Turn on thread page Beta

How do scientists know that atoms exist? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know this might sound like a ridiculously simple question, but how do scientists actually know about the structure of atoms and their constituent parts? Who proved it? If they're so small, how the hell do they actually know all the stuff seen in chemistry books?

And what do scientists mean when they say they've 'fired' particles in experiments? How can they even do that? How can they 'fire' an electron?

How do we know that the universe is made up of trillions and trillions of these little things called 'atoms'?

ReputationRep:
    They got protons in their pants, innit. :gangster:

ReputationRep:
    Well it's just belief, not fact. most things in life are whether religion, God, science, you name it. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing microscopes come into the equation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Well it's just belief, not fact. most things in life are whether religion, God, science, you name it. :yep:
    Are you actaully saying that Atom's dont exsist....

ReputationRep:
    No they don't, it's all just one big theory.

They know something exists but exactly what it is is unknown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fugeh)
    Are you actaully saying that Atom's dont exsist....
    I'm saying most things in life are made up. Whether science, religion, God, etc.

So yes, atoms don't exist.

(Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I'm saying most things in life are made up. Whether science, religion, God, etc.

So yes, atoms don't exist.

Incorrect, thats how we know.

ReputationRep:
    They don't. It's a massive scam.

ReputationRep:
    Um, they observe them...

I'm actually shocked at how people think atoms are entirely theoretical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    No they don't, it's all just one big theory.

They know something exists but exactly what it is is unknown.
    What the hell? So the typical picture of atoms you see in chemistry books might not be accurate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann)
    Um, they observe them...

I'm actually shocked at how people think atoms are entirely theoretical.
    How can they possibly observe them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    What the hell? So the typical picture of atoms you see in chemistry books might not be accurate?
    Yep. Originally they thought is was like a pudding with plums spread randomly throughout the middle, then it was the ones in your text books, now they are starting to rethink it again slightly.

The basic principles are still true, they just aren't sure exactly what the 'atom' actually is.

ReputationRep:
    With a scanning force microscope. It's quite possible.

Check picture I posted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)

Incorrect, thats how we know.
    What the hell is that?

ReputationRep:
    They use a machine that sends a small electrical charge from a tiny point onto atoms and can then produce an image of the 'outline' the atoms. See the image posted earlier in the thread.

What the hell is that?
    5 carbon bonds.

ReputationRep:
    I know you can sort of see atoms with an electron microscope or using diffraction or whatever , I cant remember,
    but I'd like to know how particle physicists managed to come up with quarks.

ReputationRep:
    The picture in GCSE/A Level isn't. Whilst there is a a nucleus of protons and neutrons at the centre the electrons don't orbit like in the solar system, they isntead obey the probabilistic laws of quantum theory but they don't tell you this as it is harder to understand.

They can see atoms with electron micrscopes like someone posted earlier and with particle acclerators like Rutherfords where he fired aplha particles a thin gold and looked at the trajectories of the alpha particles having passed through/collided with the gold atoms.n This is how they know most of the mass is in a dense nucleus at the centre.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.