Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This year i got rejected to read PPE at Lincoln,Oxford, and i was hoping to reapply.
    Please could anyone who has reapplied in the past tell me about what happened (college, success/otherwise, course, etc.)
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I applied in '08 for entry in '09 to St. Peter's for Philosophy & Theology and was rejected, so applied this year to LMH for Theology and got a place happy to chat to you via PM if you have questions.

Edit- obviously I can only give anecdotal evidence and advice, but happy to if you'd like it.

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of doing the same if I get rejected from St Andrews...

ReputationRep:
    My situation is rather different, in that I got an offer from Cambridge, didn't get the grades, then applied to Oxford, and got in. I always like to encourage people to reapply - everyone I know who's reapplied has got in - granted that's only 3 people, but still..! One thing, though - the reason it was so easy for me to make the decision to reapply was that I was already taking a gap year. Is this the same for you? Also, what's going to make your application next year so much better than the first? I did a lot of preparation/interview practice - if you're willing to do this, I'd say go for it!

Just some thoughts - I'm by no means an expert!

ReputationRep:
    I reapplied to Oxford and got in after I got rejected (but only just) by Cambridge. I highly recommend that before you reapply you take a close look at your feedback and how you thought your interviews went and make sure you can do better (+work on the points raised in the feedback).

ReputationRep:
    I applied for a deferred place to read English at Brasenose last year, was rejected, reapplied to Teddy Hall and got in. As is shown by my application for a deferred place, I was already planning on taking a gap year, and I had quite well developed plans for what the year would entail. Although I feel that I was much better prepared for the interview experience as a whole the second time round (less nervous, etc), be advised that if you are interviewed again it's likely that your experience in the interviews next time around may be quite different (mine certainly was! ) - so don't let your preparation become too fixated on the expectation that it'll be a repeat of "what happened last time", just in case the tutors have a totally different interview style. ...This all assuming that you were rejected post-interview...!

Hope this helps! (I know I was rambling quite a bit... ) Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaymee)
    I applied for a deferred place to read English at Brasenose last year, was rejected, reapplied to Teddy Hall and got in. As is shown by my application for a deferred place, I was already planning on taking a gap year, and I had quite well developed plans for what the year would entail. Although I feel that I was much better prepared for the interview experience as a whole the second time round (less nervous, etc), be advised that if you are interviewed again it's likely that your experience in the interviews next time around may be quite different (mine certainly was! ) - so don't let your preparation become too fixated on the expectation that it'll be a repeat of "what happened last time", just in case the tutors have a totally different interview style. ...This all assuming that you were rejected post-interview...!

Hope this helps! (I know I was rambling quite a bit... ) Good luck!
    I think I rather fell into this trap a bit! My Oxford interviews were so different to my Cambridge ones, even just in style, that I was utterly demoralised after my first interview and convinced I'd already failed. I was then rather flustered for my second interview too! Error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucycl)
    My situation is rather different, in that I got an offer from Cambridge, didn't get the grades, then applied to Oxford, and got in. I always like to encourage people to reapply - everyone I know who's reapplied has got in - granted that's only 3 people, but still..! One thing, though - the reason it was so easy for me to make the decision to reapply was that I was already taking a gap year. Is this the same for you? Also, what's going to make your application next year so much better than the first? I did a lot of preparation/interview practice - if you're willing to do this, I'd say go for it!

Just curious. What grades did Cambridge ask you for last year; which college did you get an offer from last year; and what grades did you actually get ?

ReputationRep:

Oops, pressed the button too fast! And which Oxford college are you going to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bighhh)
    This year i got rejected to read PPE at Lincoln,Oxford, and i was hoping to reapply.
    Please could anyone who has reapplied in the past tell me about what happened (college, success/otherwise, course, etc.)
    Thanks!
    My major piece of advice is to take some more time to think about it. You still have to get those pesky grades and Oxford might not feel so important in a few months time.

Wait and think.A gap year is a massive commitment and so it's worth contemplating properly.If you still want to go for it afterwards, then at least you know you're fully up for it.

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected last year, for a course I wasn't that interested in. I mean, I loved/love Japanese, but not to the point where I could have stayed dedicated for 4 years at university.
    I applied for it in the first place because I was told by my parents and my teachers that I probably wasnt good enough for law because I wasn't academic enough.

I ended up pulling out of university on results day cause I got quite good grades. I figured I could finally shoot for my dream and become a lawyer.

