Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    sup fellow medics/medic wannabees/whoever reads this.

yep I am in a pretty hyper mood for no reason what so ever, but here goes.

15th of January is looming over us, and I have no idea what to put for my 5th choice. I don't know if I want to do a full 3 year course in a top end uni or risk a course which allows transferring after the first year into second year of medicine.

but then again, I don't think I have the will to do a 3 year course followed by another 4 years after having taken a gap year!!!! ypu get what I'm saying?? It would be waaaay too long for getting a MBBS after the name. so another option is applying for a completely different course. Maybe a science degree?? maybe engineering (I did maths and Physics) and maybe a computing related degree (I haven't done it at A-levels but am really capable in it) maybe go into economics or law (you dont need it at alevels)

I really don't know.

any ideas or thoughts??

ReputationRep:
    do you already have your alevels or are the grades in your sig perdicted?

ReputationRep:
    Its entirely up to you, if you dont see the possible three years as purelly a route into medicine then you need to consider what other careers you are interested in and then chose an appropriate degree.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I would make my fifth choice another medical school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P_Ben21)
    arghhhhhhhh just just just get out of here.......sorry couldnt help it. Anyway you are only allowed to use 4 of your 5 choice for medical schools

ReputationRep:
    You've got the grades. Just keep trying until you get in if it's worth that much to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    do you already have your alevels or are the grades in your sig perdicted?
    Nope

i have them!

(Original post by brokenangel)
    Its entirely up to you, if you dont see the possible three years as purelly a route into medicine then you need to consider what other careers you are interested in and then chose an appropriate degree.

Best of luck

See, it would be worth it, if after my 3 years I am guaranteed a place somewhere. But unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

See, I have the grades for other careers, I've just been set on medicine for such a long time I never really thought about other careers, and I doubt that 2/3 days of thinking that issue over will be the best decision, if u get what i mean
    (Original post by P_Ben21)
    cant do that! only allowed 4 options!
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    You've got the grades. Just keep trying until you get in if it's worth that much to you.
    and take another gap year, and re-do the UKCAT test and be up against people who achieved A* not sure that'll work in my way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snoodle)
    See, it would be worth it, if after my 3 years I am guaranteed a place somewhere. But unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

See, I have the grades for other careers, I've just been set on medicine for such a long time I never really thought about other careers, and I doubt that 2/3 days of thinking that issue over will be the best decision, iway!
    oh trust me I know what you mean, it reaally has to be a thouht about choice on your part! Personnally if I was to start again I'd go for the likes of Bradford clinical sciences etc or go for a degree totally not related to medicine! I've gone down the biomed route and if I ever end up working as a biomed I'd rather die! Also with the other degree you mentioned thier are some GEM courses which would accept you so if the worest comes to the worest and you do do another degree medicine isn't totally out of the window

ReputationRep:
    oh trust me I know what you mean, it reaally has to be a thouht about choice on your part! Personnally if I was to start again I'd go for the likes of Bradford clinical sciences etc or go for a degree totally not related to medicine! I've gone down the biomed route and if I ever end up working as a biomed I'd rather die! Also with the other degree you mentioned thier are some GEM courses which would accept you so if the worest comes to the worest and you do do another degree medicine isn't totally out of the window
    yay, someone else that knows how I feel, hi5 to that!

see i was thinking of bradford earlier today, and clinical science, what the hell do you end up doing after??? I have no idea on what you end up doing I just know its a medicine related course. lol

out of curiosity, this may sound stuipid, but, what do you work as with a biomed degree if ur not transferring to medicine???

ReputationRep:
    do a degree that you will enjoy. even if it is in history of maths or something none science if you get a 2:1 or above (which is so much easier on a degree you enjoy) then you can apply to GEM.

with a biomed degree you can go into: teaching (primary or seconary schools), go on to do another degree (not just medicine), research, cosmetics, nutrition, management of a company (not just in science), pharmasuticals, food industry, cosmetic industry, forensics.... load oof stuff really.

the clinical sciences course at bradford is intended for those who what to go on to study medicine and with good grades (while on the course) you can transfer to leeds medical school. but clin sci at bradford is just as hard to get into as medicine so is it really a safe 5th choice?

ReputationRep:
    Don't put anything, than then if all else fails do another year of applications (assuming you don't screw up your exams big style).

ReputationRep:
    out of curiosity, this may sound stuipid, but, what do you work as with a biomed degree if ur not transferring to medicine???
    You basically work in a factory(hospital lab) processing results, the samples to be tested come down from the lab and are sorted according to the machine they are to be processed on ie bloods to hematology, byopsie to cytology, wound swabs to microbiology etc. Which ever station you are working you only get the samples you need to test you then put all the samples in the machine it does the hard work and you have to check the results for errors etc. Be warned its very much a production line and most of the tests are automated now anyway so dont think youll be doing the tests by hand you wont their simply isnt the time with the amount of results the labs handle.

You can also go into the likes of research, lecturing etc or just use it as a degree for totally unrelated careers.

Personnally im applying for medicine 2011 entry and 2012 entry if i dont get in this time round, after that ill try and persue paramedic sciences or something along those lines. Thats how much i hate the lab side of biomed

ReputationRep:
    sup fellow medics/medic wannabees/whoever reads this.

yep I am in a pretty hyper mood for no reason what so ever, but here goes.

