Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so we know career in business wise, consultancy is the best option for a graduate. We know for a career money wise, IB is the best option for a graduate. But if you don't actually want to do either of these (IB doesn't interest me/I don't have the knowledge of the industry and Consultancy does interest me but I don't like the fact you will never be at home and always be moving as I would like to set up home etc), then what would be next best option?

A general management scheme sounds appealing but if it means working in Tesco for £23k then you might as well go for the graduate schemes at the smaller firms and earn a bit more money.

What do you guys have knowledge on/suggest? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IARELOVEAMY)
    OK, so we know career in business wise, consultancy is the best option for a graduate. We know for a career money wise, IB is the best option for a graduate. But if you don't actually want to do either of these (IB doesn't interest me/I don't have the knowledge of the industry and Consultancy does interest me but I don't like the fact you will never be at home and always be moving as I would like to set up home etc), then what would be next best option?

A general management scheme sounds appealing but if it means working in Tesco for £23k then you might as well go for the graduate schemes at the smaller firms and earn a bit more money.

What do you guys have knowledge on/suggest? Thanks.
    milkround

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    milkround
    It got boring too quick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoZEr)
    milkround
    The milkround encompasses every industry?

Many blue-chips have accelerated graduate programmes for high-flyers, others internal strategy roles, some prestigious graduate positions (e.g. Google, Saatchix2), all of which would might be suitable for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    And theres business and finance within every industry

ReputationRep:

Many blue-chips have accelerated graduate programmes for high-flyers, others internal strategy roles, some prestigious graduate positions (e.g. Google, Saatchix2), all of which would might be suitable for you.
    Thanks for your response! I like the sound of the "internal strategy" positions and even the "business strategy analyst". Some of these firms do offer the opportunity for furthering your career and with research, I've found that not only consultants offer great career paths.

ReputationRep:
    If you've researched it already, why did you make this thread?

ReputationRep:
    Because other people may be able to give me information on the topic too... I'm not so arrogant to think that I can look at a few schemes I think will be good for me by using google and then get accepted to one of them. I need a range of schemes. I maybe should research more yes, but before I did, I wanted peoples opinions on which ones are actually good.

ReputationRep:
    For me personally, my back up would have been:

ACA at the Big 4 - next best thing imo, rigorous training, top qualification and decent salary/exit opps after a couple of years.

After this, I'd either have completed a PhD or set up my own business.

ReputationRep:
    If you've researched it already, why did you make this thread?
    That's exactly what I was thinking, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)

ACA at the Big 4 - next best thing imo, rigorous training, top qualification and decent salary/exit opps after a couple of years.

Is that Actuaries? I don't really know the ins and outs of it but is it to do with insurance and predicting the financial implications of risk/events?

ReputationRep:

Just out of curiosity, what would you set up as in business?

ReputationRep:
    I have a few good ideas, not willing to give them away on here though!

Also, ACA is the chartered accountancy qualification.

ReputationRep:

Also, ACA is the chartered accountancy qualification.
    Ahhh yes, accounting I would go in to. I would more want a Management accounting position though. A firm in my very village recruits two new graduates per year and I asked if it was all just accounting and she said that consulting in some way or another is an option after a few years but that first you must qualify and then you know all the basics. Makes sense seen as they are a Accountancy firm.. maybe I should suggest Management/strategic consultancy as an extra service to offer

ReputationRep:
    can someone please eplain to me what a Consultanc job wihing business is about and what degree is needed out of curiosity thanks

ReputationRep:

Ideas = 100 a penny. Noone cares about ideas. Execute well and you can turn selling ice into millions, if you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityMonkey)
    Ideas = 100 a penny. Noone cares about ideas. Execute well and you can turn selling ice into millions, if you want.
    I know, I wasn't going to steal his idea, I was just curious as to what someone wanting to go into IB or Consulting would set up as in Business.

ReputationRep:
    The people that execute care

ReputationRep:
    Plus, you don't get a lot of these people.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that ACA / ACCA (not as respected) are often treated as universal 'get-out clauses' for people short on options or just unsure when they leave uni. I dont mean this with any distain - the ACA is a pretty sure-fire way to get onto a good pay scale after the three years it should take to qualify (don't know figures but they aren't bad maybe 24-28k pre-qual, 35-45 soon after? correct me if im wrong! nothing compared to banking of course). Say, in audit, you get a lot of travel (going by various friends' experiences), exposure to lots of different businesses but will be expected to fill the role of '*****' for a while (lots of the work is dull to start with and you will be studying as if back at uni). It sounds like this might be a good option - but these roles, too, are competitive, and you'll need to get in early and demonstrate motivation.

How one demonstrates motivation for auditing is beyond me. Eyes on the prize (ACA).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.