Turn on thread page Beta

Why is being selective a bad thing? watch

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough if you wanna be selective.

(Original post by Adonis)
    because I'm not white-washed enough,

Lmao at your arrogance. You say you don't want a non-asian girl, and one who isn't fat. Yet, I'm not completely sure if it's the fact that you're not "white-washed" enough, or just the fact that they don't want YOU.

ReputationRep:
    I do prefer an immaculate grammar, it's true; but the difference is that I'm not (usually) so bigoted about it. Heck, I've dated girls who weren't nearly as fastidious in that department – it didn't make them any less coherent, or considerate, or capable of grasping such esoteric concepts as 'wit'.

Notwithstanding this abundant disdain towards any female who isn't a paragon of pulchritude, I rather suspect the main bone of contention here is that your evident insecurity seems at-odds with the notion of your being sufficiently confident, emotionally-secure and generally awesome (or else possessed of a self-esteem consistent with the type of person who, albeit far from 'perfect' themselves, doesn't mind staying single indefinitely) to reasonably expect 'perfection' in a prospective partner: it implies not only that you may well be pricing yourself out of the market, but also that you wouldn't even realise it if you were, choosing instead to parade about TSR like the proverbial Naked Emperor.

Not that I dislike you personally, but you have to wonder: why should this fabled 'ideal' specimen choose you over, say, assorted male celebrities? Think on't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I do prefer an immaculate grammar, it's true; but the difference is that I'm not (usually) so bigoted about it. Heck, I've dated girls who weren't nearly as fastidious in that department – it didn't make them any less coherent, or considerate, or capable of grasping such esoteric concepts as 'wit'.

Notwithstanding this abundant disdain towards any female who isn't a paragon of pulchritude, I rather suspect the main bone of contention here is that your evident insecurity seems at-odds with the notion of your being sufficiently confident, emotionally-secure and generally awesome (or else possessed of a self-esteem consistent with the type of person who, albeit far from 'perfect' themselves, doesn't mind staying single indefinitely) to reasonably expect 'perfection' in a prospective partner: it implies not only that you may well be pricing yourself out of the market, but also that you wouldn't even realise it if you were, choosing instead to parade about TSR like the proverbial Naked Emperor.

Not that I dislike you personally, but you have to wonder: why should this fabled 'ideal' specimen choose you over, say, assorted male celebrities? Think on't.
    Out of interest...

When you're dating, or even just friends with someone for that matter, do you feel the need/ obliged to correct their grammatical errors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Out of interest...

When you're dating, or even just friends with someone for that matter, do you feel the need/ obliged to correct their grammatical errors?
    I'm more likely to admonish a friend or partner, since they'd hopefully know me well enough not to misconstrue the sentiment. I doubt I'd correct the grammar of a stranger, however, or anyone I was tentatively dating (unless I felt the need to prick some kind of budding conceit); I'm not so lacking in decorum.

ReputationRep:
    I'm more likely to admonish a friend or partner, since they'd hopefully know me well enough not to misconstrue the sentiment. I doubt I'd correct the grammar of a stranger, however, or anyone I was tentatively dating (unless I felt the need to prick some kind of budding conceit); I'm not so lacking in decorum.

wut is decorum???

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say you're that selective, but just to reiterate Profesh's point, you do need to realise that you are going to find it MUCH more difficult to meet women if you're indefinitely going to be selective.

I used to have a strong preference for tall men with masculine features and convinced myself I wouldn't find them attractive otherwise... but since I've been more flexible with 'selectivity' I've been meeting far more people who, without a doubt, have the personality to make up for whatever physical features I prefer to see.

So trust me dude, you may feel like being selective will get you the girls you are genuinely attracted to in the long run, but you need to be able to broaden your horizons a bit.

ReputationRep:

LOL as you make me smile

& my idea of 'perfection' really isn't that specific

as I said... a slim asian/arab girl, with a modicum of intelligence.

and I am aware I am flawed myself, and never [seriously] say I'm a-mazing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.