Turn on thread page Beta

At a crossroads with my program watch

ReputationRep:
    Although the title may be a bit of an overstatement, and I certainly don't want to change anything too drastically- hey, I'm doing SS- I need a bit of advice.

Basically, I started lifting this time last year at a bodyweight of 9.5 stones (aged 19) and height 5ft 11. For the first 8-9 months I foolishly did a bodybuilder's workout, too much emphasis on isolation exercises- although I did squat and deadlift. After this I discovered SS and have been doing this with GOMAD, I'm now a little over 13 stones. Although, Rippetoe and co kind of conditioned me to not worry about gaining fat, I think I'm packing on a bit too much now- my guess would be at least 18-20%, and I've gained most of this in the last 6 months. Also my lifts aren't hugely impressive, I currently deadlift 120kg for 1x5 and squat a ridiculous 75kg 3x5. I havn't been able to workout properly for the past 2 months because of a small hernia and other more minor injuries which I've waited to die down.

Anyway, I'm thinking about cutting down- I wonna get my bodyfat % to something quite low, firstly and most importantly to prove to myself that I can and also for the summer. I'm worried this is going to have a big effect on my progress- I really wonna get my squat up to something more respectable.

To do this, I'm thinking that I shouldn't do anything too drastic with my program and diet to start off with. I'm planning to drop my carb intake a little and do a bit more cycling. I'm going to start cycling to get around and this adds up to around 20 mins of cycling 3 days a week, which will be flat out. I know that this isn't nearly enough for anything significant, but I want to see the results and then go on from there.

To clear things up a bit more, my current diet involves around 6 pints of whole milk a day, 2 decent sized meals (600-800cals), whey and a further 2 slices of bread with large amounts of peanut butter.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome,

cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmz34)
    Although the title may be a bit of an overstatement, and I certainly don't want to change anything too drastically- hey, I'm doing SS- I need a bit of advice.

Basically, I started lifting this time last year at a bodyweight of 9.5 stones (aged 19) and height 5ft 11. For the first couple of months I foolishly did a bodybuilder's workout, too much emphasis on isolation exercises- although I did squat and deadlift. After this I discovered SS and have been doing this with GOMAD, I'm now a little over 13 stones. Although, Rippetoe and co kind of conditioned me to not worry about gaining fat, I think I'm packing on a bit too much now- my guess would be at least 18-20%, and I've gained most of this in the last 6 months. Also my lifts aren't hugely impressive, I currently deadlift 120kg for 1x5 and squat a ridiculous 75kg 3x5. I havn't been able to workout properly for the past 2 months because of a small hernia and other more minor injuries which I've waited to die down.

Anyway, I'm thinking about cutting down- I wonna get my bodyfat % to something quite low, firstly and most importantly to prove to myself that I can and also for the summer. I'm worried this is going to have a big effect on my progress- I really wonna get my squat up to something more respectable.

To do this, I'm thinking that I shouldn't do anything too drastic with my program and diet to start off with. I'm planning to drop my carb intake a little and do a bit more cycling. I'm going to start cycling to get around and this adds up to around 20 mins of cycling 3 days a week, which will be flat out. I know that this isn't nearly enough for anything significant, but I want to see the results and then go on from there.

To clear things up a bit more, my current diet involves around 6 pints of whole milk a day, 2 decent sized meals (600-800cals), whey and a further 2 slices of bread with large amounts of peanut butter.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome,

cheers.
    How long have you run SS for?

ReputationRep:
    On and off, 3 months. I say off because when I'm not at uni I can't squat, don't have access to a squat rack.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps that is why my good friend

ReputationRep:
    If you've stalled move onto texas training, its the best progression from SS (assuming that fits your goals)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    If you've stalled move onto texas training, its the best progression from SS (assuming that fits your goals)
    I've thought about this, but I don't think any healthy 20 yr old male should stall at a 75kg squat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmz34)
    I've thought about this, but I don't think any healthy 20 yr old male should stall at a 75kg squat.
    Tbh, 75kg isnt all that more than you would expect people to start squatting. Video your technique to check its right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Tbh, 75kg isnt all that more than you would expect people to start squatting. Video your technique to check its right.
    Aye. Its wierd, I don't have weedy legs- theres clearly quite a bit of muscle, but yet there is something fundamentally wrong. I think it lies with the hip drive, can't seem to generate any of this, its like I'm squatting from a low position, even after reading SS still getting nowhere with it. I've never been really good at anything thats heavily leg related, e.g.sprinting, my vertical jump is pretty crap as well. I'm benching 85kg and rowing 70kg for 3x5 to show you the ridiculous imbalance in my upper body and lower body strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmz34)
    Aye. Its wierd, I don't have weedy legs- theres clearly quite a bit of muscle, but yet there is something fundamentally wrong. I think it lies with the hip drive, can't seem to generate any of this, its like I'm squatting from a low position, even after reading SS still getting nowhere with it. I've never been really good at anything thats heavily leg related, e.g.sprinting, my vertical jump is pretty crap as well. I'm benching 85kg and rowing 70kg for 3x5 to show you the ridiculous imbalance in my upper body and lower body strength.
    Try things like romanian deadlift and power clean to help with ze drive

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.