Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to ask a couple of questions really! Although this might not be the right forum, but I'm sure a mod'll move it if it isn't.

Right, so. I'm 22, female, 5.5' and overweight by about 5/6 stone. A lot of factors have caused it, so please don't judge me. However, I cannot hide behind medical issues and I'm facing up to this fact now and I want to shift it. I'm unemployed, and cannot afford to join the gym, but I've worked it out and I can just about afford to go swimming twice a week and dancing at least once a week with the money that I live on. Walking, obviously, is free and I'm going to combine it with dieting too.

I've used the SlimFast diet before, and it worked in the short term, which is what I was after. But now I'm more educated and I want to do this properly. I was going to use the SlimFast calorie intake for meals, although I wont actually be using the milkshakes and the mealbars because they're not satisfying at all. Plus I love to cook and make food so it's not really satisfying my brain either when I just eat the meal bars. So calorie intake for meals will be:

Breakfast: 250-300 cals, probably cereal with semi-skimmed milk and a teaspoon of sugar.

Lunch: 300-350 cals, not entirely sure what I'll be having, I like variety. Probably sandwiches or something of that sort.

Dinner: 600-700 cals, lean meat and veggies. Chicken or mince usually, so as long as I dry-fry the mince first then I'm not getting any extra fat from oil etc. and I can get rid of some of the fat that's already in it. I have a George Forman grill for chicken, so I shan't be frying that either.

Snacking or a dessert after dinner: 100-250 cals.

That'll make my daily cal intake from 1250-1500 cals. Also I was going to start swimming twice a week and generally go walking for a couple of hours each day. I've been reading the forums for advice before I posted this, and HIIT seems to be the favourite at the moment, so I'll try that with swimming.

So, basically after a long rambling post, what do you think of the diet, do you think it's a good foundation to start on and will it keep the weight off in the long term? Any advice will be appreciated, but any derogatory comments will just be ignored. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    sounds good but drop the sugar from the breakfast and have skimmed milk, what cereal with you be having? (please dont say crap like special K)

things like porridge and boiled egg will be good for breakfast

also if you can do weights, thats the best when it comes to losing weight, tabata is good too but a word of warning you will pass out after doing it lol

ReputationRep:
    I was going for corn flakes, hence the weeny bit of sugar to stop them tasting like cardboard. I do have some porridge, but I get very easily bored of it, hence why I'm on the cornflakes. That'll probably change soon enough, although I'd still have to have some kind of flavouring in the porridge, either sugar or get the golden syrup packs (which I think I've got some of anyway) because its far too bland on it's own.
    What on earth is tabata? I was going to cheat and use baked beans as weights to try and get rid of the bingo wings :p:

Also, off topic but its my thread anyway :p: Kudos on the other thread from jimbo, or whatever he's called. I actually read through the whole thing :facepalm:

[EDIT] Hmm, might give tabata a miss until I get a little bit fitter, looks like that's a good un for the asthma to kick in on :p: Gonna have to go steady on the HIIT as well.

ReputationRep:
    Breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day.

Flavoured porridge is full of sugar. Use natural flavourings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)

Flavoured porridge is full of sugar. Use natural flavourings.
    Any suggestions? Please don't say fruit, I can't abide it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magickal_Faerie)
    Any suggestions? Please don't say fruit, I can't abide it
    ANY fruit? Nuts, seeds, milled seeds, oils I guess, peanut butter, cinnamon, ginger, I guess there are low calorie jams and stuff out there that might be alright, whey protein...

ReputationRep:
    ANY fruit? Nuts, seeds, milled seeds, oils I guess, peanut butter, cinnamon, ginger, I guess there are low calorie jams and stuff out there that might be alright, whey protein...
    I know its odd, and definately not normal, but I can't abide the texture of fruit I've tried almost as many fruits as Tesco/Sainsbury's/Asda/Waitrose/Morrisons has to offer, but I can't bring myself to eat it. Trust me, one of my housemates took it up as her personal project about a year ago and gave up when I started retching.

Whey protein!? Thanks but no, not sure I need the extra protein Might go for the cinnamon though, never thought of that

Thanks, by the way.

Just wanted to ask a couple of questions...
    Good start! It's always good to have a plan.

Drop the sugar from your cereal! You realise it's the excess carbohydrate that gets changed into fat in you body? So definitely watch your sugar content.

You don't need to go to the gym and, as you said walking is free, so get your ipod on and walk, walk, walk! You need to do constant exercise every day (doesn't have to be much!) to raise your bodies metabolism level. There's no point in just watching your calorie intake if this part of your plan isn't being fulfilled.

Okay, a little exaggerated but I know what you're getting at.

And, I would say above all, eat home cooked food - don't eat junk food!

Try and replace your compulsion for eating with a compulsion for exercise.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortysixandtwo)

Drop the sugar from your cereal! You realise it's the excess carbohydrate that gets changed into fat in you body? So definitely watch your sugar content.

You don't need to go to the gym and, as you said walking is free, so get your ipod on and walk, walk, walk! You need to do constant exercise every day (doesn't have to be much!) to raise your bodies metabolism level. There's no point in just watching your calorie intake if this part of your plan isn't being fulfilled.

Okay, a little exaggerated but I know what you're getting at.

Good luck!
    What's a little exaggerated?

ReputationRep:

Cardboard cereal it is then!

Yep, plus I live in a particularly hilly area, so I reckon a good couple of hours walking up and down hills would be quite beneficial! My housemate is also trying to lose weight so I could probably get her to come too :yes:

Good luck!
    Thanks, I buy and cook my own food anyway (part of the perks of being a big growed-up ) I'm not all that particularly keen on junk food really, crisps and burgers and the like don't really look all that appetising, unless they're home cooked :p:

Any suggestions for evening times, around 9pm? It's when I get most restless and bored with just watching the tv, but not really appropriate to go for a walk either. Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Any suggestions for evening times, around 9pm? It's when I get most restless and bored with just watching the tv, but not really appropriate to go for a walk either. Thanks for your help

do some exercise at home, get one of those cheap gym balls and look on you tube for work outs

do things like press ups, dips etc

oh and re the baked beans as weights thing, you may aswell not bother, using something that light wont do ****, you should be lifting heavy for low reps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    oh and re the baked beans as weights thing, you may aswell not bother, using something that light wont do ****, you should be lifting heavy for low reps
    Hmmmm. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.