would do if there was coursework involved, for instance getting it checked by a teacher and submitting it etc.
    As long as you follow the exam boards specification, get any course specific text books and discipline yourself, you should be able to do it.

ReputationRep:
    how about me doing 3 A levels at college and one at home or 2 at college and one at home. well what do you think if i get a tutor at home and do one AS level from home

ReputationRep:
    ICS you can

ReputationRep:
    I attempted to study A level Physics with ICS. The material that they sent me was unclear, poorly written and full of mistakes. I wrote a letter to complain and they gave me a full refund.

I found it much easier to learn the material by purchasing the official exam board textbooks, as they are usually full of exam style questions and fully prepare you for the exams.

I am sitting Maths A level exams this month and have learnt everything I need to know via a textbook aimed for OCR students. I downloaded the course syllabus from the website along with past exam papers and have just worked through it all.

I guess it depends on which A levels you want to study. Maths is pretty straight forward to learn yourself at home as you soon get to grips with through answering question after question.

I would say that I found it very difficult finding an exam centre that would let me sit exams. There is a list on the AQA website which reccommends exam centres to contact but there are very few.

I gave up trying to sit A level Physics because no exam centres would let me sit the practical exams and this accounted for 20% of the overall A level. Exam centres can also be funny with coursework etc. so you would need to sit A levels that don't involve coursework or practical exams ideally.

ReputationRep:
    Also, ICS don't give any help towards finding an exam centre.

ReputationRep:
    owen4567 you really helped me out so basiclly ICS etc just provide you course information so all you need to do is find a exam centre and learn the topics and sit the exam okay
    i was thinking about sociology or politics at home - how many hours would you need to study a week plus is there any company that find you an exam centre

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Im not aware of a company that finds an exam centre for you.

I found my exam centre from this AQA list. Just give them a ring. Private schools are your best chance.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/librar...ND-CENTRES.PDF

Mine just charged the exam fee and a small admin fee. I was told that if no students at the school were sitting an exam at the time of my exams then I would need to pay the costs of the examiner by the hour, about £16 an hour?!!? Fortunately my exams tie in well with the schools other exams, so no extra costs!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have been trying to do an accounting course with ICS and my experience has been terrible. I was unable to log onto their website for a couple of months and was told I was not logging in properly, which I was, There were many mistakes in the text books supplied, my tutor spoke to her superior about this but I have yet to have a response, I then struggled to get my course work onto there website and I was told I wasn't doing it right, then they said it was now fixed so I could add my course work!!!! Then to top it off my tutor disappeared!!! When I spoke to ICS about all the issues they were not interested and had no record of my issues with mistakes in the text book. After a couple of months I called my tutor and she said she had left ICS as they were a nightmare. ICS didn't even know she had left. So to answer your question DO NOT USE ICS FOR COURSES THEY ARE RUBBISH

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently using ICS for GCSEs. Overall my experience is positive. There are a LOT of typos and mistakes in the course which doesn't help and, as mentioned previously, one of my tutors decided to 'retire' with no notice given. But as the tutors are largely useless anyway this wasn't a major issue. Sometimes it takes tutors up to a week to respond to a query by which time you've Googled or found the answer on YouTube. If you like working at your own pace though, this course is a good option.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.