Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So, I'm hating Microgynon 30 at the moment... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leostar86)
    How much weight do you find you gain been on mircogynon 30? I hate it, it makes me feel sick I don't like taking any of these pills but for medical reasons I have to take it for a few months..
    the pill doesn't make you gain weight, it just increases your appetite so if you can control that and not eat between meals, you shouldn't put on much weight at all. Saying that I've put on a good 7 pounds since going on microgynon

(Original post by jonogoloko)
    Hey I'm on my 12th day of being on this pill and honestly I feel really sick, its coming in like waves and I feel like I'm about to puke, haven't eaten anything today yet and I've taken cold and flu tablets... I can't eat because I feel so ill... is this the cold or the pill... or both? Also if anyone has had this before how long till it goes away... hating it right now!
    Stick it out, 12 days isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. It could just be an unfortunate coincidence that you're ill at the same time, so I wouldn't blame it on the pill only. Most doctors give the pill for 3 months the first time, try to stick it out that long and if you still feel awful after that time, then go back to your doctor/fpc for a different type of pill.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been on microgynon 30 for about 14 months and I am only taking it to control endometriosis symptoms. The last 5 months or so have been hell and I have been suffering with an anxiety disorder and mild depression. I have only just thought it may be down to the pill... Had a lot of stress last year and a lot of distractions as well, so only noticed the anxiety and low moods about 5 months ago. I wonder if this is related to the pill? Anyone had any similar symptoms? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone dramatically gotten bad skin on their foreheads?? I'm freak but out, over the last 6 years Ive been on like 5 diff pills, which pill would people recommend to clear up skin x

I have been taking this pill for ages and notice during the break and coming up to break me and my boyfriend constantly argue and I cry about nothing and cant focus. During the middle section of taking the pill Im extremely focused, happy, couldnt care about anything and enjoy time with my boyfriend.

I use it for contraception but still use condoms, but if something goes wrong then I am at risk, so its my back up. However is it worth it...

Also, the other contraceptive methods sound just as bad or worse!

I wanted to come off the pill in feburary but Ive read it can make you even more mood swingy and I have to be mentally stable for my a levels.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I have been taking this pill for ages and notice during the break and coming up to break me and my boyfriend constantly argue and I cry about nothing and cant focus. During the middle section of taking the pill Im extremely focused, happy, couldnt care about anything and enjoy time with my boyfriend.

I use it for contraception but still use condoms, but if something goes wrong then I am at risk, so its my back up. However is it worth it...

Also, the other contraceptive methods sound just as bad or worse!

I wanted to come off the pill in feburary but Ive read it can make you even more mood swingy and I have to be mentally stable for my a levels.
    In addition, i have put on weight. Not considerably but my metabolism have definitely lowered.

Hi all, I don't if I will get any reply to this. But I am on Microgynon 30 now (finished the pack 2 days ago), I was on Microgynon 30 ED family planning for 2 months. This is one of the worst pills that I have ever experienced. 1. I almost gained 10 lbs, which I have lost 5 of in the last week or so2. My boobs went from a B cup to C cup, breast were HORRIBLY sore during the the month3. I recently noticed that I have a temperature4. My aerolas have darken5. I have been depressed, very paranoid, anxious, cranky, miserable.6. In the last few days, my temperature increased. 7. I would get a tad bit nauseous 8. Sharp chest pains, and sharp pains in my breastWhat I have been paranoid about is the fact that I could be pregnant. I had sex in December last year, on the day of ovulation without protection. Since then, my period came late in December but it was on time and like normal in January and February. Recently I have been feeling movements in my stomach, it could be gas because most of the time, I pass gas within 2 - 5 minutes after the movements. Not only am I feeling them in my stomach but all through my body. I have taken 3 pregnancy test with the last 4 months and all I have been negative. Honestly, I am well aware that the possibility of my being pregnant is bizarre after taking so many pregnancy test and also having an ultrasound 2 weeks after the fact of having sex. The paranoia and the anxiety gets to me the most. I am just wondering at this stage, how long does the microgynon takes to get out of your system. This pill is not go everyone. And it doesn't seem like the patient leaflets for microgynon is being updated. I have been documenting my symptoms on an app and I will be going to be my gyne on Tuesday, if anyone is experiencing these symptoms, I advise them to go to the doctors immediately and get yourself checked out. I usually have bad periods, I have been diagnosed with PCOS and retroverted uterus, I also suspect that I have endometriosis so there are a lot of factors at play here. I hope anyone that was on this pill and experiencing these symptoms or worse, or even less, I hope you find relief. And if this is the best that you can do, God speed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I don't if I will get any reply to this. But I am on Microgynon 30 now (finished the pack 2 days ago), I was on Microgynon 30 ED family planning for 2 months. This is one of the worst pills that I have ever experienced.

