Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Can someone explain to me why the second IE of sodium is greater than the 2nd IE of Magnesium.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This is because after one electron has been removed there will be less electrons and the nuclear charge will remain the same so there will be a greater attraction between the nucleus and the outer shell electrons. (hope this helps)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicl3)
    Hi

Can someone explain to me why the second IE of sodium is greater than the 2nd IE of Magnesium.

Thanks
    Na is in Gp 1, Mg is in Gp 2. After 1st IE, the next electron to be removed from in Na is in 2p that is a fully filled 2p. As E is inversely proportional to n square, lower n mean bigger E(empirically).

This is due to greater effective nuclear charge in Na+ if removing from 2p compared to removing the second electron from a 3s(ie Mg+). Greater Zeff = greater IE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicl3)
    Hi

Thanks

heyy well the electron being removed from Na is in the 2nd energy level, whilst the electron being removed from Mg is still in the 3rd energy level, so for Na there is less shielding, and the electron is closer to the nucelus so the attraction is stronger for Na,
    i think i know which paper ur doing, would you like the markscheme ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 13, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.