Turn on thread page Beta

Earthquakes in the Carribean (wtf)...... watch

ReputationRep:
    I was most shocked to hear the location of the earthquake, never heard of any happening in the carribean before... it's just so unexpected, feel sorry for them, they already deal with loads of hurricanes annualy and then get hit by an earthquake as well......

but the important question, all of this extreme and seemingly random weather, can it be blamed on global warming or is it just normal weather? i doubt that itj's just commonplace, it's deadliest earthquake to hit Haiti for 200 years and was 7.3 on the richter scale so yeah....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    but the important question, all of this extreme and seemingly random weather, can it be blamed on global warming or is it just normal weather? i doubt that itj's just commonplace, it's deadliest earthquake to hit Haiti for 200 years and was 7.3 on the richter scale so yeah....
    How the hell could you possibly blame an EARTHQUAKE on global warming? They had an even bigger one 200 years ago, are we going to blame that on global warming too?

Clearly you have no idea what causes earthquakes.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.livescience.com/environme...er-100113.html

ReputationRep:
    I think global "warming" is an indicator of temperature rather shaking grounds. I'm clearly too advanced to simplify my use of language.

ReputationRep:
    climate change? nah mate it was gordon brown

ReputationRep:
    I know man it's terrible listening to the news.

ReputationRep:
    Earthquakes are caused by the tectonic plates shifting and colliding with each other, causing vibrations and the vibrations = earthquake. Nothing to do with global warming.

It's such an awful disaster though, especially when it happens to one of the poorest countries in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Its very sad news. A lot of people are suffering so hopefully the international aid gets there quickly and efficiently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Low Profile)
    I think global "warming" is an indicator of temperature rather shaking grounds. I'm clearly too advanced to simplify my use of language.
    xD ok to try and pin this on global warming is a bit of a stretch fair enough

the point is that more extreme weather conditions and natural disasters' are caused by global warming but yes i realise earthquakes may not apply to this...

anyway it's notable that earthquakes seem to have been more frequent and powerful in recent years, the one in China in 2008, the one in Turkey i think the year before that, the earthquake that caused the 2004 Tsunami, now this one in Haiti... that's just completely natural?

ReputationRep:
    There should be lots of EQs there, its on a destructive plate boundary.

ReputationRep:
    I'll get warned again for saying this but...
    You're an absolute ******* moron OP

ReputationRep:
    It's not bit of a stretch - it's ludicrous. There is not even the vaguist possibly of there being a chance of even the most tenuous hope of a link between earthquakes and global warming.

And as I said before, if this is the most powerful earthquake in the region for 200 years, what caused the one 200 years ago, before the globe started to warm?

ReputationRep:

anyway it's notable that earthquakes seem to have been more frequent and powerful in recent years, the one in China in 2008, the one in Turkey i think the year before that, the earthquake that caused the 2004 Tsunami, now this one in Haiti... that's just completely natural?
    The Jehovah's Witnesses who knocked on my door a while back kept trying to tell me that the recent rise in earthquakes was indicative of the impending second coming of Jesus.
    I told them the same thing I'll tell you: you don't actually have any evidence earthquakes are increasing in frequency or strength - you've just observed a few recently and made an observation based on that. However, you can't then just come to conclusion that, because there are some now, there are more than before, without actually comparing them to what there was before, and I'm pretty sure there have always been powerful earthquakes, and I highly doubt the ones nowadays are particularly stronger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    It's not bit of a stretch - it's ludicrous. There is not even the vaguist possibly of there being a chance of even the most tenuous hope of a link between earthquakes and global warming.

And as I said before, if this is the most powerful earthquake in the region for 200 years, what caused the one 200 years ago, before the globe started to warm?
    you're right. i just thought of natural disasters - global warming and lumped earthquakes there as well.

but yeah Tetonic plate movement most likely isn't affected by temperature....

ReputationRep:
    you're right. i just thought of natural disasters - global warming and lumped earthquakes there as well.

but yeah Tetonic plate movement most likely isn't affected by temperature....

Could you please just say "earthquakes are definitely not affected or caused in any way by global warming"? Saying that there is 'most likely' no link doesn't really make you sound like any less of an idiot than you did originally.

ReputationRep:
    OP has managed to make a thread about a deadly disaster that made me laugh.

You seem to think that an earthquake is a type of weather? Yes, I think the ITV weather girl mentions them in between volcanoes and asteroids.

ReputationRep:

the point is that more extreme weather conditions and natural disasters' are caused by global warming but yes i realise earthquakes may not apply to this...

Yeah none of them are the biggest earthquakes there have been. There was a 9.2 one in 1964, so I guess by your logic the affects of global warming have been waning since then.

My God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Could you please just say "earthquakes are definitely not affected or caused in any way by global warming"? Saying that there is 'most likely' no link doesn't really make you sound like any less of an idiot than you did originally.
    I digress, heard about Teslas' earthquake machine and that experiment?

ok that has nothing to do with global warming but it proves that things other than just tetonic plate movement can cause earthquakes

http://www.excludedmiddle.com/earthquake.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    OP has managed to make a thread about a deadly disaster that made me laugh.

You seem to think that an earthquake is a type of weather? Yes, I think the ITV weather girl mentions them in between volcanoes and asteroids.
    That made me lol. I shall rep you in 11 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    I digress, heard about Teslas' earthquake machine and that experiment?

ok that has nothing to do with global warming but it proves that things other than just tetonic plate movement can cause earthquakes

http://www.excludedmiddle.com/earthquake.htm
    Ummm... so? My point was that you were being an idiot by suggesting a link between earthquakes and global warming.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.