Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do uni's group people into flats at Halls? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering the answer to this question because i've heard that they ask you personality questions on your application, is this true?

I know that they ask about same sex/mixed flats and smoking/ non smoking, but after this do they just fill the flats and hope you get along?

Thanks for any help in answering this thread.

ReputationRep:
    At warwick they make you write a few lines about yourself, but to be honest I think they pretty much just put random people together to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    My sister's uni grouped her and her flatmates together because they'd all had a gap year (and she also has another guy in her flat who's British but lives outside the UK but that might not have been intentional).

Unis probably all do it differently.

ReputationRep:
    I put N/A on my interests column :P, I think they try and get a diverse selection tbh, and I've noticed there's a token ethnic in each flat ;p (no joke) and usually an even mix of genders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    My sister's uni grouped her and her flatmates together because they'd all had a gap year (and she also has another guy in her flat who's British but lives outside the UK but that might not have been intentional).

Unis probably all do it differently.
    Sounds like that uni groups them well, hope the uni i'm going 2 does the same. Thank you everyone who replied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    I put N/A on my interests column :P, I think they try and get a diverse selection tbh, and I've noticed there's a token ethnic in each flat ;p (no joke) and usually an even mix of genders.
    What uni is this? mmu by any chance?:o:

ReputationRep:
    They get together a group of people with totally opposing likes, tastes and interests, selected using a psychological profiling technique to force together people who's personalities will clash as frequently as possible. Then they throw in a loud, obnoxious rugby jock who likes waking everyone up at 4am and leaves the kitchen as a reeking cesspit just for good measure.

If you are a light sleeper, they place your room next to a loud, rattling boiler or air conditioning unit, or on the ground floor next to a communal exit. If you are claustrophobic they stick you in a room only marginally larger than a shoebox. And if you are really fussy and clean, they put you in a room last occupied by some sweaty, greasy nerd with personal hygeine problems, to ensure you find crusty tissues and old toenail clippings under your bed for the next 3 months.

Welcome to uni halls, my friend.

ReputationRep:
    They sort you out depending on your political views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonlawguy)
    They get together a group of people with totally opposing likes, tastes and interests, selected using a psychological profiling technique to force together people who's personalities will clash as frequently as possible. Then they throw in a loud, obnoxious rugby jock who likes waking everyone up at 4am and leaves the kitchen as a reeking cesspit just for good measure.

If you are a light sleeper, they place your room next to a loud, rattling boiler or air conditioning unit, or on the ground floor next to a communal exit. If you are claustrophobic they stick you in a room only marginally larger than a shoebox. And if you are really fussy and clean, they put you in a room last occupied by some sweaty, greasy nerd with personal hygeine problems, to ensure you find crusty tissues and old toenail clippings under your bed for the next 3 months.

Welcome to uni halls, my friend.
    Glad to see you are enjoying living in halls :p: LOL

ReputationRep:
    Really??? my flat application went ensuite/standard and any additional comments that is it. They just did mine randomly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeline_B)
    What uni is this? mmu by any chance?:o:
    Manchester University

ReputationRep:
    I think it's just random. At my university there was, in most cases, 3 girls and 3 guys in each flat. I'm pretty sure it was done randomly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    They sort you out depending on your political views.
    A tamer version of Auschwitz? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    We were just shoved together.
    At some uni's its literally just picked out of a hat on the day of arrival and there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeline_B)
    Glad to see you are enjoying living in halls :p: LOL
    Well, it was a couple of yrs ago but yeah, it was 'interesting'!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Me and my girlfriend go to the same 6th form and are applying together. We were going to ring up in advance and ask if we could be placed near each other in the halls but were unsure if this would have any effect. Anyone had a similar experience? Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread if I've done so I just thought this was relevant.

ReputationRep:
    At most unis it seems to be random. In my kitchen, 6/8 are internationals, 5 of whom barely speak English and don't embrace British culture in any way, so we have nothing in common. I share a room and although my room-mate is nice, we have little in common either. So thethings we wrote about on the personality thing seem to have been ignored completely.

ReputationRep:
    I was put in a flat with four girls, it was the worst experience of my life.

Oh and first year girls are the most dirty humans you will ever meet.

ReputationRep:
    mine was 3 girls 3 boys all applied for accom after getting exam results so i think they had a long list of people and picked the 1st 3 boys then 3 girls we were lucky and survived each other, even if one girl did efectivly move out :P

ReputationRep:
    At my uni I think they just randomly group people together, I ended up living with 3 girls who were doing languages even though I asked for a mixed sex flat :shrug: But you can always move though if you don't get on with your flatmates, I did!

Also becareful you don't get put with physcho flatmates either, the girl I lived with in the first flat had a few 'issues' shall we say and wasn't the nicest person in the world :P and the next flat I moved into one of the girls had OCD so went crazy with histrionic hissy fits every five minutes.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.