The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Of course you're an ethnic minority - you're white.
Reply 21
Riderz
Wery pweety, but not mixed race.

Yes she is! Doesn't matter if you can tell from her looks or not if she has more than one racial background in her recent family tree.

And OP i see what you mean by it not being obvious form your looks
It says you have to be from black or asian background

How is this legal? :s-smilie:
Reply 23
Is there a whites-only version you can join? :ninja:
You're as mixed race as Amanda Mealing or Ryan Giggs.
I'm so glad I have the self-respect to never sign up to something like this. It must feel pretty ****** that you have to have a step-up to compete against your peers, that you're not good enough to do it on a level playing field. I would hate to know I was chosen for something based, not on my abilities, but on something as insignificant as my race, gender or sexual orientation.
They can't reject you because of what you * look * like, that's crazy! You're mixed race so go for it
No one guesses my ethnicity from looking at me either.
I always tick the other box and write it out.
Sabertooth
that you're not good enough to do it on a level playing field.

The reason why racial or gender schemes like this exist is because the "playing field" is not "level".
under any other guise, their intake policy would be seen as racist.
Reply 30
Surely people can well.. just... lie?

I could just say I'm mixed Eskimo and Kalahari Bushman.

What are they going to do? Ask me to prove it? Look at me and say, err... you're the wrong colour? How are they ACTUALLY going to ascertain your ethnic background?

As far as I'm aware just because you may not be 'White British' you don't have an advantage.

E.g. Chinese folks are OVERrepresented in say, Investment Banking positions RELATIVE to their proportion in the UK population. Hence if you're Chinese there is little point in going through SEO since certain ethnicities who are UNDERrepresented in City jobs (relative to their proportion in the UK population) would be prioritized (I'd say possibly Romanians and Somalis). If you're Indian/Chinese/Nigerian then it's unlikely you would be prioritized.
If you tell them your family background you might be able to.
Dark Chocolate aka minority.
Reply 33
Interesting. Would it be possibly to start an agency that caters only for White Europeans or would that be out of order? I thought segregation was dead.
Psyk
Just apply for it and if they say you're too white, sue them for racial discrimination.

and this is why PC is getting so ******* ridiculous. this **** actually happens.
also, try to seperate 'race' from 'colour' in your head. one can hardly be accused of racial discrimination in a race debate, and the government cant really say anything of racial discrimination with their "positive discrimination" policies, and the fact that the OP even has to apply or has the oppurtunity to apply for anything to do with race.
ak56
Interesting. Would it be possibly to start an agency that caters only for White Europeans or would that be out of order?

Yes you can start such an agency, the BNP had a similar policy for joining their organisation.
You're half caste.
Did your grandad raped your grandma?
Reply 38
Dairy Milk Chocolate
Yes you can start such an agency, the BNP had a similar policy for joining their organisation.

Yes they had and then they were told it was illegal. So clearly it isn't allowed to have a whites only group.
If you can't work out why it was illegal then I pity you xD

Latest

Trending

Trending