Turn on thread page Beta

OCR (Salters) AS Chemistry: Unit F332 (Post exam discussion Jan 2010) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tzarchasm)
    I felt the wording of the questions were a bit vague. Last year's one was easier to understand.
    I think I've got a maximum of a C. I'm wondering does anyone know if i can take another resit in june of this paper. I really need a B overall
    yeah you can retake it again
    i thought a few of the questions were a bit rubbish
    but on the whole, it was pretty good!!
    hoping for 85/90%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown111)
    Yup that works well.

So everyone, what do you reckon your grades are assuming the grade boundry is about 80/100 for A, 70/100 for B and so on.

I reckon I got between mid B worse-mid A best.
    Well since I was only a couple of marks off an A, a high A would be nice. :o:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    It was propan 2 one. There was no broad OH peak to suggest the product was a carboxylic acid. Only a C=O bond. So a ketone must have formed.
    Technically, it's just propanone, since there are no structural isomers of propanone, so there's no need to add the 2, since you can't have propan-1-one.

But oh wells

ReputationRep:
    There's a trick to the question where you had to draw the structure of the ester.
    I noticed when I went back through my paper before it finished.

It asked you to draw the ester formed when reacting H2SO4, the alchohol used was a dialcohol, meaning you had to draw a diester, with to carboxylic acids joint to it. It evensaid in the question, to form an ester with the molecular formula of C6HxO4.

ReputationRep:
    anyone remember what compound E was in Question 6? I think I got that bit wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I messed up the ester question. Saw the C6 H10 O4 and decided to be clever and point this out to the invigilators that there maybe a mistake. Come out of the exam hall and realise what a dunce i was.

I remember getting a really really low atom economy for the H2O2 question, sth like 1.50%. Did anyone else get something similar?

This paper had a lot more writing on it compared to the one in the summer, and I expect to have lost 5-10 marks, so hopefully i manage to get an A.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by major-major-major)
    I messed up the ester question. Saw the C6 H10 O4 and decided to be clever and point this out to the invigilators that there maybe a mistake. Come out of the exam hall and realise what a dunce i was.

I remember getting a really really low atom economy for the H2O2 question, sth like 1.50%. Did anyone else get something similar?

This paper had a lot more writing on it compared to the one in the summer, and I expect to have lost 5-10 marks, so hopefully i manage to get an A.
    Awww I thought that at first, but then I realised my mistake.

And no, I got 12.7%

ReputationRep:
    I think it went reasonably well. I really can't tell, though. I thought it was quite a nice paper, but some questions were a bit weird. I'm really hoping for an A, a high one hopefully. I got a C last time D;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keorl)
    anyone remember what compound E was in Question 6? I think I got that bit wrong.
    for E i got Propan-1-ol
    And F i got Propanone- ketone

what did u get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnthonyShock)
    There's a trick to the question where you had to draw the structure of the ester.
    I noticed when I went back through my paper before it finished.

It asked you to draw the ester formed when reacting H2SO4, the alchohol used was a dialcohol, meaning you had to draw a diester, with to carboxylic acids joint to it. It evensaid in the question, to form an ester with the molecular formula of C6HxO4.
    The main give-away to that question was the fact it told you it was reacting in excess ethanoic acid, indicating that a diester would be produced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keorl)
    propan-2-ol
    got converted into propan-2-one (or propanone)
    x

ReputationRep:
    yh i got the same...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    And no, I got 12.7%

I knew it, come on to TSR and then slowly find out that you have messed the exam up again.

ReputationRep:

my atom economy was 14.6%
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I knew it, come on to TSR and then slowly find out that you have messed the exam up again.
    Haha I know, I don't know why we do it to ourselves.... :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keorl)
    yh i got the same...
    yay us :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nameless_one)
    propan-2-ol
    got converted into propan-2-one (or propanone)
    x
    your DO NOT CLICK ON THIS IS is very funny lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hupper12345)
    your DO NOT CLICK ON THIS IS is very funny lol!
    lol
    thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nameless_one)
    my atom economy was 14.6%
    The question gave you the molecular masses of all products, but the only two you needed to use was H2O2 (34) and BaSO4 (233.4)

The calculation is just:

[34/(34+233.4)]*100 = 12.7%

You forgot to add the 34 on the bottom, you just did (34/233.4)*100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dem Chem)
    The gram calculation at the end?
    I got like 3.638g

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 6, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.