Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK national having exercised right of residence in EEA/Switzerland Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm British, I've been living in Switzerland for 6 years (have a 'settlement' residence permit meaning basically I have permanent residence here) and I'm pretty certain I'm entitled completely to the full lot of finance, however, one bit in the relevant section in the student support regulations has slightly confused me and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. My sister applied last year with no problem but she was only 18 and I'm worried about it being different as I'm over 21.

It's this bit:

have been ordinarily resident in England and settled in the UK immediately before leaving the UK and exercising a right of residence (this means that, before leaving the UK, you must be either a UK national, or the family member of a UK national and you have settled status, or a person with the right of permanent residence, and you or your family member has been a worker or self-employed person, or a student or self-sufficient person somewhere in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, other than the UK)
    It's this bit in bold that slightly confuses me to begin with because of the bit 'you or your family member has been a worker, self employed person, student or self sufficient person'. As I am neither of these things (working, self employed, or self sufficient or a student) I should count as family member of someone who's exercised the right in the EEA and Switzerland (I was 16 when we moved here-I didn't exactly have a lot of choice about it).

But as the notes further down the page say:

Settled family members of a UK national who exercises a right of residence in the EEA and/or Switzerland who can be entitled to Student Support are:

-spouse or civil partner
    -direct descendants of the UK national, and of the UK national's spouse or civil partner, for example children or grandchildren; a direct descendant must also be under 21 years old or (if 21 or over) dependent on the UK national or dependent on the UK national's spouse or civil partner. If the UK national exercised a right of residence as a student, only dependent children count as family members
    -direct ascendants of the UK national or of the UK national's spouse or civil partner, for example parents and grandparents, who must be dependent on the UK national or dependent on the UK national's spouse or civil partner.
    -This does not apply to UK nationals who have exercised a right of residence as a student.
    Does this mean that since despite being 22, because I'm still dependent on my parents this includes me, right? I mean, it doesn't seem like they have any sort of special definition of 'dependent' so I'm guessing it simply means financially dependent...?

Sigh. I love how straight forward they like to make their wording :rolleyes:

Could just do with someone else's opinion as to whether I've read it right and it sounds like I've interpreted it right. :o:

ReputationRep:
    I suspect not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Basically, I'm British, I've been living in Switzerland for 6 years (have a 'settlement' residence permit meaning basically I have permanent residence here) and I'm pretty certain I'm entitled completely to the full lot of finance
    Yes, I believe you are entitled to the same funding as any other UK student.

This is because you can be classed as a UK citizen who has exercised their right to 'freedom of movement' within the EEA and Switzerland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    have been ordinarily resident in England and settled in the UK immediately before leaving the UK and exercising a right of residence (this means that, before leaving the UK, you must be either a UK national, or the family member of a UK national and you have settled status, or a person with the right of permanent residence, and you or your family member has been a worker or self-employed person, or a student or self-sufficient person somewhere in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, other than the UK)
    You are the UK national, not the family member of a UK national for these purposes.

ReputationRep:
    If you give the EU Team a quick call I am sure they could confirm your right to funding and put your mind ar rest as they are the experts in the EU aspect of the student support regulations:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_6000071

PO Box 89
    Darlington
    DL1 9AZ

(+44) (0) 141 243 3570
    [email protected]

Opening Hours Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.30 pm

While you are there, ask them if your online application needs a UK address (e.g. if you need to input the address of any relatives you may still have in the UK) or if it will accept an overseas address as I can't remember if it will let you input a non-UK address.

ReputationRep:
    While you are there, ask them if your online application needs a UK address (e.g. if you need to input the address of any relatives you may still have in the UK) or if it will accept an overseas address as I can't remember if it will let you input a non-UK address.
    I'm doing it on paper for exactly that reason.

Having read over it again I'm not half so worried. And like I said, my sister got everything last year with no problem. Either way, whatever I count as the whole section pretty much covers me as far as I can tell; I'm just the sort of person who worries over niggling details. :rolleyes: Thanks for the help anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.