i reallly dont understand!!!! please help
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by jak67m)
    i reallly dont understand!!!! please help
    Chain isomer you just change the position of the carbon atoms in the hydrocarbon chain:

methylpropane and butane

Positional isomers you move a heteroatom (ie one that is not C or H) to different positions on the chain:

1-chloropropane and 2-chloropropane

ReputationRep:
    This is best shown with examples. Let's take the formula C4H9OH, which in its simplest form, is CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2OH, butan-1-ol. A chain isomer would be CH3-CH2(CH3)-CH2OH, which is 2-methylpropan-1-ol. The carbon chain has been altered so that one methyl group is now a branch on the side.

Going back to butan-1-ol, the hydroxyl group can be moved to the second carbon so it is CH3-CH2-CHOH-CH3. This is butan-2-ol and is a positional isomer of butan-1-ol. Moving any functional group in this way gives positional isomers.

We can also have combinations of isomers. For example, CH3-C(CH3)(OH)-CH3, 2-methylpropan-2-ol, is both a chain isomer and positional isomer of butan-1-ol.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.