Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Now depressed. Now i'm going to do something.. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm currently at university and well...i just had one of my exams and it went terrible, literally. I spent soo much time and effort trying to do well but on the day of questions, some of the questions i revised was on the paper however the questions were difficult i could not figure how to answer it. It went to the point, i stressed out and i could not think. Now couple hours later after sleep, i realised i screwed up even on the easiest question.

At first i questioned myself, was there a mistake on exam paper, and i thought it cant be, must be me, not getting the logic of it correctly.

This year is counting towards my degree and well...lets face it, it looks to be me i'm doing a resit so far, still 2 more exams to go. I'm depressed, literally, i can't seem to move on and revise my next exam, i keep dwelling. I have literally put alot of time and effort and a resist gets back fired at my face, now i'm feeling more stressed than ever and i'm fallen down to more depressed....on the verge literally giving up life and cry.

I need advice, i'm confused, depressed, stressed and well...talking to my parents about my situation is not going to help because i've just let them down. I know i have failed, i just can't believed it happened.

I'm spacing out alot than usual now, i don't feel my existence is worth on this world...this is not the first time i've been this depressed.

Everyone has their 'what's the point' moments. I have one everyday that I wake up. I'm in my final year and feel my degree is slipping away, but the more I dwell on it, the less work I get done and the further away I get from my goal. I guess there's nothing you can do about that past exam, if you do well on your next papers you can really push your average grade up.

I'm sure your parents won't think you're a failure especially if they know how depressed you are. Have you spoken to the university counsellor or nurse? They can let your tutors know what you're going through so you can get extra support.

Remember as tempting as it is to give up it isn't an option because at some point you will have to pick yourself up again and you'll be further behind when you do. Some days I can only manage to read a couple of pages, but anything is alway better than nothing. Do what you can. Also remember that we won't be uni students forever and I want to have some kind of good memories from them, however small. Really best of luck xxx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Everyone has their 'what's the point' moments. I have one everyday that I wake up. I'm in my final year and feel my degree is slipping away, but the more I dwell on it, the less work I get done and the further away I get from my goal. I guess there's nothing you can do about that past exam, if you do well on your next papers you can really push your average grade up.

I'm sure your parents won't think you're a failure especially if they know how depressed you are. Have you spoken to the university counsellor or nurse? They can let your tutors know what you're going through so you can get extra support.

Remember as tempting as it is to give up it isn't an option because at some point you will have to pick yourself up again and you'll be further behind when you do. Some days I can only manage to read a couple of pages, but anything is alway better than nothing. Do what you can. Also remember that we won't be uni students forever and I want to have some kind of good memories from them, however small. Really best of luck xxx.
    Thanks your time to reply back, you can say i was drowning my sorrows what i let down i have been to my parents. My parents don't know what i'm going through, (depression) but they do know it isn't easy and its hard work + cumulatives pressure. The pressure is coming from making my parents proud (currently there in a condition for some years, both of them), i also want to do well and as for the part of dwell. Thats what i thought, i revised, revised, revised, literally done something about it but there was so much to revise from and i didn't know which questions will appear on paper. Now the exam i've done was finished, i just can't believe how terrible of a performance i did after spending so much time and effort revising. I must be doing something wrong, i even got the easiest questions wrong, which is defintely unlike me. I feel like i'm suffering from some sort of memory loss.

No one knows about what i'm going through, i intend not to let them know but i do feel i want to see a counsellor but i feel like i will literally become emotional and well...crying makes my eyes looks i've been crying.

I don't know what to do, the next exam is the hardest exam of them all and that just makes my situation even more miserable as it is now.

ReputationRep:
    think about how ur parents are going to feel if they lost their child.. its not nice. think about how they're going to feel after u've gone. do you not love your parents? wouldnt u be devestated if your child took their own life?

its not nice. trust me

ReputationRep:
    One exam does not rule your life. You will not fail on one exam. You might, however, fail if you let this screw everything else up.

Does your uni do Hopeline? Maybe give them a ring :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for taking your time to reply,

(Original post by Pareesasa)
    think about how ur parents are going to feel if they lost their child.. its not nice. think about how they're going to feel after u've gone. do you not love your parents? wouldnt u be devestated if your child took their own life?

its not nice. trust me
    Yes, i agree but there is still some thoughts inside of me that still think i'm not worth living, i've cumulated all that depression by revising, working hard everyday and i didn't do well (for definite) on that exam. Crazy as it sounds, its much painless to end my life right now than to live in pain every year living life. True, it sounds like i am a coward, i probably am like what most of you are thinking, just thoughts like that, a coward shouldn't be worth living for. The world at the moment is so competitive, so much pressure is on me to do well, the more i try, which i have done, the more i get depressed on how terrible i done.

