Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Me and my friend are planning on getting a house together in June this year. We are doing nursing courses which are very demanding and we need long term lets, which student houses don't offer. We also don't want to live in a shabby, run down house, which all of the ones we have seen are. Our campus is not the main campus either, so there are no houses around where we actually need to be. My question is, do we HAVE to get a student house? 'Normal' estate agents don't cater for students, but we can't live in a student house because of the letting times... we are not professionals...but we are hardly students either! Any one have any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    You may be able to get a long term let in a normal house but I don't know how council tax will apply as it isn't a student let. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

ReputationRep:
    no you don't have to get a student house, but rent on a normal house would be alot higher, let alone all the other costs you could encounter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighthesim)
    no you don't have to get a student house, but rent on a normal house would be alot higher, let alone all the other costs you could encounter!
    The rent is actually cheaper as the houses we are looking at are near our campus, not the main uni. And from various websites and pictures of houses I have seen, the properties look much nicer (Don't judge on a photo though!) I just don't want to be in a situation come June, that all the student houses have gone, and because we are not the 'professionals' that estate agents look for, we find we can't actually get a house.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine that 'normal' landlords and letting agencies might be a bit wary about renting to students. In our house, we each had to get sponsors who said, basically, that if we defaulted on our rent payment they would pay it for us. I'm not sure if normal rents do this as a matter of course. My housemate is a nursing student though, and you can sort out longer term lets. Lots of universities do summer accommodation in halls, as well.

You shouldn't have to pay council tax though, since wherever you live, you're still students. I'm not 100% sure, though.

This is basically all conjecture though, you should speak to an estate agent.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Best thing to do is to speak to the letting agents and see what they'd do for someone in an unwaged (i.e. unemployed) position. What's normal is that you'd need a guarantor - someone who could vouch for you and who would be required to pay your rent should you not be able to do so yourself. This can sometimes be required for people getting student houses anyway, so no difference there really.

Or failing a letting agent (which may have high costs) why not look online/in local papers at the classifieds sections? You'll likely find a suitable house through that route too. They may even be less bothered that your a student (though may still require references or guarantors).

ReputationRep:
    Re: Council Tax - if 100% of the residents in the house are students, you will be exempt from council tax. However, it is on you to apply for exemption.

ReputationRep:
    I don't live in a student house. The landlord and estate agent were initially a bit nervy about having a student renting from them, as they don't normally, but once I'd had a credit check and my dad signed up as a guarantor (after he too had had a credit check), all was fine.

I found my house on rightmove.com, I believe.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Not all estate agents will mind you being a student, although you will need a guarantor and references. If you have evidence of your income they may be more inclined to rent to you as well.
    As long as you are students you won't pay Council Tax, you will need to get a letter from your uni to give to the council for evidence.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    Not all estate agents will mind you being a student, although you will need a guarantor and references. If you have evidence of your income they may be more inclined to rent to you as well.
    As long as you are students you won't pay Council Tax, you will need to get a letter from your uni to give to the council for evidence.
    I know that you can get letters from the uni for this and that you can be asked for them. But out of interest, do you always get asked for the letters to prove your council tax status?

I recall at least once having to somehow find the letters for all the guys living in my house, but I cannot recall if you always have to do this. Is it a requirement to get the full 100% discount on the council tax or is it only if the council doubts it/wants to check and comes to you to ask for proof?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RK)
    I know that you can get letters from the uni for this and that you can be asked for them. But out of interest, do you always get asked for the letters to prove your council tax status?

I recall at least once having to somehow find the letters for all the guys living in my house, but I cannot recall if you always have to do this. Is it a requirement to get the full 100% discount on the council tax or is it only if the council doubts it/wants to check and comes to you to ask for proof?
    Yes, you always need them. The council will only change your account to student occupied with proof from all tenants.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If your a postgrad (sorry I don't know what nursing comes under) you'll be fine, just let them know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charliechildnurse)
    Me and my friend are planning on getting a house together in June this year. We are doing nursing courses which are very demanding and we need long term lets, which student houses don't offer. We also don't want to live in a shabby, run down house, which all of the ones we have seen are. Our campus is not the main campus either, so there are no houses around where we actually need to be. My question is, do we HAVE to get a student house? 'Normal' estate agents don't cater for students, but we can't live in a student house because of the letting times... we are not professionals...but we are hardly students either! Any one have any ideas?
    Erm..so what are you guys? In the middle of professional and students? If i heard someone is on a course, whether its at university or not, i could still class them as a student. Students are to be exempt from council tax, so student houses, you and your friend would benefit from this, if i'm correct. Check with your local council on where your living on this.

[EDITED] I'm wrong, person below is right
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by 2Av)
    Erm..so what are you guys? In the middle of professional and students? If i heard someone is on a course, whether its at university or not, i could still class them as a student. Students are to be exempt from council tax, so student houses, you and your friend would benefit from this, if i'm correct. Check with your local council on where your living on this.
    You can get council tax exemption on ANY house that is occupied solely by students, you don't need a "student" house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestie)
    You can get council tax exemption on ANY house that is occupied solely by students, you don't need a "student" house.
    yeah, sorry, thats what i suppose to say. thanks :o:

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.