Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR (Salters) AS Chemistry: Unit F332 (Post exam discussion Jan 2010) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CertifiedAngel)
    Me too I got a D my own fault really.

Sorry guys I have the paper but Its in paper form, dont have the scanner so I cant scan it through, unless you want me to give you the wordy questions?
    :eek: You have the paper!! Can take take pictures or if, anything, pleassseee I will rep you forever!!! I really need that paper.

ReputationRep:

Sorry guys I have the paper but Its in paper form, dont have the scanner so I cant scan it through, unless you want me to give you the wordy questions?
    YEAHHHH! OMGOSH! PLEASE TAKE PICTURESS!! <333
    I will rep you also. XD

ReputationRep:

Same...! That's why I'm retaking... T^T
    sigh..

ReputationRep:
    :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    I have the paper as well, but I don't know where it is. We are talking about the Chains, Energy and Resources exam, aren't we? On Thursday?

I have done loads of revision, I'm averaging about 90% on all the past papers (the Chains and Rings and the How Far, How Fast ones) so hopefully this should be better than last time! I got a C.

ReputationRep:
    1a) general formula for an alkane

b) equation for incomplete combustion of octance, forming carbon monoxide and water

ii) why does incomplete combustion sometimes take place?

c) i) Write an equation for the reaction between CO and NO in a catalytic converter

ii) outline the stages that take place in a catalytic converter to allow CO to react with NO

d) skeletal formulae of a branched hydrocarbon and a clyclic hydrocarbon, each containing eight carbon atoms

e) Different gases have different contributions to global warming
    State two factors that affect the contribution of a greenhouse gas to global warming
    ii) Outline two methods that could have developed to achieve carbon capture and storage CCS.

2a) Define enthaply change of combustion

b) calculating, enthaply change and especific heat capacity - too long to type

c) i) What are standard conditions

ii) An incomplete equation is shown below for the chemical change that takes place to produce the standard enthalpy change of formation of hexane

Add state symbols to the equation to show each in its standard state

6C(...) + 7H2(....) = C6H14 (....)

iii) It is very difficult to determine the standard enthalpy change of formation of hexane directly. Suggest a reason why.

iv)Standard enthalpy change of formation of hexane can be determined indirectly

Calculate the enthalpy change of formation of hexane using the standard enthalpy changes of combustion below

C = -394
    H2 = -286
    C6H14= -4163

......kJmol-1

3)a) display formular of methypropene

then draw product of reaction of methylpropene with H2/ni catalyst
    Br2
    Hbr - mixture of isomers

b)
    Curly arrows are used to show the movement of elecron pairs during chemical reactions

Draw the mechanism for addition reaction of methyl propene with bromine. worth 4 marks

c) A student reacted 7.65g of cyclohexanol, C6H12O and obtained 0.0268 mol of cyclohexene

i) whats the molecular formular of clyclohexane?

ii) calculate percentage yield of cyclohexene

d)

i) explain the term atom economy

ii) missed it out - need to see diagram soz

a) High pressures and low temperatures would give the maximum equilibrium yield of methanol. Explain why.

b) Explain why the actual conditions used in the chemical industry might be different fromthose in:

CO + 2H2 = (EQULIBRIUM) CH30H enthalpy change -91kJmol (done in the presence of copper, zinc oxide and alumina which act as a catalyst)

c) i) Chlorine radicals catalyse some reactions
    Choose a reaction that you have studied that is catalysed by chlorine radicals

Write down an equation for the overall reaction and show how chlorine radicals are not consumed by the overall reactions.

ii) Sketch an enthalpy profile diagram for an exothermic reaction to show how a catalyst provides an alternative route with a lower activation energy.

d)
    Chemical companies are using catalysts to develop processes that are more sustainable. These processes reduce costs and are lesss harmful to the environment.

Suggest two ways in which the use of catalysts helps chemical companies make their processes more sustainable.

(4 marks)

ReputationRep:
    Shall write out the last few pages tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    OMG that is the best thing ever - having last years paper, do you have a markscheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    I have the paper as well, but I don't know where it is. We are talking about the Chains, Energy and Resources exam, aren't we? On Thursday?

