Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A few questions:

-How much of your PS have you talked about your academic background?
    -How much of your PS have you used to talk about you intrests/hobbies? Is this important to include?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I only used a paragraph to talk about the first. And a couple of sentences for the 2nd but I reckon it is important to include them none the less.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks, that's what I've done. 47 lines is so short lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestie)
    A few questions:

-How much of your PS have you talked about your academic background?
    -How much of your PS have you used to talk about you intrests/hobbies? Is this important to include?

Thanks
    Can't say I really talked about my academic background at all. I talked about how I love History and why I want to teach it, but didn't really say any more than that - I went on to talk about how pupils often think it's dead and boring, and how I'd try to bring it to life.

I wrote about my main hobby (dancing) for a whole paragraph, but that was mostly because I also have experience teaching dancing. I did talk about how performing in general has helped give me confidence, but then most of it was about teaching.

My paragraphs were basically:
    1. Why I want to teach
    2. Why I would be a good teacher
    3. Work experience in school - the careers adviser I discussed my PS with suggested that I should write about a particularly good lesson and why it worked, which I did in this section.
    4. Dancing and dance teaching.
    5. History
    No concluding paragraph - the careers adviser said it was a waste of precious lines!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    For a vocational course like teaching, experience is the most important thing.

Altho as a PS helper, we always advise to have a conclusion...

ReputationRep:
    You need a conclusion in some way, you can't just end it without rounding it off in some fashion otherwise it looks stupid and as though you couldn't be bothered to work out a way to finalise it.

In PS help we get people who have a good PS then their final sentence is "I also play cricket." or something... that just looks like you've not bothered to finish it properly! I rounded mine off by talking about me as a person/qualities and then relating that back how I can reflect my personality into teaching etc. Its hard to explain, but I thought my ending was pretty good... but then I've seen a lot of bad ones so I guess I have an advantage in that respect.

I just related everything I've done to teaching in terms of my own personal development and then also how I can carry this into education. I also had a paragraph about specific educational policy changes I'm interested in at the moment.

(Just to add: PS helpers have to leave the PS help usergroup whilst they're doing a PGCE application and then are allowed back in once its sent to GTTR. So Bestie, if you're doing your GTTR at the moment you need to inform us in the Ask an Assistant forum, thanks.)

(Original post by Bestie)
    x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    You need a conclusion in some way, you can't just end it without rounding it off in some fashion otherwise it looks stupid and as though you couldn't be bothered to work out a way to finalise it.

In PS help we get people who have a good PS then their final sentence is "I also play cricket." or something... that just looks like you've not bothered to finish it properly! I rounded mine off by talking about me as a person/qualities and then relating that back how I can reflect my personality into teaching etc. Its hard to explain, but I thought my ending was pretty good... but then I've seen a lot of bad ones so I guess I have an advantage in that respect.

I just related everything I've done to teaching in terms of my own personal development and then also how I can carry this into education. I also had a paragraph about specific educational policy changes I'm interested in at the moment.

(Just to add: PS helpers have to leave the PS help usergroup whilst they're doing a PGCE application and then are allowed back in once its sent to GTTR. So Bestie, if you're doing your GTTR at the moment you need to inform us in the Ask an Assistant forum, thanks.)
    I have already PMed someone about it but will post in the forum as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestie)
    I have already PMed someone about it but will post in the forum as well.
    If you've PMed F1 Fanatic then that is also fine

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.