Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well im going to take AS LEVEL in september 2010
    i want to know whether the OCR board is easier than other boards or is this simple just what some people assume thanks

ReputationRep:
    No board is easier than the other!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghast)
    No board is easier than the other!
    QFT.
    A few friends of mine swear that AQA is easy and Cambridge hard though.

(By the way, I love your signature!)

ReputationRep:
    I think OCR is much harder than others for science subjects! I think it is because the information provided by their textbooks are much lower than the others. The books produced by the exam board are really bad! Expecially for advancing physics!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B786)
    i want to know whether the OCR board is easier than other boards or is this simple just what some people assume thanks
    Well if it's the easier exam board it's the board for you, since you can't write accurate sentences.

ReputationRep:
    it all depends on how useful are the resources provided by the boards , i am doing multiple ones .. outta which i gotta say wjec... has some issues first we had to buy past paper material.. then the website barely had any useful info, in the end its your understanding of a certain topic =) which gets you the grade you want.

ReputationRep:
    mixed opinions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B786)

For me, OCR is the hardest/most annoying by a mile& they will be for you if you've ever had a problem finishing exams (especially where essays are involved). E.G OCR psychology, yeah i got an A in it at A-Level, but initially at AS i only got a high C.. I couldn't finish the core 2 paper so i got a D, when it requires the same knowledge as core1 in which I got an A.. I eventually re-sat, realising it was a battle against the clock my essays probably didn't make much sense for the most part, didn't finish again, and got a v low B (70/100). I knew this would happen so i'd also re-sat core 1 and got 98/100 (yes i re-sat an A grade). This FINALLY dragged my AS up to an A- Just lol. NEVER again.

edit: Oh, and OCR critical thinking was just as bad, so i'm not just basing this on one exam. All the fast kids who'd got D's and E's in other subjects came out with A's..

ReputationRep:
    I've taken exams from all the exam boards, and I wouldn't say any of them are easier. They're all the same. They're not allowed to write exams that are any more difficult or any easier than those of other exam boards

ReputationRep:
    well at gcse i did history ocr and i got something like 90% but did bad in the exam got only 40 percent but then re sat to get 90% so ges they exams are hard and annoying

ReputationRep:
    Well back last year OCR and Edexcel got a telling off from the 'top bosses' because they were too 'generous' in their papers/marking. Can't say personally I've noticed much difference.

ReputationRep:
    I am saddened that students these days want to take the easier option rather than challenging themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel have crappy books.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.