Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who travel a lot on airliners: READ THIS! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I had booked flights to go abroad for like, 15 days right at the end of March until 14th April. However, a day after I booked them, I got offered a full time job where I now work. I am going to obviously request some holiday time off, but my contract doesn't allow more than two weeks unless exceptional circumstances, plus because it is a retail job, they obviously won't like people taking that much time off.

Ideally, I want to change my return flight to at least 4 days earlier, so I am only away for 10 days.

With over two months until I go, is this do-able?

It makes it worse that the tax year (when new holiday leave starts) begins April 1st...

What am I going to do?

I booked my flights online with a retailer, not directly with the airline, if this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ernesto)
    Hi! I had booked flights to go abroad for like, 15 days right at the end of March until 14th April. However, a day after I booked them, I got offered a full time job where I now work. I am going to obviously request some holiday time off, but my contract doesn't allow more than two weeks unless exceptional circumstances, plus because it is a retail job, they obviously won't like people taking that much time off.

Ideally, I want to change my return flight to at least 4 days earlier, so I am only away for 10 days.

With over two months until I go, is this do-able?

It makes it worse that the tax year (when new holiday leave starts) begins April 1st...

What am I going to do?

I booked my flights online with a retailer, not directly with the airline, if this helps.
    Without more details, I don't think that we can give you a definitive answer, as the policy is likely to vary depending on who you book/fly with. Your best bet is probably just to give them a call (or if necessary, send an email) and ask them directly.

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on the company and the actual details of your trip. eg. is it a package holiday or just a flight to somewhere and back.
    Most airlines allow you to change flight tickets to another day/time for a fee (think it's in the region of £50 for most). I'm not sure how it would work with the company you bought them from. If it is a company that just sells on indiviual tickets they may not allow you to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxPP)
    It would depend on the company and the actual details of your trip. eg. is it a package holiday or just a flight to somewhere and back.
    Most airlines allow you to change flight tickets to another day/time for a fee (think it's in the region of £50 for most). I'm not sure how it would work with the company you bought them from. If it is a company that just sells on indiviual tickets they may not allow you to do that.
    It is just a flight, sold by Opodo.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    It is just a flight, sold by Opodo.co.uk
    Clicky.
    Question
    Can I change details of my booking after confirmation?

Answer
    If you've made a mistake completing your booking, you want to change some details or notice a discrepancy on your confirmation email, you can contact us by calling 0871 277 0090 (calls to this number are charged at 10 pence per minute from a BT landline. Calls from mobiles or other networks may vary). Our call centre opening hours are included below.

If you are trying to contact us outside of office hours, please use the "email us" tab above and send us the details of your booking and the nature of the changes you'd like to make.

We'll check the fare rules and Terms & Conditions connected with your booking and get back to you.

To call us from outside the UK, please call: +44 121 281 3360 (International call rates may apply)

Sales Centre opening hours
    Monday - Friday: 9am to 6pm
    Saturday - Sunday: 9am to 2pm
    Bank holidays: 9am to 2pm
    What operator is your flight with, and what type of ticket? The more information you give us, the more likely we are to be able to help.

Or you could just call them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Clicky.

What operator is your flight with, and what type of ticket? The more information you give us, the more likely we are to be able to help.

Or you could just call them.
    Thank you Illusionary that is very kind of you

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... if it's like the cut price fares that STA do, then they're not amendable. Not sure how Opodo work though...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Illusionary that is very kind of you. It is with JET Airways on an E-ticket, return.
    It's not conclusive, but this (clicky) is encouraging, at least:
    Ticketing/Fares and Time Limit
    Unless otherwise specified, the period of validity of domestic and international tickets issued at normal one way, round or circle trip fares shall be one year from date of commencement of travel, or if the first flight coupon is open dated and or/unused, from the date of issue thereof. You can change your travel itinerary after you have purchased your ticket through our offices or through an authorized travel agent. In case you do, please get your ticket appropriately stickered or revalidated at any of our offices, airport ticket counters, or by an authorized travel agency. Please do note the following with regard to the cancellation, and revalidation of tickets, purchased under Normal fares.

For international sectors:
    Tickets for international travel are subject to cancellation charges These are specific for a particular sector. Related details are available at our offices, airport ticket counters, on our website whilst booking online and from our authorised travel agents.
    Call them. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Agree with Illusionary ^

I had to change my flight with Jet Airways, having booked through ebookers.com, literally 2 weeks before I was meant to fly, and they didn't charge me anything - although that may have been due to the type of ticket I had. But hopefully you'll get something similar! Also, not sure about the revalidation/stickering thing.. they just sent me a new e-ticket which I printed out and took to the airport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    Hmm... if it's like the cut price fares that STA do, then they're not amendable. Not sure how Opodo work though...
    Really? I got a (comparatively)cheap STA flight and its only £35 to change the date - far cheaper than the normal fees you would pay (in the region of £100 for the airline I'm with I think). That did backfire with BA though because at the time (not sure if they still do) they didn't charge a fee to change the date, but I had to go via STA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Really? I got a (comparatively)cheap STA flight and its only £35 to change the date - far cheaper than the normal fees you would pay (in the region of £100 for the airline I'm with I think). That did backfire with BA though because at the time (not sure if they still do) they didn't charge a fee to change the date, but I had to go via STA.
    Ahh.. might depend on the airline or something. I've got a Finnair flight, but apparently because it's some sort of special discounted fare, it can't be amended. Depends on the airline I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duracell)
    Agree with Illusionary ^

I had to change my flight with Jet Airways, having booked through ebookers.com, literally 2 weeks before I was meant to fly, and they didn't charge me anything - although that may have been due to the type of ticket I had. But hopefully you'll get something similar! Also, not sure about the revalidation/stickering thing.. they just sent me a new e-ticket which I printed out and took to the airport.
    Hmm I got charged £150 in the end to change the ticket, but it's all sorted now, and my employer 'authorised' the holiday. I'm surprised they didn't charge you though.

Anyway, opodo just sent a new eticket.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.