Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of anger over the grey squirrels that have been introduced to Britain and are now threatening to wipe out their cousins, the red squirrels. One of the main arguments is that they are not native and so red squirrels deserve the right to dominance. I can appreciate this argument fully.

However, for me, and perhaps many of you, I was brought up with grey squirrels and cannot even remember a time when the reds were the dominant species. So, for me at least, grey squirrels area great part of our wildlife and I definitely don't have a great hatred of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xarcul)
    There is a lot of anger over the grey squirrels that have been introduced to Britain and are now threatening to wipe out their cousins, the red squirrels. One of the main arguments is that they are not native and so red squirrels deserve the right to dominance. I can appreciate this argument fully.

However, for me, and perhaps many of you, I was brought up with grey squirrels and cannot even remember a time when the reds were the dominant species. So, for me at least, grey squirrels area great part of our wildlife and I definitely don't have a great hatred of them!
    I've seen red squirrels in the UK myself, but only very occasionally, when I've been up in the Lake District. It's a real shame that their population in this country is severely threatened, as they're beautiful creatures. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I've seen a few red squirrels from time to time. Living in rural Yorkshire, it's had not to come across a certain amount of wildlife. But there aren't as many as grey squirrels, obviously. But in a way your right, some people will have no grown up having only seen grey squirrels, so it's kind of how we are now.

It's kind of like evolution - the survival of the fittest any everything. Just natures way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_x)
    I've seen a few red squirrels from time to time. Living in rural Yorkshire, it's had not to come across a certain amount of wildlife. But there aren't as many as grey squirrels, obviously. But in a way your right, some people will have no grown up having only seen grey squirrels, so it's kind of how we are now.

It's kind of like evolution - the survival of the fittest any everything. Just natures way!
    I'd agree, the difference being that grey squirrels were introduced to the UK artificially rather than evolving here. It's still a shame to see reds becoming so rare, though.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived all my life in Austria and Poland and I've never known squirrels other than red existed before I visited Britain. I was so shocked when I was just sitting on a bench in a London park, eating a sandwich, when a HUGE (the reds I know are so tiny!) grey squirrel jumped almost on my knees! It just sat next to me on the bench, not afraid at all and took some of the sandwich I offered o.O It was an unusual experience but the squirrel was too cute to hate! It's not like it's their fault that they're a stronger species.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.