Turn on thread page Beta

Postgraduate Journalism.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey

First of all, I know journalism as a career is extremely competitive but I've put my mind to it and this is what I want to do .

Here's my situation:

By 2012 I will have graduated with an arts degree (hopefully at least a 2:1) and I will have gained work experience.

I'd like to study Journalism on an NCTJ accredited course - print/newspaper journalism in particular. I've done some research and I hear that Cardiff and City University London, although fiercely competitive, are the best 2 options. However, I seriously doubt that I will be able to afford to take either of these courses. Even if I got a scholarship to cover tuition fees I would still have rent and living costs to consider - I would be up to my eyeballs in debt.

So my other options are an NCTJ accredited Masters (I'm thinking Sheffield University) but still, the cost would be insane. Finally, a NCTJ accredited college course which I could study in the city I live in - stay at home with my parents and save myself a lot of cash and possibly get some funding. Here's what I've found:

http://www.liv-coll.ac.uk/CourseInfo...e.aspx?ID=1128

This is my best option financially.

[Here's the list of all of the courses available (if only I had the cash!):

http://www.nctj.com/accreditednews.p...id=journal_id]

I just want an honest opinion, is the College course going to be taken seriously and will it get me anywhere? Or do I need to find a way to get onto a postgrad diploma like Cardiff's?

Finally: What is the difference between the postgrad diploma and the MA? Is one viewed as superior to the other or are they both well respected?

Thank you in advance

Oh and definitely finally: if all else fails and I end up studying a Masters in an urelated field (at home) and don't take any NCTJ accredited courses is there still a possibility of entering a career in journalism (with experience) or is the NCTJ qualification essential?

Thank you if you read through that

ReputationRep:
    Ooo, all questions I was about to post. *eagerly awaits responses*

ReputationRep:
    Nobody I know who is a Journalist did any sort of Journalism education. Get some freelance experience and then transition to bigger publications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)

Oh and definitely finally: if all else fails and I end up studying a Masters in an urelated field (at home) and don't take any NCTJ accredited courses is there still a possibility of entering a career in journalism (with experience) or is the NCTJ qualification essential?

Thank you if you read through that

Hey there - I'm afraid I can't help you with your other questions, don't know jack squat about journalism or art degrees... but in terms of doing your masters at home - this might help you set up your back up plan: read some of the info on http://www.mastersdegree.net - loads of articles and info on different programs. Hope that helps

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.