Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People with no Plan B are more likely to be.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Successful

OR

Unsuccessful?

Most people have a plan concerning their career goals (at least a 'dream' career if not a plan) but some gradually begin to think that they can't achieve it, so they switch to Plan B - which then becomes the new plan A. Then, once again they gradually begin to think they can't reach their new plan A and so they switch to a new Plan B and so on until they end up looking back on their lives wondering why they didn't just go for their original goal and try to succeed in what they had a passion for.

It makes me think that people with Plan B's are pessimistic and have little self belief. I've always had a plan B myself (oh the irony) - incase things go wrong, but as I'm getting older I'm considering dropping any Plan B's and just aiming for something which may well fail or which may be a huge achievement. I always think I have all the time in the world to achieve my dreams but the reality is that in a couple of years I'll be leaving university and either be working towards the job I've always wanted or looking back and wondering why I hadn't tried harder.

So my question/s to you is/are:

Do you think it's wise to have a Plan B concerning your career? Do you believe that those without a Plan B, those with tunnel vision and determination for one goal, are more likely to succeed than those with a primary goal and a fallback option? Or do you believe that those who don't prepare for possible failure are naive and likely to end up settling for a lot less than they desired?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should have a plan B. But a bare minimum plan B e.g say in theory you want to be CEO of a company, dont make your plan B to become chief finance officer because that would be too easy to just slowly go down the ladder of plan B's as you mentioned. You would make plan B an office worker so it means you really work hard to becoming a CEO as your plan B isn't that great but it's enough to get by if worst comes to worst.

I'm sure their are plenty flaws in that but it's an idea none the less.

ReputationRep:
    I know this isn't directly concerning careers - sorry.

I didn't have a Plan B per se when I applied to university. In my eyes, I'd applied to St Andrews and four others - it was St Andrews or nothing. I worked my socks off as I knew that I wouldn't accept anything less - and now I'm here.

In this instance it paid off, but in other situations it may not.

For example, my little brother really wants to become a football player. Yet only 1% of aspiring footballers make it. I'm trying to drill this into his head; if he doesn't make it, then he needs a back up plan. But he won't hear it. Then again, he is only 12, but I don't want him thinking that he doesn't have to work hard because he's going to be a footballer anyway.

When it comes to careers, I would think that having a Plan B would be wise, especially as this is concerning your own survival and sustenance - you need a job. However, if you really have your heart set on a particular career, then having a Plan B will not stop you. Plan B can be useful UNTIL you reach your goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Do you think it's wise to have a Plan B concerning your career?
    Depends on how narrow or wide your goals are. Goals that are too narrow are dead ends and you set yourself up for failure. On the other hand if your goal was just to go to University then your definition of success wouldn’t motivate you for very long or offer you much direction.
    Do you believe that those without a Plan B, those with tunnel vision and determination for one goal, are more likely to succeed than those with a primary goal and a fallback option?
    Depends on the person, if you are motivated to do something at all costs then you wouldn’t have a backup plan.
    Or do you believe that those who don't prepare for possible failure are naive and likely to end up settling for a lot less than they desired?
    For most students, if they are really motivated, a backup plan is a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever had a Plan B. I work on the belief that I will get whatever I want.

I don't see either way as being better than the other, though. As a Plan A person, I've always achieved what I've wanted. I don't strive for a lot of things - I let my priorities change all the time and live in the now - but I know that if I want something at any point it's up to me to work for it, and I do.

My little sister, on the other hand, is a Plan B person. Maybe she needs to be, though? I've never had a 'wild' dream - something I stand very little/no chance of fulfilling - but it's her dream to become a singer. She has a website that I keep, and is attempting to get herself publicised on the internet, whilst being a few rounds through the BGT auditions at the moment, but knows that her singing is unlikely to result in a career, and has a plan otherwise to go into hair and beauty.
    She's my total opposite in every way, and this extends to her planning; where I'm happy to live for the exact second I'm in, with no concern to the past or future, she knows exactly how she wants her future to be and spends a lot of time on it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even have a plan A, let alone a Plan B. What does that make me?

ReputationRep:
    Lol my Plan B is teaching. Hey, we always need History teachers right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Lol my Plan B is teaching.

May God have mercy on those poor kiddies souls.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a plan B and I've always succeeded in getting my plan A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashy)
    I've never had a plan B and I've always succeeded in getting my plan A.
    This. Unfortunately getting what I want only seems to be career wise, what I want socially and personally isn't so easy.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends what kind of Plan B you have.

I don't really have one... I want to be in computer science research and that's that. Then again, my goal is pretty vague, so I suppose I don't need one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    May God have mercy on those poor kiddies souls.

Are you ever funny?

ReputationRep:
    I have a plan B and plan C and D but they are more like branches of plan A , so if something somewhere go wrong (particularly at the weak spots, every plan has no matter how vague it is) I can fix it and find alternative but I believe that whichever path I take it will eventually lead to the same place so .. it's crap I can't explain it properly , actually it is probably the sense itself which is too obscure ... never mind - > Wonderful thread , OP!

ReputationRep:
    depends my plan b is to be a low level economist, so an officer worker or anallyst probably for treasury however my plan a is to get my undergrad and a masters and try to get work in one of the big development economics organisations and hopefully doing a part time phd.

ReputationRep:
    ...more determined to realise their plan a?

ReputationRep:
    Plan A - Writer
    Plan B - Teacher
    Plan C - Lawyer
    Plan D - Editor
    Plan E - Journalist.

I'm still coming up with a Plan F

ReputationRep:
    I usually have a plan B, but so far plan A has always worked out. Although I suppose my plan B has always been about how to improve my chances of plan A working. E.g. If I didn't get into the university I wanted to, I planned to do another year of A-levels. Academia/career-wise, things have just worked out for me. Shame I can't say the same about my love life.

ReputationRep:
    Just a question to those of you who actually have a Plan A in the first place - how did you manage to come up with it? How do you know that's what you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
    Plan A - Writer
    Plan B - Teacher
    Plan C - Lawyer
    Plan D - Editor
    Plan E - Journalist.

I'm still coming up with a Plan F
    Oooh you have very similar interests to me. Except my plan A is your plan E and I already tried your plan C and didn't dig it. I'm extremely tempted by your plan A though. How are you preparing for it? I've absolutely no idea how to even get on the ladder in writing. I guess writing is a sort of fantasy job I have but journalism is a practical and achievable one because I know the route I need to take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Just a question to those of you who actually have a Plan A in the first place - how did you manage to come up with it? How do you know that's what you want to do?
    For me, everything I do is based on feeling. If I want to do something, and think it'll make me happy, I'll do it. Otherwise, I won't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.