I have done loads of revision, I'm averaging about 90% on all the past papers (the Chains and Rings and the How Far, How Fast ones) so hopefully this should be better than last time! I got a C.
    Can you please please please try and look for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcdc09)
    OMG that is the best thing ever - having last years paper, do you have a markscheme?
    yes but ill type it out tomorrow when i have time. And btw im applying for pharmacy as wll, not heard from nottingham so far though =/

ReputationRep:
    1a) general formula for an alkane

b) equation for incomplete combustion of octance, forming carbon monoxide and water

ii) why does incomplete combustion sometimes take place?

c) i) Write an equation for the reaction between CO and NO in a catalytic converter

ii) outline the stages that take place in a catalytic converter to allow CO to react with NO

d) skeletal formulae of a branched hydrocarbon and a clyclic hydrocarbon, each containing eight carbon atoms

e) Different gases have different contributions to global warming
    State two factors that affect the contribution of a greenhouse gas to global warming
    ii) Outline two methods that could have developed to achieve carbon capture and storage CCS.

2a) Define enthaply change of combustion

b) calculating, enthaply change and especific heat capacity - too long to type

c) i) What are standard conditions

ii) An incomplete equation is shown below for the chemical change that takes place to produce the standard enthalpy change of formation of hexane

Add state symbols to the equation to show each in its standard state

6C(...) + 7H2(....) = C6H14 (....)

iii) It is very difficult to determine the standard enthalpy change of formation of hexane directly. Suggest a reason why.

iv)Standard enthalpy change of formation of hexane can be determined indirectly

Calculate the enthalpy change of formation of hexane using the standard enthalpy changes of combustion below

C = -394
    H2 = -286
    C6H14= -4163

......kJmol-1

3)a) display formular of methypropene

then draw product of reaction of methylpropene with H2/ni catalyst
    Br2
    Hbr - mixture of isomers

b)
    Curly arrows are used to show the movement of elecron pairs during chemical reactions

Draw the mechanism for addition reaction of methyl propene with bromine. worth 4 marks

c) A student reacted 7.65g of cyclohexanol, C6H12O and obtained 0.0268 mol of cyclohexene

i) whats the molecular formular of clyclohexane?

ii) calculate percentage yield of cyclohexene

d)

i) explain the term atom economy

ii) missed it out - need to see diagram soz

a) High pressures and low temperatures would give the maximum equilibrium yield of methanol. Explain why.

b) Explain why the actual conditions used in the chemical industry might be different fromthose in:

CO + 2H2 = (EQULIBRIUM) CH30H enthalpy change -91kJmol (done in the presence of copper, zinc oxide and alumina which act as a catalyst)

c) i) Chlorine radicals catalyse some reactions
    Choose a reaction that you have studied that is catalysed by chlorine radicals

Write down an equation for the overall reaction and show how chlorine radicals are not consumed by the overall reactions.

ii) Sketch an enthalpy profile diagram for an exothermic reaction to show how a catalyst provides an alternative route with a lower activation energy.

d)
    Chemical companies are using catalysts to develop processes that are more sustainable. These processes reduce costs and are lesss harmful to the environment.

Suggest two ways in which the use of catalysts helps chemical companies make their processes more sustainable.

(4 marks)
    Is this F322??
    Why is it so hard? I'm having a nervous breakdown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Have No Imagination)
    Is this F322??
    Why is it so hard? I'm having a nervous breakdown.
    yep but i took out extra information in some of the questions soz cos i didnt want to type out loads of stuff x

ReputationRep:
    yep but i took out extra information in some of the questions soz cos i didnt want to type out loads of stuff x
    :O I haven't revised any of that!
    But thank you so much for writing it up!
    I shall rep you tomorrow, I already used it today.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a minor panic here- do we need to learn Avagardo & Planck constants???? I looked on the data sheet and it's not there. Can anyone help me?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lexafish)
    I'm having a minor panic here- do we need to learn Avagardo & Planck constants???? I looked on the data sheet and it's not there. Can anyone help me?!?
    Probably not because they're always in the question.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone understand why addition reactions have an atom economy of 100% whereas substitution reactions are less efficient?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 邓.琳)
    Does anyone understand why addition reactions have an atom economy of 100% whereas substitution reactions are less efficient?
    Addition reactions that only make one product have 100% atom economy because they are the only product made so every atom is used. Subsituition reactions have two products, which means it cannot have an atom economy of 100% because you are making an unwanted product too

Does that make sense or did i explain it really poorely?

ReputationRep:
    are there any revision noted for this on tsr? i only started revising today and im worried!!!!!! how hard do u htink it will be? have the year below done the first unit exam [email protected];...does anyone know when it is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Have No Imagination)
    Probably not because they're always in the question.
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Just curious if anybody is retaking the paper from last year. I dropped chem at AS, but i'm retaking. Silly decision, I know.

What do you guys think will come up on the paper? What do you find the most difficult? xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.