Turn on thread page Beta

Natwest charges... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've just been charged twice, once for £20 and another for £15. Let it be said that just over three weeks ago, I was in debt by about £17 (card payment went through late etc), and I incurred the charges, as it was a fair cop. I had zero cash at the time, couldnt make it into the black etc, though after being charged, I was back in the back less than 7 days later.

Anyway, I've been well in the clear since, yet Natwest have thrust upon me two seperate charges for the same deficit nearly a month ago. Can they do this? Or are they trying to screw me? I know it's Natwest's policy to notify you the date of when you will be charged.

I paid the charges for going over, fair enough. Though charging me again? I wasn't even in the red, I have over £250 in there! I'm going in tomorrow to rip the managers head off, though I'm wondering if anyone else has had this.

ReputationRep:
    Rip his head off my son.

ReputationRep:
    Yup...they've taken off me £300 in charges where it genuinely wasn't my fault...and I'm tryna claim it back...

ReputationRep:
    It's happened to my girlfriend three times now, and every time she's gone in and threatened to cancel her account. Needless to say the charges were soon dropped!

Anyone with experience doing this with Natwest? I'm planning on playing the notification card, as they slapped these charges on me out of the blue, with no warranting cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamkund)
    I've just been charged twice, once for £20 and another for £15. Let it be said that just over three weeks ago, I was in debt by about £17 (card payment went through late etc), and I incurred the charges, as it was a fair cop. I had zero cash at the time, couldnt make it into the black etc, though after being charged, I was back in the back less than 7 days later.

Anyway, I've been well in the clear since, yet Natwest have thrust upon me two seperate charges for the same deficit nearly a month ago. Can they do this? Or are they trying to screw me? I know it's Natwest's policy to notify you the date of when you will be charged.

I paid the charges for going over, fair enough. Though charging me again? I wasn't even in the red, I have over £250 in there! I'm going in tomorrow to rip the managers head off, though I'm wondering if anyone else has had this.
    Going in to your branch is a good idea here, but not with this attitude toward them. If you explain your position calmly and make it clear that this isn't something that you expect to happen repeatedly in the future, you may well be able to get them to waive the charges without much difficulty. Be forceful but not overly aggressive and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Going in to your branch is a good idea here, but not with this attitude toward them. If you explain your position calmly and make it clear that this isn't something that you expect to happen repeatedly in the future, you may well be able to get them to waive the charges without much difficulty. Be forceful but not overly aggressive and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.
    I was exaggerating slightly, as I'm not that kind of person unless consistently provoked. So they'll likely toss the charges, eh?

Excellent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamkund)
    I was exaggerating slightly, as I'm not that kind of person unless consistently provoked. So they'll likely toss the charges, eh?

Excellent.
    No guarantees, but it's certainly worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    Since the court case they won you've little chance I shoukd think.

ReputationRep:
    Notification of any changes should be on your bank statement. It could be a mistake on their part, or you could have been overdrawn after the new statement date. in which case, you would have two lots of charges, one for each statement.

It is worth while going in to check

ReputationRep:
    If it is your first charge, banks have been known to let customers off in the past. You could go in and ask them but as said above the "ripping peoples head off" attitude will get you nowhere - yes I know it is often what we'd like to do, but it gives you a much lower chance of getting what you want.

ReputationRep:
    only advice: go to your local CAB

I had the same type of charge charge ( late payment, my fault but first time) even though ive got the experience of dealing with this problem sent letters asking for a goodwill gesture, went countless times at the desk and told them i would go to the CAB anyways they refused.

Then I just asked my collegue to write a CAB letter and i got the 50£ charge back

funny what 3 little letters can do...

ReputationRep:
    didn't work for me so no guarantee!

ReputationRep:
    the goodwill gesture usually only applies for the first time you have an unauthorised overdraft.
    However the CAB knows your rights, they will check if there is any mistake on the bank's part, if so they can call on your behalf and negociate. If you are not in wrong they can still help you sort out you debt problems and prevent it from growing by finding funds, checking your benefits, negociating with bank. trust me they do magic, go.

i wish the test case was confirmed and the UCT Act applied, banks have been ******* around for too long.

The manager at RBS ( yea she wasn't the brightest) told me that since the crisis much less charges were being waived...

that's what happens we bail them out and then they charge us more to pay it back,
    the dumb people is paying twice the price.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.