Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think of this website ? Any good ?
    http://www.galingas.lt/lng;EN

Plus is chip tuning really worth it ?

Any of you guys had any experiences with chip tuning ?

use a local company not some unknown website.

and it only produces worthwhile gains with forced induction. i gained 40bhp with my stage 1 map...

ReputationRep:
    I actually found the add on facebook, tbh never heard of them either !

ReputationRep:
    Dude that company can't even spell Professional...avoid!

ReputationRep:
    I would go with a local set up.

I have always been rather tempted to get one of those ebay 'guaranteed to add 10hp' kits, and then complain when it doesn't work.

(Original post by terpineol)
    I have always been rather tempted to get one of those ebay 'guaranteed to add 10hp' kits, and then complain when it doesn't work.
    dont. they are just a resistor that goes across your intake air temperature sensor. makes the car run rich and is ultimately make it run like crap and be long term bad for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    dont. they are just a resistor that goes across your intake air temperature sensor. makes the car run rich and is ultimately make it run like crap and be long term bad for it
    It was more the fun of buying one and then asking where to plug it in as the instructions don't mention carbed engines I was thinking of. With no ECU to plug the thing into the only thing it could harm would be my wallet.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if you're going to do it, go to somewhere professional, get a reccomendation etc. Piston Heads may be a place to look, but not being a member over there I don't know how good the reccomendations would be :p:

ReputationRep:
    Get a plug-in chip rather than an actual remap - you can get a lot of money back for it when the car is sold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pleasehelpsomeone)
    Get a plug-in chip rather than an actual remap - you can get a lot of money back for it when the car is sold

I've been reading up on this as I want to do one for my next car. I would avoid generic plug in chips, power boost is not smooth and not really catered for your car and engine. A professional remap will take everything into account, thats what people have been saying, remap all the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    I've been reading up on this as I want to do one for my next car. I would avoid generic plug in chips, power boost is not smooth and not really catered for your car and engine. A professional remap will take everything into account, thats what people have been saying, remap all the way
    Really? Not even something like the Chip Express diesel chip tuning? The boxes are £400 but they can be had cheaper by making an offer (no affiliation) - there are several companies like this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pleasehelpsomeone)
    Really? Not even something like the Chip Express diesel chip tuning? The boxes are £400 but they can be had cheaper by making an offer (no affiliation) - there are several companies like this...
    Don't know about individual companies but from seeing what people on forums are saying from what they have done to their car e.t.c remap seems the best. It is more expensive but you get what you pay for. I will definitely be doing a remap, some companies will even change it back to standard map for free when u sell your car.

Remap is very specific to your car, alot more thought goes into it, then a simple plug in box. Both lead to increased stress on your engine so you may as well get the better one to ensure engine and clutch don't get damaged.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you just have to remember that the engine is factory made for a certain specification, and even if you do have it professionally remapped, the increased bhp and torque would reduce the life of the engine components. In my opinion save up for a faster factory car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hontoir)
    I guess you just have to remember that the engine is factory made for a certain specification, and even if you do have it professionally remapped, the increased bhp and torque would reduce the life of the engine components. In my opinion save up for a faster factory car.
    Yes and no, a lot of the time you can safely get more out of an engine by chipping it. Some people go mad with what they want and you will lose long term reliability, we see a few at work, not with cars admittedly, but you see some people with chips on who have done 100,000 miles, and some who's engines go bang after 1,000 miles! If you get a professional remap, tailored to suit your car, then the gains will be noticeable, useful and safe. You may well see improved economy as well as extra power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Yes and no, a lot of the time you can safely get more out of an engine by chipping it. Some people go mad with what they want and you will lose long term reliability, we see a few at work, not with cars admittedly, but you see some people with chips on who have done 100,000 miles, and some who's engines go bang after 1,000 miles! If you get a professional remap, tailored to suit your car, then the gains will be noticeable, useful and safe. You may well see improved economy as well as extra power.
    I can agree with most of the post, apart from the bold bit. Surely if this were the case, additional economy, power and no hit to reliability then the car would be like that in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hontoir)
    I can agree with most of the post, apart from the bold bit. Surely if this were the case, additional economy, power and no hit to reliability then the car would be like that in the first place.
    The same engine goes all around the world, and many places use crap diesel much below our own standards. Tuners take advantage of the fact that we have good diesel to up the performance of the engine a bit, while also being able to improve economy. Also remember that the manufacturer doesnt want a load of claims on its engines, so they do send them out in a lower state of tune.

If you get custom maps put on, then quite often the mechanic will sit in your car as you drive, recording all the inputs you make on the pedals, and they can tune the car to your exact driving style.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to remap my next car. Good economy with diesel and plenty of low down power!

ReputationRep:
    with chip tuning and remapping you get what you pay for.

ReputationRep:
    Remapping is best left to the well known companies. Revo, AMD, R-tech UK, bluefin, superchips, and a few others I can't think of now.

I know the guys at R-Tech and I can say that many people who use them (In the VW scene most use them) are very happy!
    IMO, they are only really worth it on turbo or diesel cars. They will give an extra 30hp - 60hp on their own on average, some more some less, that is on boost cars though.
    On NA engines they only thing they do is smooth out the power delivery and shift the power band slightly, along with a couple of HP extra, but only 3hp or 4hp.

Forget about them ebay chips that claim to give 10hp extra ans so on. They are rubbish as they are an off the shelf item rather than a custom map made to work with the mods you already have + if you have a solder type chip then unless you have amazing soldering skills and a very steady hand along with lots of patience and a spare ECU just in case...A decent remap will always require your car going on a rolling road.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.