15th of January is looming over us, and I have no idea what to put for my 5th choice. I don't know if I want to do a full 3 year course in a top end uni or risk a course which allows transferring after the first year into second year of medicine.

but then again, I don't think I have the will to do a 3 year course followed by another 4 years after having taken a gap year!!!! ypu get what I'm saying?? It would be waaaay too long for getting a MBBS after the name. so another option is applying for a completely different course. Maybe a science degree?? maybe engineering (I did maths and Physics) and maybe a computing related degree (I haven't done it at A-levels but am really capable in it) maybe go into economics or law (you dont need it at alevels)

I really don't know.

any ideas or thoughts??
    my advice would be to go to a top end uni and do a proper degree, dont risk a transfer course.. - if you still want to do med after you get said degree then you have a few extra strings in your bow and I believe its a good thing to do, I actually think all medicine should be graduate entry.. I would say consider a chemistry degree of some sort.. It is a very undersubsribed subject so that you can get a place at eg Warwck, york, st andrews with a medicine P.S.

ReputationRep:
    the clinical sciences course at bradford is intended for those who what to go on to study medicine and with good grades (while on the course) you can transfer to leeds medical school. but clin sci at bradford is just as hard to get into as medicine so is it really a safe 5th choice?
    Is it unsafe?? I mean, I know of a girl that got in there through clearance, and it's a BBB course, isn't it?? I have AAAB and a decent-ish PS.

(Original post by terpineol)
    Don't put anything, than then if all else fails do another year of applications (assuming you don't screw up your exams big style).
    I am a gappy and have got my grades already

You basically work in a factory(hospital lab) processing results, the samples to be tested come down from the lab and are sorted according to the machine they are to be processed on ie bloods to hematology, byopsie to cytology, wound swabs to microbiology etc. Which ever station you are working you only get the samples you need to test you then put all the samples in the machine it does the hard work and you have to check the results for errors etc. Be warned its very much a production line and most of the tests are automated now anyway so dont think youll be doing the tests by hand you wont their simply isnt the time with the amount of results the labs handle.

You can also go into the likes of research, lecturing etc or just use it as a degree for totally unrelated careers.

Personnally im applying for medicine 2011 entry and 2012 entry if i dont get in this time round, after that ill try and persue paramedic sciences or something along those lines. Thats how much i hate the lab side of biomed
    So career wise, it seems pretty automated and dull. I don't like the sound of that. but thanks for the insight though

(Original post by Sambo2)
    my advice would be to go to a top end uni and do a proper degree, dont risk a transfer course.. - if you still want to do med after you get said degree then you have a few extra strings in your bow and I believe its a good thing to do, I actually think all medicine should be graduate entry.. I would say consider a chemistry degree of some sort.. It is a very undersubsribed subject so that you can get a place at eg Warwck, york, st andrews with a medicine P.S.
    dude, thanks for that advice. So the likes of Warwick/York/St. Andrews would accept me into a chemistry course with a medical PS?

what if I applied to somewhere like UCL/imperial?

ReputationRep:
    i personally think it is unsafe because they have on average more applicant than the other things like biomed because of the transfer to med option. also as long as you have BBB or above, you will be treat the same as any other applicant.
    it also says this on their site
    Students who are predicted A,A,B in their GCE A levels, and who wish to study medicine, should apply directly to Leeds Medical School (or other medical schools of their choice).
    this suggests that your grades would be against you and only applicant with grades between BBB and ABB are considered.

im not saying it is impossible just not as safe as say applying to another science course. i think your friend was very very lucky.

ReputationRep:
    So career wise, it seems pretty automated and dull. I don't like the sound of that. but thanks for the insight though
    Yup it is i went into it thinking hmm lab based science with a medical outlook could be ok now that ive done a few lab placements it would more than likely be more interesting to make cars all day.

Ill post back some other ideas for careers with it tho as im at a careers fair/lecture in London tomorrow :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Is it unsafe?? I mean, I know of a girl that got in there through clearance, and it's a BBB course, isn't it?? I have AAAB and a decent-ish PS.

I am a gappy and have got my grades already

dude, thanks for that advice. So the likes of Warwick/York/St. Andrews would accept me into a chemistry course with a medical PS?

what if I applied to somewhere like UCL/imperial?
    no idea about imperial/UCL although I would think it would be similar, but I have personal experience of Warwick who basically give chemistry offers to anyone with the right grades despite being ranked 7th.. this is becuase they are desperate to fill their places, apparently nobody wants to do chemistry at the moment across the board.

ReputationRep:
    i personally think it is unsafe because they have on average more applicant than the other things like biomed because of the transfer to med option. also as long as you have BBB or above, you will be treat the same as any other applicant.
    it also says this on their site

this suggests that your grades would be against you and only applicant with grades between BBB and ABB are considered.

im not saying it is impossible just not as safe as say applying to another science course. i think your friend was very very lucky.
    ooh these are really good points which I haven't thought of

but the thing thats attracting me is the ability to transfer to medicine after year 1!!!

I dunno, I'm torn between either going against what you say (though I have a gut feeling that you're right) or apply for something else and just do a 3 year degree.

Yup it is i went into it thinking hmm lab based science with a medical outlook could be ok now that ive done a few lab placements it would more than likely be more interesting to make cars all day.

Ill post back some other ideas for careers with it tho as im at a careers fair/lecture in London tomorrow :woo:

ooh is it really THAT bad??

and okies cool. really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    no idea about imperial/UCL although I would think it would be similar, but I have personal experience of Warwick who basically give chemistry offers to anyone with the right grades despite being ranked 7th.. this is becuase they are desperate to fill their places, apparently nobody wants to do chemistry at the moment across the board.
    aaah ok i see!!!

but isn't chemistry hard at degree level?? I mean I don't know if I'll be able to cope with it. lol

ReputationRep:
    like i said it is not impossible. it is not a bad idea just needs alot of though. i have though about clinical sci at bradford alot and i know personally i would apply but would not use it as a backup.

hope you work something out soon. ucas deadline has been postponed so you got a bit more time

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.