Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Evening all, I have what I would describe as a predicament..

In June of last year I dropped out of my second year on a University course doing Computer Science, due to family issues.

I have 3 A levels - AAB
    And good GCSEs - 6A* 2A 2B 1C

I have 5 months of retail management experience as a deputy manager, but December of last year I walked out of that job, due to issues with pay etc.

Now I am left with no degree (also the fact that should i wish to go back to University I would have to pay in excess of £8k for the first year), no job, and appraently the last month of job hunting has brought up nothing.

I recently applied for the RN, and got rejected due to my hearing deficiency. I have an interview with the RFA but am worried my hearing will also remove all hopes of that.

I have started looking at college courses, especially those pointing towards mechanical engineering, now would it be possible to get a job from a HNC in Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering?? As i see little point in doing it if it is to be of any benefits...

Also I have looked down the Police/Fire Fighter line, does anyone know from experience if they are also very selective over hearing..

Many thanks

Any questions I will try to answer

Mike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hontoir)
    Evening all, I have what I would describe as a predicament..

In June of last year I dropped out of my second year on a University course doing Computer Science, due to family issues.

I have 3 A levels - AAB
    And good GCSEs - 6A* 2A 2B 1C
    Why not resume your Computer Science degree ? - that way you won't have to do first year again.

ReputationRep:
    Because i find the degree boring, and dont want to get a job in a field that i find boring.

ReputationRep:
    hey hontoir,

I droped out of my construction degree because of poor attendance/performance, (too young and immature, etc) but i did manage to talk my way into a mechanical design job, and am now completing a HNC part timein mech/manu on a half day release. My grades were no where near as good at urs at GCSE or A level and i find the HNC very easy compared to Degree level. I am also taking course from OU at the same time, to top this up to a BENg, and then would like to go on to a MSc in renewable energies. If you have the money or dont mind getting into debt, then i would say go for the degree in mechanical eng through red brick uni. On the other hand, im paying £500 per year for HNC, and because i loose a few hours of work and pay by going to tech, i fall under the threshold and get my OU fee's paid for me. This will work out ALOT cheaper and is a good for me as i can work in engineering while i study. U may not find work until you complete your HNC but after that there will be many options open to you, to top it up to a degree!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.