And here I am, 4 months on...
    with an offer. :}

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother, the odds are still stacked against you and unless your prodcuvtive, its a waste of a year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoire)
    I applied in '08 for entry in '09 to St. Peter's for Philosophy & Theology and was rejected, so applied this year to LMH for Theology and got a place happy to chat to you via PM if you have questions.

Edit- obviously I can only give anecdotal evidence and advice, but happy to if you'd like it.
    Hey, what differences were there in your application for the second year?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jon of the North)
    Don't bother, the odds are still stacked against you and unless your prodcuvtive, its a waste of a year!
    Well, it should be noted that the acceptance rate for reapplicants is roughly the same as for first time applicants - something like one in four (although that might have changed now that applications have increased in general). It's quite likely you (OP) won't get in the second time round, either.

That said, so long as you're doing something worthwhile during your gap year, I wouldn't say it was a waste. Is there anything you've always wanted to do - anywhere you've always wanted to travel? Quite a lot of the people I meet here have taken gap years, and I'd certainly say mine was the right decision, but only because I did something worthwhile with my year (learnt something and grew up a bit). Quite apart from anything else, Oxford won't be particularly impressed if you tell them your gap year plans are to sit on the sofa all day watching daytime television. :p:

So, don't do it unless you can think of something to do that'll make it a worthwhile year, even if you get rejected again.

(Successful reapplicant, by the way, though I was rejected from Cambridge the first time round.)

ReputationRep:
    I was asked to get 90% in two of my subjects at A2 (I was applying for a gap year so they decided I should get the equivalent of the A*s they were going to be offering to the year below me - I got the offer before they'd decided their official policy would be 1 A*, rather than 2 ) for History at Trinity. I cracked under the pressure and ended up getting no 90%s and a couple of B modules and a C module - error..
    Brasenose this year
    That explains it. I would have hated the 90% dictat. It's one thing getting it, another to be told you have to. Esp. x 2. I wonder if Cambridge may miss out on some really interesting students because of it? Are Oxford thinking of introducing it does anyone know, or sticking to their more fluid approach? Bet you're pleased with Brasenose anyway; well done!l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micah114)
    Hey, what differences were there in your application for the second year?
    Errrm well apart from actually having the grades rather than just being predicted them, not much that's really tangible. I'd won a couple of essay competitions in upper 6th too which might have helped, but I doubt it. I think I was much more confident- not only because I knew the Oxford system so it wasn't so scary, but also because I knew that if I didn't get in my life would carry on as normal haha, last year I thought if I was rejected it'd be the end of the world and actually, it wasn't. I also had offers from Bristol and Durham this time when I went to interview which really boosted my confidence, whereas last year I had nowhere I wanted to go to so had absolutely everything riding on Oxford. I knew a lot more about my subject this year too, not specific knowledge but just more general themes, and I think that made me feel like I had a better standing at interview than last year. There were certain circumstances which seriously affected my work last year too, which thankfully weren't the same this year.

ReputationRep:
    I applied '08, got rejected after interview. Ending up missing my grades for my firm university offer in summer '08, so resat A levels and reapplied in '09, currently in Hilary term of first year. More than happy to chat to anyone who wants advice, on here or PM.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same question too.. I applied for Law this year at Oxford but was rejected post-interview. I think if I don't manage to get an offer from my second choice (or even possibly third) I will consider a gap year.

Would it be too late now to ask for feedback on my interview seeing as it is now January? And would it now be too late to try and find some things to work on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apple24)
    I have the same question too.. I applied for Law this year at Oxford but was rejected post-interview. I think if I don't manage to get an offer from my second choice (or even possibly third) I will consider a gap year.

Would it be too late now to ask for feedback on my interview seeing as it is now January? And would it now be too late to try and find some things to work on?
    It definitely isn't too late to ask for feedback. IIRC I only got mine in February, so call the college to find out what their policy is (some will only send to students, some will only send to referees etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaymee)
    I applied for a deferred place to read English at Brasenose last year, was rejected, reapplied to Teddy Hall and got in. As is shown by my application for a deferred place, I was already planning on taking a gap year, and I had quite well developed plans for what the year would entail.
    Massive ditto! Apart from Hugh's this year for me. I was told even in the interview last year that they'd had loads of great applicants for deferred English at Brasenose. Wonderful.

But yeah, another successful reapplicant here so I'm hardly going to say it's a bad idea ...

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.