I know my parents will support me i feel somehow they will think i'm pathetic when i'm off the phone to them. I mean, i have no excuses, i did the best of my ability, yes i could have done better, i chocked on the exam literally, i got the easiest questions wrong, i don't know whats wrong with me. Problem is, parents wouldn't even know if i'm revising or not because i'm living away but really, there is no excuse to life and i agree. I do not intend to make excuses and its my fault for failing that exam and i cannot say anything to my parents because i believe they don't want to hear any excuses, such as how i'm feeling right now. I should not use this as an excuse nor should i let them know about this.

(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    One exam does not rule your life. You will not fail on one exam. You might, however, fail if you let this screw everything else up.

Does your uni do Hopeline? Maybe give them a ring :hugs:
    Since you put it that way, i suppose what you said is true in some ways but the career world for the degree i'm studying is an competitive road, i would only imagine 'if' i actually pass my degree, maybe 2:2? *HOPe not* my aim was to 1, or 2:1. I believe having a 2:2 on a certificate *thats if i actually pass this year*, when a person looks at it, they probably think i'm not worth interviewing for because i don't meet their requirements. I wish there was a solution to every answer but to be honest, there always another question needed to be answered. I'm trying to live my life negatively because i can't handle being disappointed.

Yes, they have a counselling, i was looking it up yesterday but i feel as to whether would this counselling be on my records? I don't not want people to know about my situation and i'm worried i will become emotional when i walk out of the room.

ReputationRep:
    You really need to look for professional help - depression is a disease and it can be cured! The fact that you didn't do well on this one exam will not ruin your future! You will have many more opportunities to do better. Go see a doctor and inform your university of the fact that you are not well and ask what they can do. A friend of mine had a depression during her first year of studies and was given the chance to resit all of her exams in the summer, but they didn't count as resits (if that makes sense). Just to show you that universities are very understanding and will help you out, I'm sure of it I hope you'll feel better soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Claudia_)
    You really need to look for professional help - depression is a disease and it can be cured! The fact that you didn't do well on this one exam will not ruin your future! You will have many more opportunities to do better. Go see a doctor and inform your university of the fact that you are not well and ask what they can do. A friend of mine had a depression during her first year of studies and was given the chance to resit all of her exams in the summer, but they didn't count as resits (if that makes sense). Just to show you that universities are very understanding and will help you out, I'm sure of it I hope you'll feel better soon.
    I'm currently living away, so see-ing a doctor will be no help as i'm still in exam period, at the moment studying the next exam. *sorry, just hit my head on the door, i feel knocked out at the moment*

Thats the problem, i don't want to be labelled as a 'depressed' and i dont want my friends and family to know. They do have PECS forms, but am i being dramatic? i mean everyone is stressed during exams, am i just being too dramatic? I feel PECS is just an excuse to have another chance. Yes, i would like that chance again but i never filled out a pecs before, i just try to move on and learn from it.

Yes i understand what your saying about (didn't count as resits), which sounds good but i think its too late for me to do this pecs thing. Making an appointment for doctors takes within 2 weeks. my next 2 exams i'm revising now are in 4 days and 5 days respectively.

My university site is down for several days now and still is due to technical difficulties. I'm just sitting all day in my room, revising, revising, revising. Thanks for taking your time to reply, appreciate your help and everyone else who has responded my call.

Have a fag, works wonders mate, especially if you roll your own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    Yes, they have a counselling, i was looking it up yesterday but i feel as to whether would this counselling be on my records? I don't not want people to know about my situation and i'm worried i will become emotional when i walk out of the room.
    Hypocrite time

Going to counselling is nothing to be ashamed of. There are far more people out there with mental health problems than you'd realise; go into a night club and I reckon if you did a quick straw poll of your peers *at least* 1 in 10 would put their hands up, if not more. Your records are confidential Besides, it's far better to go for counselling now and have it on your records when you're applying for a job than it is to not go and do some drastic and never reach your full potential.

ReputationRep:
    You're writing yourself off far too quickly. Maybe other people found the exam just as difficult but aren't talking about it. Also you say the next exam is the hardest but you don't know that till you see the paper. As for your degree classification - for many jobs you will have applied and hopefully been accepted before you even graduate so unless it's conditional on degree classification (which isn't usual in my experience) it's no big deal.
    But you're depressed so you can't think logically. Get some help. It's all confidential so go for it.

I hope the revision is going well.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I hope the revision is going well.
    ^^Sorry it cut me off! I was trying to say that it doesn't sound just like normal exam stress, so the sooner you get help, the more likely you receive support/be considered for exceptional circumstances.

Also this may sound silly but you could work on your exam technique, e.g. making sure you get enough sleep (I always do **** when I've had an all-nighter), making sure your not hungry or cold during the exam (really sounds dumb but being comfortable helps!). Be prepared so you're not in such a rush the morning before the exam. Good luck xxx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.