Turn on thread page Beta

What were you benching when...? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asheeers)
    What are your long-term goals? I'm aiming for a bench of 70kg by the end of summer 2010.
    Ideally i want to hit 100 its gonna be hard, but an achievable goal if i work at it i think

ReputationRep:
    1) 20kg @ 10 @ 21 (Giggidy)
    2) 50kg @ 10 @ 21
    3) 70kg @ 10 @ 21

I only started last september, got serious from november, but only bench once a week on average. On pulley weights, I'm chest pressing 105kg + so I estimate if I benched more reguarly I could do 110 @ 5. But I'll find that out when I have my session tonight........

ReputationRep:
    Been training for 7 years and the biggest tip I can give you is this: weight is unimportant, it's form that is the real issue. Every time I go to the gym I see some guy thinking he's training well as he wildly swings around weights far too heavy for him, and I think to myself 'poor guy's gonna hurt himself'. Don't worry about what others lift; worry about HOW you lift. Trust me, 3x10 of 30kg benched properly (i.e. slow reps, about 1-2 seconds to lower, pause and then 1-2 seconds to bring back to extension, ensuring that the bar is lowered enough to just touch your chest) will be FAR more effective that 5 rushed reps of 50+kg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spread_logic_not_hate)
    Been training for 7 years and the biggest tip I can give you is this: weight is unimportant, it's form that is the real issue. Every time I go to the gym I see some guy thinking he's training well as he wildly swings around weights far too heavy for him, and I think to myself 'poor guy's gonna hurt himself'. Don't worry about what others lift; worry about HOW you lift. Trust me, 3x10 of 30kg benched properly (i.e. slow reps, about 1-2 seconds to lower, pause and then 1-2 seconds to bring back to extension, ensuring that the bar is lowered enough to just touch your chest) will be FAR more effective that 5 rushed reps of 50+kg.
    yeah, i know that.

Not really, providing your still bringing it up and down to the same points and same amount of reps IMO **** form providing its not retarded or something like arching your back.

ReputationRep:
    1) 40-50kg x 5-8, 19
    2) 60kg x 5-8, 19
    3) 107.5kg x 1, 21.

(Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    1) 20kg @ 10 @ 21 (Giggidy)
    2) 50kg @ 10 @ 21
    3) 70kg @ 10 @ 21

I only started last september, got serious from november, but only bench once a week on average. On pulley weights, I'm chest pressing 105kg + so I estimate if I benched more reguarly I could do 110 @ 5. But I'll find that out when I have my session tonight........
    Just because you can machine bench 105 doesn't mean it will carry over to your bench, especially when its 70kg. You won't magically be able to bench 110 x 5 because of a machine, just keep barbell benching.

I'd much rather do 5 reps of 50kg then 3x10 of 30. Theres no need for 'slow, 2s up, pause, 2s down' reps, obviously if your swinging the weight around like an idiot then your lifting too much, but theres no reason to be benching 20kg lower than you can. This speed of benching is fine: http://www.youtube.com/user/joedefra...23/WTSsPux_ydM and its definitly faster than what you said. Aslong as your bringing the bar up and down straight. Rucklo is right.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.