Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The labyrinth of Student Finance. Please help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello people at the student room.

I've been trying to understand where I stand with student finance, but it seems that their switchboard is operated by people who don't want me to go to University for one reason or another. (Hyperbole of course).

The situation:

-I am in the second year of a music course.
    -I am trying to leave, pay back the term I have done and start a new course from year one.
    -I thought that I could pay back my loan and start afresh, as student finance and I would be financially even.
    -I now know that this isn't the case. The loan still counts as 'used', even if I have given all of the money back!
    -I'm being told that I may have to pay international fees for the first two years of the course I was hoping to start. They will only cover one year now that the others are 'used'.
    -I cannot afford this as it would amount to £24,000.
    -I was under the impression that the laws introduced recently, only meant that graduates would have to pay international fees for a 'second' degree.

I hope that someone can clear this up for me. Preferably a human.
    Please tell me that this new law only applies to graduates.

If you can bring me this news (and it is also the truth), I can leave my mistake-of-a-course and start the one I really should have taken in the first place in september 2010.

Help me student room. You're my only hope.

Jacob

ReputationRep:
    Are you international, EU or British?
    What's the course you're leaving and where?
    Who told you you pay international fees - SFE or the university?

ReputationRep:
    SFE told and I'm British.

I'm leaving a Music course at Lipa in Liverpool.
    I haven't spoken to the University yet, as their offices closed before I heard all of this.

ReputationRep:
    The call centre are talking about ELQ but they are talking ********.

ELQ is only applicable if you finish a course and get a qualification and then want to study another course at exactly the same level

If you leave the course before you graduate then ELQ will never apply to you

So, onto your other query.

It is the number of years (or partial years) of study that affect your funding for a new course

When you enrolled on the second year of your course you automatically used up a year of funding. This is in the student support regulations and is 100% correct.

Part of the reason for this is that an organisation called HEFCE subsidise your course (course fees are usually around £10,000 and that is what overseas students usually have to pay as they do not get any help from the UK at all) and so when you enrol at any publicly funded university they give that university several thousand pounds.

Even students have never taken out a loan and paid their own fees have technically received funding, it is just that they may not have realised it.

EDIT:

If you have only studied for one and a bit years then the calculation for your new course (assuming it is 3 years) will be:

(Ordinary Duration of New Course + 1 Additional Year) - Previous Study

(OD + 1) - PS

(3 + 1) - 2 = 2 years remaining

So it is only the first year you will have to pay your own fees and those fees will be £3290 (maximum for 2010/11)

Sounds like the call centre person you spoke needs some more training on the student support regulations as well as the right questions to ask you in order to get the correct results.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify.
    Will the HEFCE still subsidise me because I haven't graduated yet?

In that case (as I only need to pay my tuition fees) I need to make £3225 for each individual year of study.

Is this correct?
    (please God be correct)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacoberry)
    Just to clarify.
    Will the HEFCE still subsidise me because I haven't graduated yet?

In that case (as I only need to pay my tuition fees) I need to make £3225 for each individual year of study.

Is this correct?
    (please God be correct)
    I never really thought about but all I know is that your university will not charge you more than the maximum fee loan rate available to other students.

Call them tomorrow to check and I am sure they will be able to put your mind at rest.

HEFCE brought in the ELQ rule a year or so ago and it only applies to HND students who already have an HND/FD or degree students who already have a degree so you have absolutely nothing to worry about there.

So I guess the answer is yes, HEFCE will still be subsidising your fees.

Oh, and just for information in case anyone else is reading this - FD courses are exempt from ELQ so it is even possible to do two FD courses in a row and only pay home fees rather than international fees.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much.

This has been brilliant.
    I've been distraught today, thinking that I couldn't afford to go to University.
    Now I can sleep a little easier.
    £3225 is a stretch, but far more realistically achievable than £12,000

Thankyou again.

ReputationRep:
    Now you need to find someone at SFE who knows the regulations as well as ASCIIcipher. I don't envy you the search!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    I don't envy you the search!
    :lol:

The call centre staff in Glasgow do their best with the limited training they get but without a few years of experience processing forms it is difficult to keep up with all the regulations

Luckily, the people processing the forms at Darlington on behalf of SFE have more knowledge

It is just a shame that students can't actually speak to them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.