Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm a terrible sleeper. I always have been. Even if I put myself in bed at a reasonable hour, I don't actually fall asleep until around 2am most nights - sometimes even later. This is crippling on my schedule, particularly for uni. Like many people I work best first thing in the morning, when I'm alert and refreshed - but I also need my 8 hours sleep, and am finding myself physically unable to get out of bed for complete exhaustion.

I've never been to a GP about this - is this something I should do? I'm not keen about taking sleeping pills, or any unnecessary drugs. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely go and see your GP!

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing any sport? I know Uni's busy and everything but if you can manage to get an hour of sport into your day it really will help. Not only will it make you physically tired but it will release endorphins which will help to de-stress you, thus making it easier for you to sleep. It will also make you *feel* healthier which will also help you in combatting insomnia.

Go to your GP if you want but remember that they're not going to be able to provide a miracle cure. They're on the whole reluctant to prescribe sleeping pills (which often have detrimental effects anyway). Mostly they'll just recommend sticking to a sleep pattern (ie trying to go to sleep and wake at exactly the same time everyday), getting lots of exercise and drinking milk.

I really hope this helps, insomnia isn't fun

ReputationRep:
    Do hard physical exercise before you go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend doing "hard serious exercise" before you go to bed. I've had insomnia for 5 years, still suffer regularly and doing that just makes my adrenaline go and so I can't sleep.

Aside from sleeping pills, I'd recommend meditation, Boots acupressure pads, exercise during the day and herbal teas. You could go to your GP but to be honest they may well just tell you basic stuff like exercise, a hot bath, warm glass of milk before bed etc.

ReputationRep:
    Warm milk with a splash of rum in it sometimes helps me.

ReputationRep:
    You should see you GP, he might offer you some home remedies

ReputationRep:
    I found going to bed earlier makes it worse, wait until you start yawning then head for bed, sleep is usually deeper then, well i found that anyway

ReputationRep:
    I'm having the same problem however i still seem to be awake come 3,4 and sometimes 5 in the morning. I'm loosing it! It's so frustrating not being able to nod off! This has been happening since November/December some time and i'm never with it enough to make sense of any of the lectures in the morning, i feel as if i just float in and float out again unable to recall anything that happened in the hour past. Argh. :mad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.