Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Had 1 measly official snow day.

They better not do it at my school.

ReputationRep:
    My school didn't close ONCE due to snow, and there is ALOT of snow in the midlands, for 2 days running we were one of 2 colleges in the area to remain open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    You're not going to like university then. There's no such thing as half-term.
    This is true

ReputationRep:
    Would it not be a better idea to extend school hours. At my old secondary school we had 6 50 minute lessons. We finished lessons at 5 past 3. If there have been 5 days off, there's no reason school couldn't finish an hour later for half a term Enough people stayed behind in detention anyway.

For us college students, I'd imagine that most colleges can say that the students will catch up in their frees. Which is fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    I have one during the first term :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I've just had an 11 week term, I'm now starting a 12 week term. No such think as reading week - this is as close as it gets...exam week but I don't have any exams (THANK GOD!) What I would give for a half term...

ReputationRep:
    Half terms were ok but it isn't enough time to relax, school wasn't that bad anyway guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    I havn't had any snowed in days, madening :eek3:
    There's a little mistake in your usertitle, it should be "revanche", rather than "revenge" :p:

ReputationRep:
    Poor wee lambs... 2 months without a break? How WILL you survive...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    There's a little mistake in your usertitle, it should be "revanche", rather than "revenge" :p:
    -checks albulm-

Ahhh I thought I changed it, cheers

ReputationRep:
    Two months without a break is easy, trust me, I have that at Uni and I don't have half days (latest start is 10am and earliest finish is 3pm) or a reading week. Plus my 3 week Christmas holidays have comprised of 4 days off as the rest of the time has been revision. After my exams I'll get four days off and then I'm back in for 10 weeks (again no reading week and no half days), then revising most of Easter for my finals. Few more weeks in, then my finals and then about 8 weeks off and then I join the working world.

At the end of the day, as much as you may moan about having your half term taken off you, it's in your best interests, as you may get that question in the exam that you can't answer because you didn't finish the curriculum in time.

ReputationRep:
    OP's not going to like work either, seen as there's no such thing as an Easter break!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Yeah but you get massive holidays around Christmas, Easter and the summer. Even when compared to school holidays.

You're really not going to like having a job:p:
    Eh? Ok summer is long, yeh, but our Easter and Christmas is only about 2 weeks long, I had less time off over Christmas than my brother and sister who are at secondary school... last year we had lectures on Easter Monday :o:

ReputationRep:
    My school stayed open so it wouldn't be fair for the people who went in everyday despite the snow. I managed to only miss 1 day and I live quite far away from my school so I don't think our half term will be affected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    Eh? Ok summer is long, yeh, but our Easter and Christmas is only about 2 weeks long, I had less time off over Christmas than my brother and sister who are at secondary school... last year we had lectures on Easter Monday :o:
    Maybe it's different in Scotland. In England most universities have a month off around Christmas and Easter and 3-4 months off for summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Maybe it's different in Scotland. In England most universities have a month off around Christmas and Easter and 3-4 months off for summer.
    Hmm, I think most unis do vary, I know Edinburgh has really long holidays... I spose we technically have more than 2 weeks off of lectures at Christmas, but I wouldn't count exam period as holiday, so we def don't have long over Christmas. Summer is about 3-4 months as well though

Yeah but you have like 5 months off anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I wish I had a month off for Xmas and Easter. It was originally 2 weeks for Xmas, but everyone revolted, so the uni changed it to 3 weeks. 3 weeks at Easter as well. Stupidly long summer, which isn't good. I really feel for the people who have exams (I don't get exams in Jan in my 3rd year) cos they've gone from 11 weeks of teaching, to 3 weeks of Xmas holiday, to exam week, and then going straight into 12 more weeks of lectures...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Manitude)
    They wouldn't be able to enforce it. I'm sure they'd find that everybody suddenly remembered that they had an expensive week abroad which couldn't be cancelled without losing hundreds of pounds.
    And on that note...I *might* be going off to Iceland this half term :P

I'm going to Tunisia.

That said, I leave the Wednesday before (to make it cheaper), meaning I miss a couple of lectures and have to hand in a coursework and a dissertation early. How stupid am I!

Will be nice to spend Valentine's on the beach with my boyfriend though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    People seem to be really harsh on teachers and school this year. If not enough teachers can get in, the school cannot open properly. That is the law. Headteachers shouldn't be criticised for this.
    Also, some schools are on steep hills that are very dangerous to get up. The school can grit the school site, but if the council doesn't grit the hills, then the school will have to close.
    Ahaa, are you talking about my school ;D

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.