1. I almost gained 10 lbs, which I have lost 5 of in the last week or so
    2. My boobs went from a B cup to C cup, breast were HORRIBLY sore during the the month
    3. I recently noticed that I have a temperature
    4. My aerolas have darken
    5. I have been depressed, very paranoid, anxious, cranky, miserable.
    6. In the last few days, my temperature increased.
    7. I would get a tad bit nauseous
    8. Sharp chest pains, and sharp pains in my breast

What I have been paranoid about is the fact that I could be pregnant. I had sex in December last year, on the day of ovulation without protection. Since then, my period came late in December but it was on time and like normal in January and February. Recently I have been feeling movements in my stomach, it could be gas because most of the time, I pass gas within 2 - 5 minutes after the movements. Not only am I feeling them in my stomach but all through my body. I have taken 3 pregnancy test with the last 4 months and all I have been negative. Honestly, I am well aware that the possibility of my being pregnant is bizarre after taking so many pregnancy test and also having an ultrasound 2 weeks after the fact of having sex. The paranoia and the anxiety gets to me the most. I am just wondering at this stage, how long does the microgynon takes to get out of your system.

This pill is not go everyone. And it doesn't seem like the patient leaflets for microgynon is being updated.

I have been documenting my symptoms on an app and I will be going to be my gyne on Tuesday, if anyone is experiencing these symptoms, I advise them to go to the doctors immediately and get yourself checked out. I usually have bad periods, I have been diagnosed with PCOS and retroverted uterus, I also suspect that I have endometriosis so there are a lot of factors at play here.

I hope anyone that was on this pill and experiencing these symptoms or worse, or even less, I hope you find relief. And if this is the best that you can do, God speed.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on Microgynon for about 8 months and I've been fine - shorter and lighter periods, less oily hair, less spot breakouts, no effect on weight or mood. I'm not sexually active, I'm on it to regulate my periods, but I'd say my libido is about the same? I felt kind of nauseous for the first week or so, but I'm not sure if that was the pill or just a sickness bug.

But one of my friends was on it for a few months and got all of the symptoms that everyone else has been saying about - weight gain, mood swings, loss of libido etc.

tl;dr - It affects everyone differently, just because you've got different side effects to other people doesn't mean your symptoms aren't real.

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr - It affects everyone differently, just because you've got different side effects to other people doesn't mean your symptoms aren't real.

I love this statement that you made, because I am finding that on different message boards or forums, the symptoms are different and might sometimes seem crazy but the symptoms are real and some people come to these forums looking for support and knowing that others experience the same things and finding out how they handle it helps.

ReputationRep:
    I work in a pharmacy and get asked questions like this all the time.

From personal experience I've been taking Rigevidon for nearly 2 years, the same drug combination as Microgynon 30. I found initially for the first 3 months I had terrible headaches and nausea but these eventually subsided and settled down. I now get much lighter periods, less spots and I can cope with the loss of libido. I mean it's ultimately better than being pregnant so young.

The bonus of ethinylestradiol and levonorgestrel combination pills (Rigevidon, Microgynon, Levest, Ovranette, Maexeni, Elevin... yes these really all are the same thing!) is that you have a 12 hour window between taking a pill the previous day and officially 'missing' a pill. Some hormonal contraceptives have to be taken within 2 hours of the time the previous day or are classed as a missed pill.

But here's the thing, the pill does not make you put on weight. The only thing it may alter is the water retention within the body - but any additional pounds you put you'll find you'll lose instantly as soon as you come off the pill. It's been proven, there is no link between hormonal contraceptives and weight gain.

If you're experiencing side effects, depending on the severity, the advice is to stick it out for the first few months. The more you switch around hormonal pills the longer it will take for your body to adjust. You also have to remember that your lifestyle changes too - hormones and mood changes are not entirely down to the basis you're taking the pill. People still experience PMS and stress levels contribute massively to overall mental health.

Don't brush it off before you've spent a good time trying to settle into it. Remember that even coming off the pill it can take up to 2 years for your body to fully adjust and many will struggle to conceive in this 'down' period. It's exactly the same going on the pill.

ReputationRep:
    I have been on microgymon for a. Couple of months now and I have turned into an unreasonable emotional ***** from hell. If I carry on with it I will lose my boyfriend and my job. Feel so angry and depressed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've just started microgyn 30 because I have bad anxiety and it should help me dure in the course of my exams. I cannot say wether it's helped me emotionally yet, however I do know it's brought out spots! Which I don't normally get!? Would you be able to help me!!?

ReputationRep:
    It took me 6 years to realise that this pill was affecting my moods and the cause of my low sex drive. 6 years I was on that shite and didn’t realise the effects it took on me. 🙄

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.