Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya guys,

First of all, if you intend to comment saying everyone who did this A-Level hated it and that you haven't done it, I don't care. I want opinions from people who actually did it, not some dodgy feedbacks.

So basically, I was thinking, during my year abroad, of doing an A-Level in English Language to kind of not lose the habit of having exams, but also because I'm interested in Linguistics, and thinking of studying it formally, later on. However, as any book I have on the subject just makes it sound amazing, I'd like to have a real experience of it and that's why I think this A-Level would be great.

Now what I want to know is what it exactly consist of (if I could have opinions on different exam boards as well, that'd be lovely), if you think that being foreign and self-studying could be harmful and if in general you have any tips about it. Don't hesitate to ramble, whether you're happy and in love with this A-Level or you abhor it, I want to know everything!

Oh and this can act as a motivational reason for big posts, +rep for the most useful ones

ReputationRep:
    As if no-one on TSR did English Language, come on guys!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing English Language AS at the moment. Despite not having the best teacher, I'm starting to find it really interesting. Initially, it was quite tedious, involving learning linguistic vocabulary and grammar. I had to analyse two texts and adapt one for the coursework, which was time-consuming but not too difficult. Now for the exam, we've started learning about theories of language (eg. face theory, Grice's Maxims), which is far more interesting. It's quite simplistic though, I wish we learnt some more detail. I'm afraid I don't know what exam board I'm doing and I hope this was of some help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thethinker)
    I'm doing English Language AS at the moment. Despite not having the best teacher, I'm starting to find it really interesting. Initially, it was quite tedious, involving learning linguistic vocabulary and grammar. I had to analyse two texts and adapt one for the coursework, which was time-consuming but not too difficult. Now for the exam, we've started learning about theories of language (eg. face theory, Grice's Maxims), which is far more interesting. It's quite simplistic though, I wish we learnt some more detail. I'm afraid I don't know what exam board I'm doing and I hope this was of some help.
    That really was as it does sound like something I'd like to do, haha! Rep when available

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    That really was as it does sound like something I'd like to do, haha! Rep when available
    Thank you! :top2:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else, by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as the English Language-ers seem to be a little scarce, I'll have a go. Although I didn't approach the subject in the traditional sense, hopefully this will be of some use...

I took English Lit for A level as English Language wasn't offered in our school at the time. While I was doing my A2s, though, I sat in on quite a lot of English Language AS level classes for the year below (who they decided to offer it to!!) and so I have some experience of 'self-study' English Language.

For me, the reason that it was such a good self-study subject was that our exam board (AQA) uses a lot of materials that are in the public domain - there was heavy use of newspaper articles, for example, and I remember looking at a lot of scripts from every day scenes (buying items in supermarkets, for example) to study the patterns of acceptable conversation. This meant that I could do a lot of research and preparation in my own time and that study materials were readily available to me. I do remember there being a lot of specific technical terms to learn, but I feel that these have really ameliorated my abilities when it comes to looking at any texts (both in English Lit and French - which I also took for A level). For this reason, I think it's a subject that can definitely work across the 'language barrier' as so many of the technical terms refer to linguistic techniques that are applied in many languages - not only in terms of sentence types, tenses, etc, but also regarding the controlled use of punctuation and the use of techniques such as dyesis (is that how it's spelt? ). There was also an opportunity to look at how our use of language has changed over time (we particularly looked at this is reference to attitudes to women) and so I think your interested in Linguistics would be a definite asset!

Hope this helps... sorry I can't provide more specific information, but it was a little while ago.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.