Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of Oxford Brookes university? Apparently, its ranking is not as high as UCL or Cambridge. But it is as good as Sheffield isn't it? Is the university good for Architecture? Does ranking really matters? (for me it doesn't but the problem is some actually cares. Some of my friends were like "Oxford Brookes isn't even oxford so you can get into it easily". And some of my friends' parents would be like "oh Oxford Brookes.. it's not one of the top 10 unis in the UK" .i think they say that because their sons and daughters applied to Cambridge and Imperial so yeah... ) I know I shouldn't care bout them saying things like that but it makes me have second thoughts about applying to that university and makes me feel like I've made a wrong decision.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford Brookes is a good school of architecture and is a well respected degree.

Rankings are mostly meaningless.

The school is not in the centre of oxford but I don't think its totally inaccessible nor is it a big problem.

Its the overall quality of the particular school of architecture you should be looking at, not the ranking of the university itself.

Last minute anxieties are normal, but its the people within the profession that you want to think about as thats ultimately who is going to be looking at your CV. Chill out yeah?

ReputationRep:
    I was also thinking of Brookes, if only because Oxford itself doesn't do architecture, and I don't do art! (maths, physics, history of art, product design) so it seems UCL is out of bounds. (haven't checked the requirements for Brookes though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christhebull)
    I was also thinking of Brookes, if only because Oxford itself doesn't do architecture, and I don't do art! (maths, physics, history of art, product design) so it seems UCL is out of bounds. (haven't checked the requirements for Brookes though)
    brookes has quite low requirements. . ABB or sth so it's reasonable. x))

ReputationRep:
    ABB is low?

ReputationRep:
    yes.

lol, well...
    compared to other schools.

ReputationRep:
    Actually they now want AAB, UCL want ABB (although i'm guessing that OB doesn't get quite the amount of applicants as UCL). Hmmmm
    Oxford Brookes has a really highly rated Architecture department and actually is ranked in the top 10 in the Architects journal. So don't worry- one last thing it's got a really great employment rate (which rhymes HA)

ReputationRep:
    i don't think any school of architecture has a great employment rate for its students at the moment, unless you are including employment as barmen, in m&s, part time postmen.

ReputationRep:
    ABB in relevant subjects is hard!

ie, Art, Maths & Physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)
    ABB in relevant subjects is hard!
    ie, Art, Maths & Physics
    No. No it's not.

Well...
    You could say that it depends on the candidate.

(Original post by jrhartley)
    i don't think any school of architecture has a great employment rate for its students at the moment, unless you are including employment as barmen, in m&s, part time postmen.
    Funny, but oh so true. Depressing. Lucky I'm only in my first year. Maybe the market will pick up. Maybe. My fingers are crossed - always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dschna)
    No. No it's not.

Well...
    You could say that it depends on the candidate.

Funny, but oh so true. Depressing. Lucky I'm only in my first year. Maybe the market will pick up. Maybe. My fingers are crossed - always.
    i don't want to sound big headed but when i've looked at other school's A grade as level art work and similarly people's on this site i've felt my work is confidently leauges above theirs yet i still can't scrape that a in art, i got 79% at AS where 80 was an A... i'm going to struggle making an ABB offer if i perfom well at ucl's interview and they decide to give me one. maybe i'm not approaching art as a subject as academically as i should?

plus an a in Maths is hard.. admittedly as isn't TOO hard if you're naturally able but still i think it's a good representation of one's aptitude to learn - and studying a2 at the moment i'm having alot of problems compared to last year, if i make an a i'll certainly be very proud of myself..

i also study english and can see why it could be seen as an easy a however like art, i can't seem to manage an a... i'm pretty mediocre overall...

my tutor told me my current art module's a high a thankfully so pending my next module's just as good i'll fingers crossed come out with an a

ReputationRep:
    i don't want to sound big headed but when i've looked at other school's as level art work and similarly people's on this site i've felt my work is confidently leauges above theirs yet i still can't scrape that a in art, i got 79% at AS where 80 was an A... i'm going to struggle making an ABB offer if i perfom well at ucl's interview and they decide to give me one.

plus an a in Maths is hard.. admittedly as isn't TOO hard if you're naturally able but still i think it's a good representation of one's aptitude to learn - and studying a2 at the moment i'm having alot of problems compared to last year, if i make an a i'll certainly be very proud of myself..

i also study english and can see why it could be seen as an easy a however like art, i can't seem to manage an a... i'm pretty mediocre overall...

my tutor told me my current art module's a high a thankfully so pending my next module's just as good i'll fingers crossed come out with an a
    A level art can just be 'jumping through hoops'. I know people at other schools who were handed the mark schemes and told to self-mark their own work, subsequently knowing what the moderators and final markers were looking for after submission. They came out with 100%. I managed 584/600 without the mark scheme and little guidance from teachers. I guess it was luck as to what I included.

An A in Maths isn't as hard as you may think. I was never a natural at Maths and displayed this through poor exam results from year seven upwards. I was never able to grasp new concepts in GCSE and A level and consistently obtained very low, and below average marks in exercises and papers up until, say, a month before the exams. It was this month before each exam that really mattered. I focused myself, sought extra tuition from my tutors and finally managed to pull an A out of the hat. Admittedly not a high A, but an A is an A. I think I came out with 511/600 over all.

I took Geography over other subjects and too found that I under-performed throughout the year (probably owing to the fact that every lesson was first thing in the morning or the last lesson of the day so I was either asleep or not concentrating). This meant hardcore revision in the weeks running up to the exams but managed, somehow, to learn about eight times the amount required and pulled another A out of the hat. A retake in one module meant I lost roughly 40 marks over the whole A level.

For those reasons, I am proud. Let's not forget where they got me.

ReputationRep:
    i'm just a failure, i'm going to try your ways

ReputationRep:
    i'm just a failure, i'm going to try your ways
    I'm sure you're not. I was told that if I didn't 'pull my finger out' then I wouldn't achieve my grades (Maths and Geography) and subsequently wouldn't end up where I ultimately wanted to be.

I think it helped that my girlfriend also had exams so putting in the time didn't seem so daunting. Set yourself goals. Achieve them. Rest. Enjoy yourself. Then, go back to work. It probably helped that my mum exercised a curfew, not that I stuck to it entirely...

ReputationRep:
    its a semi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchiBoi)
    its a semi
    what is?

ReputationRep:
    Good or Bad for Architecture? It's a semi - It's semi-decent, it's not the best school in the country, but its far from the worst...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchiBoi)
    Good or Bad for Architecture? It's a semi - It's semi-decent, it's not the best school in the country, but its far from the worst...
    Oh I get you know. Personally I didn't apply there last year.

ReputationRep:
    well I am a first year there and think that so far it is awesome! Sorry if I am bias but we have had some pretty exciting projects and I've really enjoyed it so I'll say GOOD.

ReputationRep:
    I was speaking coldly, based on no experience of the school what so ever. Merely on percieved judgement from league tables/presidents medals/word on the street.
    There is a problem with the yay old "university" arguement is that we only ever experience one or two universities so it's difficult to call judgement on which one you would "enjoy" the most.

So we are therefore forced to look at 'rankings' to justify our 'reviews' which are meaningless in themselves... Ultimately this thread can only come to down to the opinions of the posts (however knowledgable) and therefore some opinions will hold more weight (written by people attending the universities) and some opionions (as my own) just come from experience/word on the street/AJ opinion polls/Times architecture rankings/Presidents Medals...

As we say time and time again.. best thing to do when choosing a school is to visit as many as you can and choose it based partially on 'gut' instinct and the work the school produce, along with your own research interests.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.