Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Microgynon turned me into a hyper-emotional rabid lunatic!

I first started taking it a couple of years ago, but after 8 months or so I realised how tempremental and moody I was, I'd try my best not to lash out at people; instead I'd lock myself away for hours and just cry and throw my pillow around the room. It was pretty awful. I saw my GP about it and she put me on Yasmin, mood wise I was perfect, but the major problem was that it completely destroyed my sex drive.

Recently I saw my GP again, and she's put me back on Microgynon to see whether it would be different this time. After the first packet I had to stop, all the problems that occurred first time around were re-emerging again, and I couldn't afford to be in that state during a busy uni period.

As soon as I get the time to see the GP again, I think I'm going to request a different type of contraception...

ReputationRep:
    I hate it too. As well as the terrible mood swings, my appetite has doubled.
    My doctor put me on it because my periods were irregular - sometimes I'd go around 6 weeks without a period - and although I'm more regular now, I'm experiencing random bleeding inbetween which isn't nice at all!
    I'm seeing my doctor on Friday to see if I can change to anything else though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Nombre)
    Microgynon turned me into a hyper-emotional rabid lunatic!

I first started taking it a couple of years ago, but after 8 months or so I realised how tempremental and moody I was, I'd try my best not to lash out at people; instead I'd lock myself away for hours and just cry and throw my pillow around the room. It was pretty awful. I saw my GP about it and she put me on Yasmin, mood wise I was perfect, but the major problem was that it completely destroyed my sex drive.

Recently I saw my GP again, and she's put me back on Microgynon to see whether it would be different this time. After the first packet I had to stop, all the problems that occurred first time around were re-emerging again, and I couldn't afford to be in that state during a busy uni period.

As soon as I get the time to see the GP again, I think I'm going to request a different type of contraception...
    How stupid, why would she put you BACK on the pill you had such a bad time with? There are loads of others she could've let you try!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    How stupid, why would she put you BACK on the pill you had such a bad time with? There are loads of others she could've let you try!
    Ugh, she’s a rubbish GP tbh. I remember once my mum was suffering from excruciatingly abdominal pain and frequent periods of regurgitation, she kept going to our GP about it, but the GP kept dismissing it as nothing, advising her to 'just take painkillers.' Eventually, my dad took my mum to the hospital; turns out she had gallstones, a problem perpetuated by over-the-counter pain killers!

I’m going to try to see if I can see a different GP next time, or maybe even go to the family planning clinic instead...

ReputationRep:
    I was on Microgynon for about 3 months and came off it, mainly because it was giving me migraines (which I had never been having before). It did make me a bit more anxious than normal too.
    Now I have an Implant and its great, no worry about taking pills

ReputationRep:
    It was awful, I was on it for about 10 months before eventually giving up and about 6 months into that I was extremely extremely down, which in hindsight I link to it quite a bit.

I recently tried it again but managed about 2 weeks- managing to mess up the timespan around exams which I'm really regretting now, I've been a mess :s

I think I'm just going to try another form of contraception whether its the arm implant or injection... I'm past caring about weight gains or whatever as long as I avoid the moodswings!

ReputationRep:
    This is a very old post, apologies for the late reply, only just saw the quote in my email.

Anyway...

I have heard form different sources that microgynon has lowered their sex drives.

To be honest, I am not sure that there are many (any?) versions of the pill which don't have serious side effects.

ReputationRep:
    I took Microgynon for about a year as well and put all of the side-effects down to my depression. It made me an awful person, ratty at everyone, extremely emotional and just feeling very out of control. I researched the effect of Microgynon on women who already have depression and there were a lot of women saying that it magnified all of their problems. I went to my doctor and he immediately switched me to Cerazette which is so much better for me. I'm so glad I switched.

ReputationRep:
    I hate to say this but microgynon has been absolutely perfect for me no wait gain, no mood swings, no babies

ReputationRep:
    It was a bloody awful experience for me on Microgynon. I was irritable, overly-emotional, I gained a hideous amount of weight and my breast increased about 2 cup sizes which I definitely did not want. It's put me off the pill completely.

ReputationRep:
    I was just completely off it, i was a complete fruit loop on Mycrogynon.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on it for 2 years and realised probably a few months ago how paranoid, emotional and irritable it has made me. I miss the person I was before I went on the pill. I was so happy-go-lucky and I never ever once had a paranoid thought about my boyfriend.

