Turn on thread page Beta

I'm 21 and a virgin. I've never had a serious boyfriend, and am not interested in losing my virginity until I meet someone special. I'm not ashamed about this (although have never told anyone - I guess people just assume. I've actually never been asked anything like 'when did you lose your virginity' etc etc.)

But chatting with someone the other day, about her own sex life, she asked me how many people I'd slept with - and not wanting to sound childish or prudish, I said '7', without hesitation.

I don't know why I did this - she obviously assumed I wasn't a virgin, even though she knows I've never been in a serious relationship. Do you think most people assume that people (especially those in their 20s) are not virgins? Does anyone else lie to their friends and/or family about their virginity and sexual experiences?

ReputationRep:
    So you say you're not ashamed about the fact you're a virgin, but yet you lied about it to conceal the fact you are? Hmmm, doesn't quite add up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaizane)
    So you say you're not ashamed about the fact you're a virgin, but yet you lied about it to conceal the fact you are? Hmmm, doesn't quite add up.
    This, pretty much. I guess, said person probably won't find out the truth so there's nothing as such to worry about. Just that if you genuinely didn't care or weren't ashamed, you would have told her 0. Anyway, it's nothing to be ashamed of - people do things at different stages of their lives.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I ever have. People have asked while talking about it and I just tell them the truth [that I am a virgin], my philosophy on the matter. It's never been a problem because normally if someone is asking me that kind of stuff they are a friend who knows me pretty well and understands.

If I did lie to someone that I wasn't and they were a close friend, I'd probably end up admitting it later on... If it ever came up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 21 and a virgin. I've never had a serious boyfriend, and am not interested in losing my virginity until I meet someone special. I'm not ashamed about this (although have never told anyone - I guess people just assume. I've actually never been asked anything like 'when did you lose your virginity' etc etc.)

But chatting with someone the other day, about her own sex life, she asked me how many people I'd slept with - and not wanting to sound childish or prudish, I said '7', without hesitation.

I don't know why I did this - she obviously assumed I wasn't a virgin, even though she knows I've never been in a serious relationship. Do you think most people assume that people (especially those in their 20s) are not virgins? Does anyone else lie to their friends and/or family about their virginity and sexual experiences?
    Mate this may sound weird but I would seriously consider going back to her and telling her that you're actually a virgin and you lied.

I think honesty is important and it would be good for you if you could talk about it with people. I'm glad you said you're not ashamed about it, but if you really mean this, which I'm sure you do I think you should set things straight.

In my friend group I lost my virginity pretty late. I think I have lied about girlfriends in the past (making numbers up) but not virginity but I think it's the same thing really. (not literally).

Telling someone would be a good idea, and I think this girl would respect you a lot for your honesty and coming back to her. I would If I were her.

ReputationRep:
    er nope. told the truth

ReputationRep:
    Rule of 3;

Guys times the number by 3 people, girls divide their number by 3.

However, ive never known it to be true. As for lying... yes. Or no. TBH im not sure what counts as sex, if its as simple as inserting **** into vagina then I get one number, but if you asked me how many people I consider myself to have slept with the answer would be lower. "Sex" and "proper sex." Lolz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HyperGiant)
    Mate this may sound weird but I would seriously consider going back to her and telling her that you're actually a virgin and you lied.

I think honesty is important and it would be good for you if you could talk about it with people. I'm glad you said you're not ashamed about it, but if you really mean this, which I'm sure you do I think you should set things straight.

In my friend group I lost my virginity pretty late. I think I have lied about girlfriends in the past (making numbers up) but not virginity but I think it's the same thing really. (not literally).

Telling someone would be a good idea, and I think this girl would respect you a lot for your honesty and coming back to her. I would If I were her.
    Jesus thats a self righteous post aint it?! What good could possibly come of going back and saying "erm... yea.... I lied." Just keep quiet on it and nobody is the wiser. Particularly when you admit to lying about your gfs in the past. Hipocritical much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Jesus thats a self righteous post aint it?! What good could possibly come of going back and saying "erm... yea.... I lied." Just keep quiet on it and nobody is the wiser. Particularly when you admit to lying about your gfs in the past. Hipocritical much?
    Do not be mistaken. I am not saying that I am the perfect example to follow, I make as many mistakes as everyone else, possibly more.

What good could come:
    a) she may feel more unashamed about being a virgin
    b) she may feel more free to talk about her virginity with people which she hasn't done before
    c) the person she lied to might respect her for her honesty

I think they are good reasons.
    I'm sorry that may have sounded self righteous, I just thought it would be a good idea. Don't worry, I don't feel a smug sense of moral superiority, I probably would have done the same in her situation. Just my thoughts on how to right a wrong, and I think no harm would come of it.

Feel free to disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Question is mate. Why did you lie?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.