Turn on thread page Beta

Which country is the most Americanised in Europe? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would say Germany strikes me as the most Americanised country in Europe. Germany has embraced American football to the extent the NFL even had a go at setting up a European league with the bulk of teams coming from Germany.

As far as I'm aware American football has never achived much popularity in Britain with most British people perceiving it as being a far too typically American came for them to take any interest.

Also, Germany is the only country in Europe to model its political system on an American decentralised, state-based structure, and in Germany cities, Germans have embraced the idea of skyscrapper building, while most European countries shy away from skyscrappers in favour of a flatter skyline to fit in with the historical buildings many European cities have. Heavy bombing of Germany may be to explain for some of it, but equally I still think it is to a certain extent the influence of American ideas of what is arcetectually desirable.

People often say the UK is the most Americanised country in Europe, but I feel this is a misconception. Most people say that because we speak the same language and politically have strong, probably far too strong ties with the US. However, on a cultural level I feel we aren't very much like the US at all, the bulk of the music many people listen to is British anyway, most of our TV is British, to be honest on the main TV stations you see very little in the way of imported American TV and just in general I feel we have limited cultural paralel with the US other than the language.

Where would you say is?

ReputationRep:
    japan

yeah its called a joke whoever negged me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    japan
    South Korea

ReputationRep:
    The UK, deffo.

ReputationRep:
    Culture as a single entity is more important over mere architectural and political comparisons, so I'd say that the UK shares the most in common with the US.

Just as an example, many of America's international corporations have HQs in the London covering the whole of the European and North African markets. ASDA is the largest subsidy of the Wal-Mart group, accounting for half its annual billion dollar revenues in respect to its international presence.

It's difficult to assess to what extent that America plays an influence in European countries; no one single country is directly comparable to it, but at the same time a select few do share basic and more advanced similarities as you have mentioned - Germany, the Philippines, South Korea, the UK, Ireland and Canada (although some of these are not in Europe) are definitely in the top few when the need to compare with the US arises.

ReputationRep:
    Overall, when things are weighed up, I would say it's the UK. But, I would then go on to say that the country Britain is most like in Europe is Germany or The Netherlands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    The UK, deffo.
    Being French (as far as I'm aware), your perception of the UK is likely to be from a more objective point of view - so why in particular would you say the UK is the most Americanised country in Europe, more so than any other?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Also, it's interesting that during Obama's presidential campaign, the European stop on his international tour was Berlin. Obviously, the whole campaign has advisers suggesting where the best reactions will be received and as a result they picked Germany - which seemed rather acurate, German youth seemed to lap him up.

He's popular in the UK, but I don't think Obama coming to London would receive quite such the fanatical, awe-struck response that he received in Berlin.

ReputationRep:
    The UK is the most Americanised country in Europe because they both possess individualistic, fast, busy and hectic lifestyles. In contrast, the Spanish, French and Italians are more laid back. The culture itself is very different. Its difficult to explain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak56)
    Being French (as far as I'm aware), your perception of the UK is likely to be from a more objective point of view - so why in particular would you say the UK is the most Americanised country in Europe, more so than any other?

Cheers
    Well, see, you did mention Politics, that's one point. But other than that, on a cultural point of view, food is a massive thing you have in common with them, as well as being huge TV fans (I may be stereotyping here, but not too much, I believe). I mean, it's a lot of small details like that that makes you close to the US, but in terms of people, English are pretty anti-US so I wouldn't relate the UK to the US on this plan. I didn't feel Germans were that close to the US, it seems like Merkel and Sarko are gonna have babies soon, lol, and well, I haven't lived in other countries, but Scandinavia is pretty much excluded, and I wouldn't say Luxembourg or Belgium have anything to do with the USA.

Oh and also, there's the history of the US that relates to the UK quite widly, but I guess there's not much you can do about it . Also, from outside the UK, you do appear as being closely related to them, and that's after having discussions with other EU students at my uni. But don't worry, won't make me leave, haha, you have a better uni system than most countries.

To be fair Germany were occupied by them so what do you expect? But no the UK is still America's *****.

ReputationRep:
    I'd guess the UK as we have more 'raw' imports as there's not a language barrier and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    But no the UK is still America's *****.
    Haha indeed, that says it all.

I like the UK (moving there soon), but aside from culture, a similarity they share is their hunger for control and power (and imo both are pompous), whereas the rest of Europe doesn't care much. They're happy just being European, a part of a big entity.

The Netherlands and Germany (maybe Belgium a little bit) are very English-oriented and open-minded towards the Anglophone world/culture, but their mentality is generally nothing like that of Americans. They are much more liberal.

ReputationRep:
    The 51st state aka the UK

ReputationRep:
    The UK is pretty much being americanised - quite saddening I suppose on some levels. By that I mean tv is just dominated by american shows now; channels no longer have the incentive to provide quality british humour like they used to - now it's just buying the next series of will and ******* grace, or whatever same old clichéd crap comes from their tv (apart from friends, that is one of the few american tv series I greatly admire). American music pretty much dominates the UK again, I'm not saying that's a bad thing though - we should embrace music from different cultures and countries, and American music is good anyway, or some of it.

In terms of food and so on, we share quite similar diets, we're both like a few of the only countries who still use first past the post, we speak the same language, have the same 'dress codes' for groups, or most groups - I don't know what the americanised 'chav' is like. Plus we have a ton of American businesses dominating the high street here. Then there's always that 'special relationship' between America and Britain I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I dont really understand how you can call Britain americanised considering the USA was formed from an ex-British colony, so the reality is they got most of their culture from us, rather than vice-versa.

Germanys political system was set up by the americans modelled on their own, so hardly a surprise there either.

ReputationRep:
    only similarity germany has to america off the top of my head is school shootings

then again what would I know I've never been to either country.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's Germany. As I've seen in news. Looks like Germany is Americanized in some ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    The UK.

:sigh:
    lol you just killed OP. Respect.

I would say Kazakhstan, but it's neither Americanised nor in Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    lol you just killed OP. Respect.
    Hardly, he stated his opinion in a rather obnoxious manner. The UK is not the most Americanised country in Europe, the fact they speak our language does not make us particularly similar.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.