Almost immediately after starting microgynon I started accusing him of being attracted to his female friends, checking his emails obsessively and stuff like that. I now realise this was due to the pill as the change in behaviour was so instant and shocking. I've since settled with it a bit and I am able to stop myself having a go at him over nothing.....but I still feel anxious and down a lot.

Stupidly I've stuck with this pill for two years as there just never seems to be a good time to switch! It'll either be my bfs birthday coming up or a special date we have planned and I won't want to switch because I'm worried about not being protected/experiencing breakthrough bleeding.

When we've both got jobs and are living together (a time when having an unplanned pregnancy wouldn't be the end of our worlds and would be a happy accident) we will 100% switch back to condoms and I won't put myself through this hormonal contraception malarky!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've been on it for nearly 4 months, I haven't had any moodswings and I've actually lost weight but I think it might be messing with my sexytimes which kinda defeats the whole purpose. Idk, anyone else feel like they've lost interest a bit?

ReputationRep:
    I felt like Microgynon totally knocked me off my head, I had the same side effects as you're describing - short tempered, emotional, the lot. I came off the pill on my own and didn't speak to my GP or anyone else for that matter and I feel it totally imbalanced me mentally. It was more a case of thinking it would go away and it was just a temporary side effect but 10 months later isn't exactly temporary! If they do say you would have known by now just say what you've said to us, you thought it was circumstantial i.e. if you were under stress at uni etc. If it is what's causing your emotional upset the sooner you deal with it the better! Take care

ReputationRep:
    I noticed within the first week when I was on it. Also, speak to your doctor about it, I am sure they won't say "no, its not from the pill you are making it up!", they'll more than likely prescribe you another brand. That's what they did for me.

ReputationRep:
    I was on Microgynon when I was 16 and stayed on it for about a year before realising it could be contributing to my extreme mood swings. Within a couple of weeks of coming of it I felt like a different person! Defs try a different pill if you're not happy on it.

ReputationRep:
    I started Micro a month or two into Uni.

Before taking it, I was always completely happy and crazy, was hardly ever emotional. How it changed!

It made me put on a stone and half within 2 months, which really affected me badly!!!
    It made me completely unstable and has made my Uni experience not so good at the moment ((

I've become someone I don't like!
    When I went to the doctor she questioned whether it was because I just moved to Uni, I know what I am and what I am not, defo was not this fact, I couldn't wait to get to Uni and am I really independent person and can cope by myself so much

the side of my family to which I take completely after in every aspect. Even the weight. My Aunts are now very close to their 50's and still slender size 10's. That is what I used to be like until I started Micro, I used to eat so much and not put on any weight. People used to say how skinny I was and this extra weight gain looked better, But being a female you get happy into the size you have always been, and this extra weight has not made me happy in the slightest.

Not only this but my periods had been terrible! Really nasty, proper heavy and nasty pains.

So because of this horrible pill, I am now off it! I have been put on Marvelon, however people have said about bad side effects of this pill. But there's always going to be people who don't get on with certain pills. If you compare every bad thing that has been said about Microgynon with what has been said about Marvelon, fingers crossed it shall work for me!!!

Jo
    xx

I hated this pill..It was ok for about 3 months, but I gained half a stone, was on my period for 2 months and i felt like everything my boyfriend did I tried to make an argument from it. I feel guilty but i really just wasnt myself. I swapped to Loestrin 20 and the bleeding got worse, I felt like i was going to pass out and it was during exams, terrible. Now on Cerzette, so far so good, no effect on weight or appetite or moods. Howveer my boobs have shrunk back haha, i got used to having nice big boobs on microgynon and loestrin.

ReputationRep:
    How much weight do you find you gain been on mircogynon 30? I hate it, it makes me feel sick I don't like taking any of these pills but for medical reasons I have to take it for a few months..

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm on my 12th day of being on this pill and honestly I feel really sick, its coming in like waves and I feel like I'm about to puke, haven't eaten anything today yet and I've taken cold and flu tablets... I can't eat because I feel so ill... is this the cold or the pill... or both? Also if anyone has had this before how long till it goes away... hating it right now!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.