Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I was just wondering whether anyone else has had an assignment back and the advice that has been given literally just rips your assignment to pieces.

I got mine back the other day and they have not mentioned any good parts they have just said it is not good structure ect and not worthy to be a degree essay!!

I can not see how they can get away with writing stuff like that but obviously they can.

Anyone else found this??

ReputationRep:
    I got my first one back today. Got C+ so bit disappointed but it's the first piece of written work like that I've done since A-levels in 2004! Got a sentence worth of comment about it and that's it. We have now finished the module so doesn't look like I will be getting any other feedback about it!
    Don't worry, I'm sure the next one/few will be better. For me, it's getting back into the whole writing process!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipswichblade)
    I got my first one back today. Got C+ so bit disappointed but it's the first piece of written work like that I've done since A-levels in 2004! Got a sentence worth of comment about it and that's it. We have now finished the module so doesn't look like I will be getting any other feedback about it!
    Don't worry, I'm sure the next one/few will be better. For me, it's getting back into the whole writing process!
    Why does youre uni use letter grades? Ive never known one in England to...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, don't take it to heart - they mark hundreds and must just get cranky. Try to find any constructive points and work from there. I had one who complained about the size of the margin on my paper :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Why does youre uni use letter grades? Ive never known one in England to...
    The year is either a pass of a fail and the marks do not count towards the final degree. I have no idea, I am on a primary education course, it's quite different to other degrees anyway.

http://www2.worc.ac.uk/aqu/pdf/Gener...escriptors.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipswichblade)
    The year is either a pass of a fail and the marks do not count towards the final degree. I have no idea, I am on a primary education course, it's quite different to other degrees anyway.

http://www2.worc.ac.uk/aqu/pdf/Gener...escriptors.pdf
    How odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    How odd.
    Don't see how it matters really. I think it's just the primary education QTS course that have the grades and not the other degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    you should be greatful for the criticism. all my dissertation tutor has ever said to me (numerous occasions) is 'thats good, now write some more'. Constructive.
    I am greatful. There has to be a line though. My mum is a teacher and said she would get sacked for writing something like that.

I think mine was too harsh comments. It did not have one possitive thing written on it.

ReputationRep:
    I've had assignments back like that. One lecturer gave me a really good grade, but absolutely slated my lab report..... but I guess they're just trying to give you ideas on how to make it better, whatever grade you get. I prefer criticisms rather than just ticks (which some lecturers do, minimal comments are NOT helpful!).

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Minimal is not helpful.

I just would have liked one little thing like it was a good attempt then slate it. I just find it all slightly harsh and I am in my first year so I am still getting used to everything. I will just bear in mind in the future that the assignment can get slated. That way it will not be such a big shock.

I also want to pass this module because if I do not then I am slightly worried that I will not be able to go onto year two with the other 5 that I hopefully pass. I want to drop this module anyway. It is all very confusing.

ReputationRep:
    At my first uni the markers were really harsh, at this one they are very good at giving feedback. I have had whole sheets of feedback before, which is not uncommon. However we are a small department so everyone knows each other well

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.