The Student Room Group

WTF. Half brothers/sister

basically my parents got divorced years ago. my dad is a total prick, so i have never wanted anything to do with him, and have not seen him for around 10 years. i recently found out he got remarried and now i have 2 half-brothers and a half-sister... i mean, to me this is crazy. i sorta feel like i should have a relationship with my step family? we are related after all.. but i dont wanna see ma dad again tho. what would you lot do???

sorry i meant half* not step

Scroll to see replies

I know the feeling. I didn't realise until I was 14 as my dad has never really been part of my life, but I have two half sisters who are a little bit younger than me. It is a real shock to the system I think!
Are they half sister/brother or step?
Are they half- or step-siblings? They're half if they're your father's biological children, step if they're not. I wouldn't really say in either case that you're "obliged" to have a relationship with any of them though, it's your choice really :smile:. I probably wouldn't, but that's just me. Is there any way you can get in contact with them without seeing your Dad too?
Reply 3
Well do you want a relationship with them or is just that you feel you 'should'? Depending on their ages it would be hard to see them without your dad being around probably.
Reply 4
mollymustard
I know the feeling. I didn't realise until I was 14 as my dad has never really been part of my life, but I have two half sisters who are a little bit younger than me. It is a real shock to the system I think!
Are they half sister/brother or step?

yeah sorry i meant half lol. it is def a shock to the system! what did you do? did you get in touch with them? i mean it makes sense right?
Reply 5
same ese. got a half sister who is like ten years older than me
Same story i kinda lost contact with my real dad when i was about 11 ish, im now 19 almost 20 i knew my younger brothers and sisters and step brother and sister. we were all too young to really connect and now facebook has been invented myyounger half sister got in contact along with my younger half brother and step mum, and to be honest i really dont want anything to do with them. i know this sounds harsh but i just dont want that complication. When my half sister suggests meeting up i make excuses but i am friendly online so she doesnt know my true feelings, i just honestly dont want the confusion etc.

Its up to you what you do, if they want to see you then meet up see where it goes etc if it doesnt work out just keep in small contact through email or something.
Marvin211
yeah sorry i meant half lol. it is def a shock to the system! what did you do? did you get in touch with them? i mean it makes sense right?

I did yes. I wasn't in contact with my father at that point but I did get in touch at a later date. I still havn't met my sisters, but thats because they don't really want to meet me - they see me as the illigitimate child of him.
His wife is angry he ever got my mum pregnant. Not easy at all.
But I'm glad we are in touch as it makes me feel relieved that everything is out in the open. They did not know of my existance for 12 years.
Reply 8
secretmessages
Are they half- or step-siblings? They're half if they're your father's biological children, step if they're not. I wouldn't really say in either case that you're "obliged" to have a relationship with any of them though, it's your choice really :smile:. I probably wouldn't, but that's just me. Is there any way you can get in contact with them without seeing your Dad too?

yes i meant half. moment of confusion lol. i mean im happy with my life at the moment so i dont really wanna disturb how things are going by getting in contact with them.. but at the same time im curious! i'm guessing al have to see him.. i dont really know tbh
Reply 9
mollymustard
I did yes. I wasn't in contact with my father at that point but I did get in touch at a later date. I still havn't met my sisters, but thats because they don't really want to meet me - they see me as the illigitimate child of him.
His wife is angry he ever got my mum pregnant. Not easy at all.
But I'm glad we are in touch as it makes me feel relieved that everything is out in the open. They did not know of my existance for 12 years.

if you dont mind me saying, his wife seems a right cow!
hmm.. well atleast you get on okay with your dad now.
Reply 10
pinkflamingoes
Same story i kinda lost contact with my real dad when i was about 11 ish, im now 19 almost 20 i knew my younger brothers and sisters and step brother and sister. we were all too young to really connect and now facebook has been invented myyounger half sister got in contact along with my younger half brother and step mum, and to be honest i really dont want anything to do with them. i know this sounds harsh but i just dont want that complication. When my half sister suggests meeting up i make excuses but i am friendly online so she doesnt know my true feelings, i just honestly dont want the confusion etc.

Its up to you what you do, if they want to see you then meet up see where it goes etc if it doesnt work out just keep in small contact through email or something.

yeah i get ya.. as mentioned i like how my lifes going at the moment anyways, so why change it.. who needs all the hassle etc..
You have to find out who they are so you won't fall in love with them!
Reply 12
I have to half brothers, I sometimes count them as being my real brothers and sometimes I just say that I'm an only child.

but tbh, I'm much closer to my cousin that my half brothers...

Nonetheless, you should try to get to know them because you might learn to love them as your real bro and sis one day :/
well i know how you feel my rents split up like 2-3 years ago, the first year or so i lived with my muum (finshed high school) then moved back with my dad, btw i lived in malaysia with my mum, and she is still out there and i havent seen he since december 09 so just over a year ago and i have a serious bf here now and like i took him over to meet my family and all that and my mum had another partner and now she has another kid, im still close to her but cause she has a new family she has really pushed me out, and that but im gonna make sure i have a close relationship with my half sister and that way i have somebody to bitch about my mum too, smae like your dad (:
Reply 14
Wanischa
Nonetheless, you should try to get to know them because you might learn to love them as your real bro and sis one day :/

this really bugs me, they are his real brothers and sisters :\ i have a half sister and another on the way, but they're my sisters. i suppose it is easier if you know them from the beginning though :\.

OP- do what you think is going to make you happy. If you don't get in touch with them now- you could always do it at a later date, maybe then your dad wouldn't need to be involved?
Reply 15
_lauren
this really bugs me, they are his real brothers and sisters :\ i have a half sister and another on the way, but they're my sisters. i suppose it is easier if you know them from the beginning though :\.

OP- do what you think is going to make you happy. If you don't get in touch with them now- you could always do it at a later date, maybe then your dad wouldn't need to be involved?

tough for you.

They are "real" brothers and sisters but it not as "real" as having same parents.
I knew my brothers from the beginning but they are still only half.
Reply 16
LaughingBro
You have to find out who they are so you won't fall in love with them!

haha too much Emmerdale i think.
Marvin211
if you dont mind me saying, his wife seems a right cow!
hmm.. well atleast you get on okay with your dad now.

Yes, I think that myself sometimes especially as I know it is not my fault. Yes its good. The thing ive learnt from it all is in someways its easier to be civil with someone that ignore them, or pretend they don't exist.
I feel a lot less like I'm hiding things/have got skeletons in my closet
Reply 18
_lauren

hmm maybe in a few years time..theyl be old enough to decide for themselves what they want. n yeah by then im guessing i wont need to see him.
Reply 19
Marvin211
basically my parents got divorced years ago. my dad is a total prick, so i have never wanted anything to do with him, and have not seen him for around 10 years. i recently found out he got remarried and now i have 2 half-brothers and a half-sister... i mean, to me this is crazy. i sorta feel like i should have a relationship with my step family? we are related after all.. but i dont wanna see ma dad again tho. what would you lot do???

sorry i meant half* not step

I went through something similar

My mum and dad split up when I was 8.
I saw my 10 and 6 year old sisters for the first time about 2 months ago.

My sister still hates my dad and won't have anything to do with him or his new family. I decided to restart the relationship for the sake of my little sisters. <-- thats that I did in your situation.

Try being friendly to your dads GF, the woman that ruined most of mine and my full sisters childhood. I've never felt so two faced in all my life (that was just not yelling at her ect but biting my tongue instead, I'm not friendly towards her) I told myself it was to see m sisters. My sister would jump on her if she saw her.

Latest

Trending

Trending